HELP! HELP!

fishdogs

My fish is missing most of its skin! This fish was stuck in an aquarium decoration ALL DAY! 

I double dosed my tank with my stress/coat stuff but the fish isn’t swimming well..

I don’t want it to die as it is my favorite fish! Is there anything else I can do? The gouges look deep and painful!IMG_0987.jpg.74c6e4471b7ff7d9dd2b5719406b7be6.jpgIMG_0997.jpg.406538865a4df70d3036838998c25f30.jpgIMG_0995.jpg.9826e1855c3ec8e4f205d9a9ee2874f2.jpg

Edited by fishdogs
  • Sad 2

On 10/7/2024 at 6:11 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I am so sorry but I do not see the pic. It is all black for me...

Sorry that this happened!

I am uncertain of how to treat this. @Colu any ideas?

The pictures should be visible now

• Like 1

On 10/7/2024 at 7:05 PM, fishdogs said:

My fish is missing most of its skin! This fish was stuck in an aquarium decoration ALL DAY! 

I double dosed my tank with my stress/coat stuff but the fish isn’t swimming well..

I don’t want it to die as it is my favorite fish! Is there anything else I can do? The gouges look deep and painful!IMG_0987.jpg.74c6e4471b7ff7d9dd2b5719406b7be6.jpgIMG_0997.jpg.406538865a4df70d3036838998c25f30.jpgIMG_0995.jpg.9826e1855c3ec8e4f205d9a9ee2874f2.jpg

I suggest keep the water in pristine condition that will help the black molly heal.

• Like 3

IF you can get hold of some catapa leaves. you might add 1 leaf per gallon. They have a surprising amount of anti-bacterial and antifungal properties. Othe than that, poor fish is going to have to heal a lot on its own. maybe some suggestion from @Colu for stronger stuff. 

I've had this happen before with a betta. They get curious about their environment. Some of the decorations have small openings in the center to let air bubbles out. I always inspect for those round openings and never buy anything that a fish might swim into. But if you've never seen something do that before, how would you know?

• Like 2

On 10/7/2024 at 7:08 PM, JE47 said:

@fishdogs Could just be me reading the photos wrong but does the cut penetrate the bones of the fish?

I don’t think it is to the bones….it looks like a white layer of tissue yet in person. The white layer doesn’t look very thick granted that could be because the gouge is so deep….?

This is my most photogenic fish yet the photos are not great… 🙂

• Like 4

@fishdogs It doesn't look promising, But I've seen them recover from this kind of thing before. There was a betta from a couple of months ago that was very chewed up. I believe it made a full recovery. Just cross your fingers. If you can find some of the antibacterial stuff, salt and catapa leaves it should help tremendously. Mollies do well with salt, I'd probably start her on 1 tablespoon per every three gallons of the aquarium. Depending on who else is in the tank. If you have corys, i'd use 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 10/7/2024 at 7:40 PM, Tony s said:

Depending on who else is in the tank. If you have corys, i'd use 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons

I have an Anubias plant, some floating plants, and Pygmy cories….. Is the salt still okay to use at the 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons?

I do NOT have a quarantine tank otherwise I would do that.

My 20 gallon then needs 4 tablespoons?

Does epsom salt work or does it have to be aquarium salt….i have heard both but I really don’t want to kill anything in my tank

Edited by fishdogs
  • Like 2

On 10/7/2024 at 8:51 PM, fishdogs said:

Pygmy cories….. Is the salt still okay to use at the 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons

I haven't raised pygmies before, but they should be fine. It does have to be aquarium salt. You can do epsom salt in tanks, but they act like a laxative and muscle relaxer. Not something that would be helpful here. You could also do marine salt, not sure if that changes the dosage. I don't believe so. 

On 10/7/2024 at 5:51 PM, fishdogs said:

I have an Anubias plant, some floating plants, and Pygmy cories….. Is the salt still okay to use at the 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons?

If it helps, I've done 1tbsp per 5 gallons on my 40 gallon before and I had pygmy cories, kuhli loach, a bunch of anubias and other plants. They weren't affected by the salt but I did notice some plants kinda slowed down or completely stopped growth when there was salt in the tank. They went back to normal after I took most of the salt out.

• Like 1

I keep a 5 gallon tank  on hand to use as a hospital tank just for something like this. It is setup with no gravel or plants just a sponge filter.  I would have him separated out and put into quarantine with meds.  Using a 5 gallon cuts down on the amount of meds needed and you dont stress out the rest of the main tank. This way you can customize the treatment to the ailment. Just a thought.

• Like 2

Salt, catapa leaves are great ideas. It is all worth a shot. Keep excellent water quality and hope for the best. Maybe get a QT tank like @ARMYVET has said, if you do not want to dose main tank with salt. I am sorry this has happened. Hope your little guy makes a full recovery!

• Like 3

A lot of useful advice I wouldn't go above 1 table spoon for 5 gallons of aquarium salt with pygmy Cory's Indian almond leaves will help prevent secondary bacterial and fungal infections looking at the severity of the injury to the back i would also do a course of maracyn2 in food  active ingredient minocycline also has anti-inflammatory properties feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days @fishdogs

1000000026.png

• Like 4

You can pull the plants (at least the floaters) and put them in a bucket while treating the tank.  The salt might slow down the Anubias but might kill floaters depending on what kind they are.  Agree with everything @Colu has recommended.  Don’t forget to add more aeration for any sick fish.

• Like 3

On 10/8/2024 at 11:12 AM, Tony s said:

How is she doing this morning?

She was doing okay this morning, had quite a bit of skin and stuff hanging off but to be expected. I am buying aquarium salt later today and will dose the tank. Will check up on her when I get home later

• Like 3

On 10/9/2024 at 12:36 PM, Tony s said:

Any progress? 

Somewhat. I added the salt about 24 hours ago and she is more active today. 
looks like the loose stuff is falling off and a bit of slimy stuff.