Beginner Fish Keeper Here

gmm

Hey! I'd like to adopt a fish soon, and I've been researching how to take care of Bettas. Any good resources/fish to start out with?

I'm in highschool on a limited budget; but I don't want to degrade their quality of life. I am happy to work up to a good amount of money to adopt and furnish a tank. Is there any good filters, heaters, etc that won't endanger the fish as well nutritious foods?

I've read about bloodworms and brine shrimp and stuff but I was mainly wondering what an affordable beginner species would be? (Including cost of properly taking care of them and stuff.)

Also any good resources on how to cycle a tank? And what exactly cycling is (like you're explaining to a five year old.)

I've done an hour's worth of research so far, is there anything else I can do?

Let me know if I put this in the wrong tag or if anything I've said is careless or not considerate for the life of the fish. I am a vegetarian and I love animals and I want to make sure my baby is well taken care of.

ALSO:

In my science class, they have a fish tank (maybe 10ish gallons?) with a larger goldfish(I think) and common black molly. The molly has an intestinal infection (I believe) and has a yellowish string hanging off of him? I let him know about it, after observing them after a feeding, and put in some API Stress Coat; which is supposed to help. Should I put in some API aquatic salt as well? I don't know much and I just want to help the little guy. 

Please be patient with me I am doing my best and I will do my very best to help. <3

• Like 2

Hi! Welcome to the forum. You can be a fish keeper on a budget and keep your fish happy don't worry there! People are always willing to trade and give away fish items. When you let them know you're in highschool they are often willing to help. Look for your local aquarium club and go to a meeting! Or join their social media! 

@Colu might be able to help with the medication/sick fish in the class, I tagged so they can see and maybe has a suggestion!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 8:03 PM, gmm said:

Hey! I'd like to adopt a fish soon, and I've been researching how to take care of Bettas. Any good resources/fish to start out with?

I'm in highschool on a limited budget; but I don't want to degrade their quality of life. I am happy to work up to a good amount of money to adopt and furnish a tank. Is there any good filters, heaters, etc that won't endanger the fish as well nutritious foods?

I've read about bloodworms and brine shrimp and stuff but I was mainly wondering what an affordable beginner species would be? (Including cost of properly taking care of them and stuff.)

Also any good resources on how to cycle a tank? And what exactly cycling is (like you're explaining to a five year old.)

I've done an hour's worth of research so far, is there anything else I can do?

Let me know if I put this in the wrong tag or if anything I've said is careless or not considerate for the life of the fish. I am a vegetarian and I love animals and I want to make sure my baby is well taken care of.

ALSO:

In my science class, they have a fish tank (maybe 10ish gallons?) with a larger goldfish(I think) and common black molly. The molly has an intestinal infection (I believe) and has a yellowish string hanging off of him? I let him know about it, after observing them after a feeding, and put in some API Stress Coat; which is supposed to help. Should I put in some API aquatic salt as well? I don't know much and I just want to help the little guy. 

Please be patient with me I am doing my best and I will do my very best to help. ❤️

Could be a parasitic infections or constipation what you can do is Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days if you can't do Epsom salt baths what  I would do is add a small amount of plain epsom the tank one table spoon for 5 gallons for a week as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help relieve constipation if your still seeing issues then I would follow up with a course of paracleanse once every two weeks for 6 weeks 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @xXInkedPhoenixX - the nitrogen cycle is the best place to start.  Pet stores (especially chain stores) will not stop you from buying a tank and fish all in the same visit.  You will have more success if you cycle the tank before introducing fish.  You'll want the API master test kit or multi-test strips, plus ammonia test strips (the multi-test strips do not read ammonia).  As well as a dechlorinator that detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and heavy metals.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

You can absolutely do a tank on a budget. When I restarted my hobby a few years ago, I did it with a 5.5g Aquarium kit that came with lid, light, filter, net and thermometer. I purchased a heater ($9 then, about $15 now) and a Tetra whisper air pump (about $12 now), a bag of gravel and some silk plants. Total then was around $65-$70. Now it’s probably $80-$90 for the same set up. That tank is still running and houses my Betta, Taz.

Petco will have 50% off sales on their tanks several times a year and it’s a good place to pick up your tank. Keeping your budget in mind, get the biggest you can afford. A 10g or 20g will allow you to house a few fish (5g you’ll only be able to keep 1, maybe 2). Sponge filters are the most economical and least laborious, ACO Sponge filters are awesome ($7-$9) as well as ACO heaters($26). A tetra whisper air pump are inexpensive and work great and I found mine for around $15.  Substrate and decor depends on taste and budget, but there are deals in those as well. 

you can also check FaceBook Marketplace in your area for aquarium supplies. I bought three 10g for $5 each last year 

On 10/4/2023 at 6:36 PM, Colu said:

Could be a parasitic infections or constipation what you can do is Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days if you can't do Epsom salt baths what  I would do is add a small amount of plain epsom the tank one table spoon for 5 gallons for a week as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help relieve constipation if your still seeing issues then I would follow up with a course of paracleanse once every two weeks for 6 weeks 

Thank you so much! I have the class tomorrow so I'll discuss with the teacher about this. 🙂 How dangerous is a parasitic infection to the fish? (Like, do I have limited time or anything?)

On 10/5/2023 at 1:39 AM, gmm said:

Thank you so much! I have the class tomorrow so I'll discuss with the teacher about this. 🙂 How dangerous is a parasitic infection to the fish? (Like, do I have limited time or anything?)

It depends on what type of parasite's your dealing how quickly it kills 

On 10/4/2023 at 8:07 PM, FLFishChik said:

You can absolutely do a tank on a budget. When I restarted my hobby a few years ago, I did it with a 5.5g Aquarium kit that came with lid, light, filter, net and thermometer. I purchased a heater ($9 then, about $15 now) and a Tetra whisper air pump (about $12 now), a bag of gravel and some silk plants. Total then was around $65-$70. Now it’s probably $80-$90 for the same set up. That tank is still running and houses my Betta, Taz.

Petco will have 50% off sales on their tanks several times a year and it’s a good place to pick up your tank. Keeping your budget in mind, get the biggest you can afford. A 10g or 20g will allow you to house a few fish (5g you’ll only be able to keep 1, maybe 2). Sponge filters are the most economical and least laborious, ACO Sponge filters are awesome ($7-$9) as well as ACO heaters($26). A tetra whisper air pump are inexpensive and work great and I found mine for around $15.  Substrate and decor depends on taste and budget, but there are deals in those as well. 

you can also check FaceBook Marketplace in your area for aquarium supplies. I bought three 10g for $5 each last year 

Thank you for the specified products!! Are there any significant differences in female vs male betas (other than temperament and appearance obviously)? Taz sounds like an adorable name by the way. 😄 

You guys are all so helpful! I'll be sure to read up on everything tomorrow (I'm about to head to bed haha). This was an amazing welcome to the forum/community. ❤️ 

On 10/4/2023 at 8:42 PM, Colu said:

It depends on what type of parasite's your dealing how quickly it kills 

From what I've researched/seen they seem to be intestinal worms. Could be constipation (I don't know much on fish feces) as well.

• Love 1

On 10/5/2023 at 1:43 AM, gmm said:

Thank you for the specified products!! Are there any significant differences in female vs male betas (other than temperament and appearance obviously)? Taz sounds like an adorable name by the way. 😄 

You guys are all so helpful! I'll be sure to read up on everything tomorrow (I'm about to head to bed haha). This was an amazing welcome to the forum/community. ❤️ 

From what I've researched/seen they seem to be intestinal worms. Could be constipation (I don't know much on fish feces) as well.

You can get stingy feces with a parasitic infections you can also get stingy feces  that will hang from the fish for a long period of time when your fish is constipated 

Edited by Colu

Hi @gmm, welcome to the forum and to fishkeeping. For your future betta, be prepared for common health issues like fin rot, constipation, infections causing dropsy, pop eye, etc. Keeping pristine water conditions are a must. I’d go with a short finned plakat betta or a female. The long finned splendens variety can run the risk of fin issues (fin rot, fin nipping, breakage, tears on sharp decorations). 

I fell in love head over heels with bettas during the pandemic (still love them and have several) but learned real fast the heartbreak that comes with them. Don’t get me wrong, they’re wonderful pets, super cute, smart, water puppies. 

This forum community is exceptional. 

On 10/5/2023 at 7:56 AM, Stef said:

I’d go with a short finned plakat betta or a female. The long finned splendens variety can run the risk of fin issues (fin rot, fin nipping, breakage, tears on sharp decorations). 

I completely agree with this. My long finned boy was the most difficult. My short finned female I had, and now my short finned boy have so much less issues and are much more enjoyable because of that, in my option IMG_4655.jpeg.0d7b1c85dd4628465c3188a1b78850a5.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Late response - But thank you for all the advice. I was considering a sponge filter and have now moved my focus to plakat bettas like you all recommended. I should definitely start off with an easier betta before looking at the halfmoons I wanted. Do you think a sponge filter would work?

^I also may look at having a female koi plakat? Do females do well alone? I'm definitely not experienced enough for a harem or sorority.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:49 AM, gmm said:

Also looked at some oranda goldfish, but am worried about sporadic growth that I've heard can happen in goldfish? What tank size would be best for these?

If going the goldfish route be prepared for lots of poop and heavy bio load which translates to requiring a larger water volume/tank size and frequent and regular water changes. Orandas or any fancy goldfish can have their own set of health issues with their short/compact bodies and poor digestive systems, flowy fins and wens. “sporadic growth” is the least of your concerns. I have 2 Ranchus and a black moor in a 20 gallon long and I’m doing 50% water changes every 3-4 days to keep nitrates down. These 3 fish really need a 50 gallon.  

For a beginner, I’d probably stick to a plakat betta in a 5 gallon with a sponge filter and a heater and lid. Bettas like it warm (78F -80F). Add a few anubias plants (avoid any decorations with sharp edges/points). Get some water test strips too. Keep your water clean. This goes for any type of fish. 

For betta video basics, I like Irene from the Co-op and Sheila from Life with Pets. 

For goldfish, Jenny from Solid Gold Aquatics and Luke’s Goldies. 

And the Aquarium Co-op care guides and YT channel and other resources are top notch. 

Honey gourami are great beginner fish. Low bioload, only need a sponge filter. Undemanding and are extremely adaptable to almost any water parameters and a wide temperature range. 
Have all the interactive pet personalities of a betta but are MUCH hardier. 
For beginners and even experienced aquarists betta have been so extremely overbred they have an extreme high rate of health problems. 
Honey gourami live longer and can have a wider variety of tank mates should you choose in the future. 
Honey gourami can also have more than 1 in a tank without fighting. Their bickering is actually silly. They line up beside one another nose to tail and wiggle real fast. That is the extent of the squabble. 

On 11/10/2023 at 6:37 AM, gmm said:

I also may look at having a female koi plakat? Do females do well alone? I'm definitely not experienced enough for a harem or sorority.

Don't even consider a Betta sorority.  I tried and the females almost killed each other.  I re-homed all but one.  Keep one Betta (male or female) with compatible community fish.  How many fish depends on the size of your tank.  Bettas need nice clean water to be healthy.  Nipped fins are bad news for Bettas.  They are so personable and fun. I just love my girl, Blue.

Yeah sorry to clarify I'm not looking at a sorority or a harem don't worry LOL. And @GuppysnailI was actually looking at some gourami (the opaline ones) and they seem awesome. Thanks for the insight on the betta health issues, too. Would Gourami have the same(ish) tank set up as a betta?

• Like 1