Cory's new video on cleaning sponge filters

Maggie

I just watched @Cory 's video on cleaning sponge filters. One of my aquariums is 24" deep and I can barely reach the sponge with one hand while standing on a stepstool and balancing against the wall - no way can I reach down there with both. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to this process in a deep tank? Otherwise I go with the route of making a mess every time. 

Agreed with @Levi_Aquatics. There’s always a bit of challenge with mess from lifting sponge filters. Honestly, we just slowly pull up our sponges to the top of the water by the airline, then follow a cleaning plan from there. For us, we siphon out 2x 4-gallon buckets of tank water first, heavily squeeze out in first bucket, then squeeze out in 2nd bucket. Appreciate Cory’s video! Always good to see how a master does it! 

• Like 2

@Maggie you might try Dean's method. I watched a video awhile ago where he talked about using a pitcher. Dip the pitcher (or bucket or whatever) under the sponge then bring it up around it. You'll then still have to use your other hand to disconnect the tube, but maybe you can set the sponge in the pitcher (at the bottom of the tank) then lift it all up. Just a thought.

Also, how often are you cleaning the sponge? Probably doesn't need it too often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Maggie, I hear you on the deep tank part.  I usually just have to do it blind by feel, still gets a bit messy, but as stated above if you keep the air running and pull up slowly it shouldn't be too bad.

Also, not to highjack your thread but to build off of it, how long will sponges stand up to this?  Certainly @Cory course sponge filters and intake sponges are super sturdy and hold up to this very well.  However I have some aquaclear 70 sponges hotrodding my MarineLand 350 HOB that are disintegrating.  I think they are about 9 months old now, and I had to trim them some to get them to fit.  Certainly nothing lasts forever, but replacing your media in your filter is always daunting.

@SocquaI have never done it! I saw his first video showing basically the same process and wondered how anyone with a deep tank would do it. When I saw the notification for the new video, I thought maybe he'd show how its done on one. However I also have a HOB filter and a light fish load (25 small fish in a 45 gallon) and am not overly concerned about it right now, but eventually will have to deal with it. I regret this 45 gallon purchase, and wish I'd gone with a 40 breeder or a 55 gallon, as 24" is just too deep. 

I lift the airline very slowly with a steady hand. Minimal gunk gets released. For me, the zip lock bag isn't really a necessity. I prefer the bucket method.

I do have a related question though:

When should the co-op sponge filters be cleaned? I literally never notice any diminution in air flow from them. I have cleaned them, but can't really articulate if it was necessary or not.

Is there any harm in just letting them "build-up" if the flow doesn't diminish?

Ever wonder what you're cleaning out in that brown water? I stuck a pipette into my coarse sponge and took a look at a couple drops under the microscope.

I think this is poop, plant material, or a tiny churro.

20210131_181519_HDR.jpg.f651d99b2d342beefc70d5a9b16efc99.jpg

This looks like some algae.

20210131_181547_HDR.jpg.1c62b9e467055674cc9be8d2dd13fe63.jpg

A detritus worm.

20210131_181814.jpg.f68d411d4333edec7c5720ad852bade7.jpg

A stentor or rotifer.

20210131_182032_HDR.jpg.3961fc6210b05efb009f90735a757250.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, quikv6 said:

I lift the airline very slowly with a steady hand. Minimal gunk gets released. For me, the zip lock bag isn't really a necessity. I prefer the bucket method.

I do have a related question though:

When should the co-op sponge filters be cleaned? I literally never notice any diminution in air flow from them. I have cleaned them, but can't really articulate if it was necessary or not.

Is there any harm in just letting them "build-up" if the flow doesn't diminish?

I would suggest that you clean it about once every month. That is what I do and it works out fine.

Edited by Levi_Aquatics