My air pump broke (hooray) and I am currently running my sponge filter on my old air pump that is really only for 5 - 10 gallons. My tank is 30 gallons. Even if my air pump was still going I would like to have more filtration capacity. So I've been looking at new filters. I saved up 75 dollars for plants but I think instead I'll use it for a nice new filter. 

With that...

• I do not care about noise. As long as it's not like a firework show we are all good
  • at least 40 gallon filtration capacity, as I want to have more than enough
  • External or internal. I don't care
  • primarily hoping for biological filtration and mechanical filtration
  • prefer slow to medium flow, minimal as possible since I will still be running air stones and don't want too much movement 

Here are the filters I am considering. If you have input on these or perhaps a different filter altogether, I would appreciate it! 

• Marineland Penguin PRO 275
  • Marineland Magnum 200 Internal Canister 
  • Fluval AquaClear 50
  • Sicce Shark ADV 600 Internal
  • Aqueon QuietFlow LED PRO 50

Also perhaps considering Zoo Med Turtle Clean 40, since I see no reason it couldn't be used for fish aquariums? 

Any recommendations, advice, or insight appreciated!

• Like 1

My opinion would be to stick with sponge filters and get yourself a small filter for mechanical filtration if you feel it's necessary. Petsmart sells small internal filters for cheap that I've used as very effective water polishers - just pull the included filter media out of the cartridge and replace with filter floss. Combine that with a sponge filter for bio filtration.

If you're set on one of the filters you listed, the Aquaclear is where it's at. I've not used the new design, but the old ones are fantastic and the new ones have been praised decently well.

The Turtle Clean filter would work, but really isn't advisable IMO. There are better filters out there for the money (even if this was a turtle tank).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2024 at 7:17 PM, clownbaby said:

primarily hoping for biological filtration and mechanical filtration

Your sponge, gravel, plants, and hardscape should provide adequate biological filtration. With that being said, I would focus on water polishing, or mechanical filtration.

I really like internal filters for doing this. I have internal filters in a lot of my tanks, in addition to the sponge with easy flow kit. I like that I can stuff them with Poly Fil or fine filter pad and really get some water polishing going on. In addition, I like that most of them also have a sponge filter in them. It’s just additional biological filtration, and it helps catch the larger particles before it hits the polishing pad or poly fil. 

Personally, I really like the Nicrew line of internal filters. I take out the carbon and replace it with poly fil or multiple layers stacked of fine filter pad. And then I use the spraybar. The nice thing about the spraybar is you can point it up or down or adjust the angle of the spraybar and get the flow in any direction you want. If you ever upgrade to co2, you then have the opportunity to use the filter and spraybar to keep your co2 bubbles suspended longer so the co2 can dissolve into the water more efficiently.

Here’s some pics, as I have a couple of them and in a couple different sizes:

IMG_8221.jpeg.386b8190cb15c3f2798916364b9e2787.jpeg
Here’s the smallest version 

IMG_8218.jpeg.a33669c6597589300459fecf51cebdb4.jpeg

Smallest version inside a tank. Spraybar is pointed up for additional surface agitation and so I’m not just blowing my plants around. 
IMG_8222.jpeg.462267f931df3bc833a9983e3b1dd4f6.jpeg

Bigger size up in a 20 gallon long. Spraybar is pointed down so the co2 rises from the diffuser, and then gets pushed back down and across the tank for even distribution. 
IMG_8220.jpeg.7b847b9ee85385097c029a95be8c1733.jpeg

This is a different brand, but same thought. In a 29 gallon tank. Co2 rises, and then gets pushed down and across the tank. 

Personally, I think these internal filters are better at mechanical filtration than my HOB’s. I also like that I can polish water, get more flow, and point that flow wherever I want it. 

If I had to choose one of the filters you suggested, it would definitely be one of the internals. However, I will always want a spraybar, and I think you can save some of that money you saved up for the filter and still get some plants!

I have sponge filters, sponge filters with easy flow kits, HOB’s, internal filters, canister filters, and even tanks with no filters, and I really like these internal filters. Specifically the Nicrew brand has been good to me. Just my $0.02, if it’s even worth that much, lol. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 3

On tanks that size I like the sponge/HOB option - I'm an AquaClear guy, so that's what I've used. In the HOB I would use the sponge and biomedia that comes with it,  then filter floss and a bag or purigen for water polishing. From bottom to top: sponge, floss/polishing pad, biomedia, purigen.

• Like 2

For me, choice of a second/secondary filter is all about user convenience. You want mechanical filtration? How easy/fast is it to clean out the filter, when it gets clogged (assuming it does its job 🙂)? Or will it run for a long time between cleanings (can you say canister)? Doesn't matter how good it is at filtration, if cleaning is such a chore that you don't do it (or don't do it often enough), you're not getting the benefit you wanted. 

For that ease of use, you want a HOB not internal. 

Here's my curveball... Low flow and good mechanical filtration are sort of opposite ends of the filtration spectrum. If you want good mechanical filtration, you want enough water movement to continually resuspend physical particles, so they eventually get picked up by the filter. If you don't have enough movement of water, then no matter how efficient your HOB is, the debris won't go into it. 

As always I have to caveat my cranky old man writing style to say I'm not trying to rain on your plans, I'm making sure you know the down-sides before you jump in. 🙂 (smiley face means I'm nice and it fixes everything. always. don't argue)

Edited by TOtrees
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2024 at 8:09 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Your sponge, gravel, plants, and hardscape should provide adequate biological filtration. With that being said, I would focus on water polishing, or mechanical filtration.

I really like internal filters for doing this. I have internal filters in a lot of my tanks, in addition to the sponge with easy flow kit. I like that I can stuff them with Poly Fil or fine filter pad and really get some water polishing going on. In addition, I like that most of them also have a sponge filter in them. It’s just additional biological filtration, and it helps catch the larger particles before it hits the polishing pad or poly fil. 

Personally, I really like the Nicrew line of internal filters. I take out the carbon and replace it with poly fil or multiple layers stacked of fine filter pad. And then I use the spraybar. The nice thing about the spraybar is you can point it up or down or adjust the angle of the spraybar and get the flow in any direction you want. If you ever upgrade to co2, you then have the opportunity to use the filter and spraybar to keep your co2 bubbles suspended longer so the co2 can dissolve into the water more efficiently.

Here’s some pics, as I have a couple of them and in a couple different sizes:

IMG_8221.jpeg.386b8190cb15c3f2798916364b9e2787.jpeg
Here’s the smallest version 

IMG_8218.jpeg.a33669c6597589300459fecf51cebdb4.jpeg

Smallest version inside a tank. Spraybar is pointed up for additional surface agitation and so I’m not just blowing my plants around. 
IMG_8222.jpeg.462267f931df3bc833a9983e3b1dd4f6.jpeg

Bigger size up in a 20 gallon long. Spraybar is pointed down so the co2 rises from the diffuser, and then gets pushed back down and across the tank for even distribution. 
IMG_8220.jpeg.7b847b9ee85385097c029a95be8c1733.jpeg

This is a different brand, but same thought. In a 29 gallon tank. Co2 rises, and then gets pushed down and across the tank. 

Personally, I think these internal filters are better at mechanical filtration than my HOB’s. I also like that I can polish water, get more flow, and point that flow wherever I want it. 

If I had to choose one of the filters you suggested, it would definitely be one of the internals. However, I will always want a spraybar, and I think you can save some of that money you saved up for the filter and still get some plants!

I have sponge filters, sponge filters with easy flow kits, HOB’s, internal filters, canister filters, and even tanks with no filters, and I really like these internal filters. Specifically the Nicrew brand has been good to me. Just my $0.02, if it’s even worth that much, lol. 

I really appreciate all this information!!! I will do some more research some more, thank you so much!!!! 

• Like 1

I use whatever came packaged with the used tank I purchased. I recently got 2 large topfin hob filters, decorations, gravel with a 20 gallon tank for $5!

I do like the internal pump filters like @AllFishNoBrakes because you know,  no leaks, but these tend to buzz (after a while the sound is lesser, but it is still noticeable to me). Though you don't mind noise, thought it might still help to know. I like a water pump-driven sponge filter for the same no leaks reason, and I use a really small silent pump, so the sound is better. Water pump driven ugf are also my next preferred. I tend to use ugf for taller tanks and for fish bowls (already have 2 setup!).

Air driven sponges (and air driven ugf), I use here and there mixed with other filter types, to ensure some type of redundancy. So, I like your idea of getting a second filter.

The hobs, I use in qt mostly. These are small tanks, so I worry less about leaks on those. I agree the hobs do an excellent, reliable job of polishing!

I have a used canister filter but only use it outside, in the screened porch. Too loud for me and if it overflows the bin ut is placed in, I wouldn't mind. I agree with the Cory's video that the easiest to maintain filtration for you is probably the best kind. I found with my disabled condition,  canister maintenance requires the most effort and energy (which is why only my husband does it) but doesn't need servicing as often.

With each filter type there are plenty of tips and tricks. So, most shortcomings can be overcome or mitigated. I learned so much from scouring this forum and asking questions. Example, water movement from hob outflow can be reduced by rigging a dish or a sponge/foam under the waterfall.

Hope this helps.

Edited by HelplessNewbie

Hello!

I see the Sicce Shark ADV on your list, so thought I’d share my experiences.

I am happy with sponge filters, but unlike you, I can’t stand mechanical noises, which turned me off on sponge filters because of how loud air pumps are (yes, even the wee USB ones.) 

I found the Sicce Shark ADV’s to be a perfectly quiet replacement for sponge filters, which two drawbacks. First, (and this is true of all internal filters) they require cleaning more often than regular sponge filters (because they move much more water, so they clog up easier.) you have to perfect your approach to not make a mess when you pull the dirty filter out. Second, achieving the level of surface agitation I wanted without blasting all my fish and plants around the tank was kind of impossible. The ADV’s so have a Venturi system, but it is quite loud. I moved the the Sicce Shark Pro line, and it’s Venturi system works much better and quieter. I put a pre-filter sponge over the outflow (held on with a couple cut off zip ties on the outflow) to diffuse the flow and still have the bubbles. Moves a lot of water to have a gentle flow throughout the tank, provides bubbles for surface agitation, and the Sharks are run virtually silently (minus the bubble noise when the Venturi system is on.)

I love these Shark Pro’s for my use cases and given how much I value silence, but for your case, I’m not sure if they provide much better setup than a standard HOB will.