Super glue on Rhizome or not?

Cocugreek5

So I’ve seen you should try to glue the rhizome from a plant onto hardscape and I’ve seen the opposite. Plants are finally coming in and I plan on attaching them to driftwood and rock. Plants are various anubias and Java ferns. Please help with my confusion!

Thanks all!

• Like 1

I take a little piece of paper towel or one of the pads that comes with the Ziss Never Clog Airstone.  I put the Anubias or Java Fern on a small rock.  Wrap with cotton thread around and around the rock. I let the roots hang out to the sides, I don't wrap them under the rock.  Then I take the little wad of paper towel or pad and glue THAT onto the bottom of the rock over the threads, to glue the threads to the bottom of the rock.  Let it dry and put it in the tank.  That way I'm not gluing the plant itself.  Don't know if it makes a difference, but it seems to hold well.  And If I change my mind for the first week or so, I can just snip the threads and put the plant on something else before it grabs onto the rock by itself.

• Like 3

im in the glue the roots camp, not the rhizome. on the other hand, it only takes a couple very tiny drops of glue to secure the plant to rock or wood, and those tiny drops shouldnt constitute a problem should it get on the rhizome. a couple drops, press the plant onto the glue, and done. no need to run a giant bead like caulking the bathtub

• Like 2

I've always glued the roots and the bottom of the rhizome for Anubias. Try not to seal the rhizome in super glue, you don't need that much. But every Anubias in my aquariums have been glued this way and none have ever had issues. 

The ferns I don't use glue, they're pretty easy to wedge in hardscape or tie with green thread. But I've seen them glued similarly and no problems there either. 

I think the key is to never completely cover the rhizome to avoid it rotting. But don't sweat getting some glue on the rhizome. If you only use roots, they're pretty floppy and the flow in the tank could cause damage to the plant.

• Like 3

Thank you for all the responses! I guess it’s not an issue as long as I don’t cover the rhizome. I may try to avoid it all together and use little glue. I saw the video where Cory does it and it seems I should try to get as much root as possible and if some gets on the rhizome I should be ok. 

9 hours ago, Colu said:

I read that the glue can damage the rhizome only glue the roots

I recommend sticking with first hand experiences; I agree that it seems like it would hurt the plant, but I have glued the rhizome without issues on multiple plants (anubias and Java fern.) I mean, you wouldn't want to slather the entire rhizome with glue or go crazy, but just a dab works fine.

• Like 3