Calling all Photographers! Guppy photoshoot advice needed.

Brandy

So I have a cell phone (pixel3A), and that is all. I am not a photographer. I need to get some closeups of my guppies, but they MOVE SO FAST! My phone can take nice shots of my shrimp, so I know it is possible. How do you get awesome closeups of fast moving fish? Especially with that nice black background that professional shots always seem to have? Is this lighting, equipment, post processing? I think I need a small container set up as a guppy photo studio with optimal lighting and a black background--like a light box almost. Advice greatly appreciated!!

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 1

Ok, taking the photo according to the best practices from the other thread yielded an improvement. I would not have thought to use the flash for fear of reflections. I also like the tip from @JimmyGimbal to steal lights from other tanks-- That is so simple I feel dumb for not thinking of it!

using my phone's fast action setting, with tracking focus, and WITH FLASH, I got this:

original_7e9fa94b-8595-4abb-8c57-fbecda172615_PXL_20201120_173948081.jpg.e4cf8ea7f1dd1857f474bba5e336f7b8.jpg

a marked improvement from previous efforts, no flash:PXL_20201120_172451928.MP_3.jpg.e67c76367e6a5119af4713aa67cc45c0.jpg

PXL_20201120_172451928.MP_2.jpg.02cb13afbc28ef37bdcb9882d8686294.jpg

Now to CLEAN THE GLASS, and add a background to the tank...I still think the flash one is a little fuzzy, but that may just take more timing.

• Like 5

I find guppies hard to photograph because of the way their bodies sway left and right, especially the head movement makes it difficult to catch their eyes in focus.  I usually wait for the sun to hit the tank and then I tire the fish down by taking pictures for as long as I can. After a while the fishes adapt to me and the camera/phone being close to the tank, stop wiggling like crazy and sometimes they would stay still and stare at me for a split second. That second is the golden chance to get a decent fish photo in the tank. 

The guppy photo studio approach works too and it's much easier if you want a pure black background.

• Like 1