Black Beard Algae or BBA

Hello 

I'm sure this is a common topic and have searched numerous forums including all social media .... How to get rid of it. Yes I have Siemese Algea eater (SAE), with no success, also tried hydrogen peroxide on the decorations. Is there anything that can eliminate it from plants and surfaces in the tank.

Much appreciated 

Bryan

Removing plants/leaves that are beyond saving then spot treating with h2o2 is the most effective way. Either by removing the plant for treatment or dropping the water level low enough. Same with hardscape and any other areas.

Treating the entire aquarium is also possible but it's hit or miss and is stressful for fish or finicky plants. 

I appreciate some of the responses here. I initially tried using liquid co2 in the water column with little to no effect. I have since been using a small pipette to apply it underwater BUT I didn’t think to do it while the water level is low. Some areas, this won’t be possible but I could treat most of it this way. I saw a huge difference with spot treating under water, I imagine results will be very strong with the direct exposed application. I believe I have my lights and fertilizers almost dialed in as new growth has slowed or stopped all together and the tank is finally improving.  This tip should really help kill off what’s remaining 

I have had good luck getting rid of it using hydrogen peroxide, If it's on wood or rocks pull them out, spray peroxide on it, let sit and then put back in tank. I also employ a couple flying fox, AKA Siamese algae eater, and panda garra in the tank to keep it at bay. I know people have also had good luck spot treating with Flourish excel as well.

I went with the H2O2 treatment.  It is super cheap, and mostly harmless if you are careful.  Treat what you can out of the tank. You can spot treat with a syringe or spray bottle.  Spot treating submerged BBA may need to be done several times a week.   If you are using a spray bottle in the aquarium, it is best to drill a hole in the plastic nozzle and insert a piece of airline tubing.  Submerging the spray bottle under water dilutes the H2O2.  Each pump puts out about 1ml.  For better results: Turn off all pumps/filters and treat just before the lights go out.  You can startup everything in the morning.  Adding a cleanup crew and cutting back on food and fertilizer will help get the BBA under control.