Betsy

Hi friends!

I am suuuuper new to the hobby!  I blame my high school students for my interest...they randomly bought me a betta fish about two years ago.  Unfortunately, he became ill and died about a month ago...and I miss him and the joy he brought to the classroom.  I'm trying to start and maintain a planted tank to create a better environment for a future classroom fish...maybe I can get our next betta to live for five years instead of just two!

I planted a tank yesterday with some plants I bought at the Co-Op!  You'll have to let me know how I did...the pile of rocks is on the driftwood because I couldn't get it to sink.  I'm sure I'll be searching the forum for tips...hopefully, I can keep the plants looking this great!  Any advice is very welcomed!  I have no idea what I'm doing, and I'm fighting the urge to try too hard!

It's a 5 gallon Marina tank (one of those kit things with the Slim 10 filter), Fluval Stratum, some driftwood, quartz river rocks, and a smattering of plants (Windelov Java Fern, Golden Anubias, Nana Petite Anubias, Coffeefolia Anubias, and Red Melon Sword).  

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 7.19.45 PM.png

Edited by Betsy
  • Like 3

Sheesh... I wish my tank looked that good when I was suuuuper new to the hobby... Not sure my tanks look any better right now. Lol. Great job on it.

It looks like you picked out some very hardy and forgiving plants. I'm sure you'll do great with them.

Welcome aboard!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OceanTruth said:

Sheesh... I wish my tank looked that good when I was suuuuper new to the hobby... Not sure my tanks look any better right now. Lol. Great job on it.

It looks like you picked out some very hardy and forgiving plants. I'm sure you'll do great with them.

Welcome aboard!

I spent a loooooong time on Pinterest and YouTube, haha!   It was to the point that my husband was like, "Ugggghhh!  ANOTHER fish video??!"

We'll see how far my internet education gets me in a few months!!

Thank you for the kind words and the welcome!! 😁

Thank you all for the welcomes!!

I've been treating the tank in the morning and then testing the tank in the afternoon...and I'm noticing that my pH is 6.8 (which is identical to the pH out of the tap at school).  On a scale of 1 to 10, how crucial is it for the pH to be above 7 for the bacteria to proliferate? 

Here is my thoughts and experience as kinda a science nerd. 

In soft/acid water fish tanks, the ammonia load not to high. The nitrifying bacteria can do an adequate job even at pH below 6 more so when the tank has stayed in that range for a long time. Bacteria are adaptable and have many genetic strains. If you maintain low pH long term you will be selecting and growing a mix of strains that are adapted to the low pH.

So to answer your question I personally think on a scale 1 to 10 it is 1 not that crucial as the bacteria will adapt. 

• Thanks 1

@Garren B - I like your answer a whole lot!!  Thank you!

I'm thinking about starting one of those journal posts...the ammonia started to go down on Friday, and I'm itching to see what all the levels are like on Monday!  I can't wait to get fish in this thing - definitely at least a betta!

Thank you for your advice/help!

Welcome to the forum!  There are a few of us here from NC in the group, all over from the mountains to the piedmont to the coast.  

You should also be perfectly fine with that ph for both your bacteria in the tank and your betta 🙂

• Like 1

@Ben_RF - Thank you!!!

NC is the place to be! 😜

And, thank you for the help with the pH - it keeps trying to creep down to around 6.4...I think it's the driftwood?  Maybe?  I'm not sure...but a water change always helps raise the pH, so I'm happy to keep doing those regularly!

• Like 1

Lucky Students! Way to enhance this season for learning. Good luck on your tank. It looks great. Do you teach science by any chance? I see the periodic table in the background. I hope you keep us posted on any sciency type of things you do. Thank you for serving children and getting their minds to embrace being ethical with our water habitats. 

• Like 1