Where to get bags/is there any real difference between brands?

ChefConfit

Not sure where those bags come from, but they're not too cheap. Breather bags can be hard to come by. They're only needed if you're shipping. Are you just selling locally? If you're selling to your LFS or to local buyers, you can probably just use fish bags that your LFS uses. That's what we do. Here are some steps we do for selling locally (NOT shipping):

(1) Do a decent water change a day or two before selling so that your nitrates are not too high in your bags

(2) Do not feed your fish for a day or so before bagging up for sale to reduce waste (limiting ammonia buildup)

(3) We buy fish bags from our LFS - and we always double-bag our fish for sale, separating males form females if possible

(4) For local sales, oxygen is not needed - but be sure that you leave about 50% of the bag AIR

(5) We add just a few drops of Kordon AmQuel in each bag along with tank water to curb any ammonia spike

(6) Try using something like a lasagna warmer bag with a handle (WalMart) to insulate bags and keep fish temperature stable

(7) For most fish, lay bag sideways rather than upright - this reduces risk of getting caught in corners

• Like 1

I buy fish bags off ebay, you can usually get anywhere from 10-1000 bags. I would only worry about using o2 if you are shipping the fish. If you're just taking them to a LFS or selling to local hobbyists, just fill the bags about 1/3 water and 2/3 with air, and close the bag. I would also only use breather bags for shipping as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've seen them on amazon, but I went looking for the square bottom bags and found some here.

Dean also had a simple way of making the bags square with packing tape--just taping the "ears" down. It is at about 11:45 on this video. You likely saw that already, since you are asking about the square bags though. 🙂

• Like 4

No, if your just giving them to your local fish store, you don't need to add co2. Just simply use the "traping the air in the bag method" no you don't need breather bags either. As far as where to get them, you can ask your LFS for some (obviously need to pay for them) or get them off amazon.

I shipped a pearl gourami a couple months ago that was about 3" long.  I ordered my bags from Amazon, and they aren't the breather bags.  At the time I could only find one source for those, and there was a long wait time.  I didn't use oxygen, I mailed the package on Tuesday, and it got hung up somehow and didn't arrive until the following Monday, and the fish was fine.

I also double-bagged it, but when I ship fish or shrimp I invert the first bag in the second one, which rounds off the corners similar to the method on the video using tape.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

I shipped a pearl gourami a couple months ago that was about 3" long.  I ordered my bags from Amazon, and they aren't the breather bags.  At the time I could only find one source for those, and there was a long wait time.  I didn't use oxygen, I mailed the package on Tuesday, and it got hung up somehow and didn't arrive until the following Monday, and the fish was fine.

I also double-bagged it, but when I ship fish or shrimp I invert the first bag in the second one, which rounds off the corners similar to the method on the video using tape.

When I have received dead or dying fish, the vast majority of the time it was caused by a leak which left the fish with little on no water. I am a big fan of double bagging!

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

When I have received dead or dying fish, the vast majority of the time it was caused by a leak which left the fish with little on no water. I am a big fan of double bagging!

My LFS also double-bags, and they only do walk-in sales. I was very happy to see that!

The square bottomed bags look great! For what it’s worth, we get large bags from our LFS. Because we have a good relationship with them, they give us bags (even though we always offer to buy). Then, when we bag up fish, we double-bag, inverting the inside bag making the entire bag free from tight corners. There are little creases that may be exactly what you’re hoping to avoid, but this way certainly can work. Hopefully the attached photo will display properly here. Just bagged up a pair of angels for delivery to our LFS. 

BF16B427-B570-464B-B7A6-58624DFA4740.jpeg

• Like 1