How much of a nerm are you? Take this test to find out...

memorywrangler

4tanks running right now:4

3prepared foods (i need to get more for better variety):3

I feed bbs when i remember: 3

Albino Cories and platies grown out to maturity: 2

2grow out tanks: 2

1 cycled sponge filter +cycled bio rings: 2

I have dragged family along on a vacation to a fish store: 1

Not collecting in the wild we get our fish, but local streams: so 10?

Took this quiz: 1

so total is: 28 or 18.

• Like 1

1 point for each aquarium you currently have running.14
1/2 point for each aquarium that you have empty "just in case". 2
1 point for every 40 gallons of water currently in your tanks. 20
1 point for each variety of prepared food you regularly feed. 5
2 points for each variety of frozen food your regularly feed. 10
3 points for each variety of live food you regularly feed. 15
2 points for each variety of water you regularly use in your aquariums/fish room that require some kind of preparation other than dechlorination (e.g., RODI, brackish, salt, hard water for African cichlids)
1 point for each tank with CO2
1 additional point for each tank where  CO2 is regulated (i.e., not yeast-based or chemical generator)
1 point for each species of fish you have raised to maturity.8
1 point for each "grow out tank" you keep 7
1 point for each species-only tank you keep.6
1 point for each 100 comments posted on this Aquarium Coop Forum. 
1 point for each cycled filter you have on hand, just in case. 6
1 point for each aquarium you have built yourself. 12(repurposed drilled and did bulkheads)
1 point for each aquarium stand you have built.12
5 points if you have a multi-tank auto-water change system.
5 points if you have a air supply "loop" for many tanks.
10 points if you have structurally modified your home to accommodate your fish tanks.
10 points if you been collecting in the wild.
1 point for each city you've been to and visited the LFS as a tourist activity.10
1 point for each $100 you've sold of fish in the last year. 2
2 points if you regularly attend a fish club auction.
Award yourself one point for taking this quiz. 1

130 ish without the comments points. Nermish i suppose lol

Unless i missed it Id say an add could be 

1 point per live plant

10 points if you have made on coop order 

15 if you subscribe to the youtube channel

On 9/25/2023 at 12:15 AM, Surreal said:

I made this into a little website for people! https://nermquiz.netlify.app/

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or anything

Also, my score was only 37.5😭

Thank you so much for the automated quiz - I didn't think I was that much of a Nerm, but my score is 92! I actually had to call in engineers to modify my house because my 75 gallon aquarium revealed a fault. When the house was built, the plumber cut the main beam instead of putting in elbows. Here I come 20+ years later and the weight of my 75 gallon caused huge cracks to form around the door frames and such. Yeah, so that had to be fixed - at least it gave me 10 points!

• Haha 1

236 but that’s including all the gallonage of my ponds, minus that would be 224. 

With my fishroom in Oregon probably would have been over 250 I imagine. 

I think that you’re a NERM if you know what NERM means. It’s more a state of mind then it is how many tanks or fish or setups or equipment you have. 

For me it’s going to a shop, a convention, a club meeting and absorbing information and good vibes of fish keepers who aren’t judging you and are accepting you for your fish crazed self. 

• Love 1

On 9/26/2023 at 7:44 PM, Ken Burke said:

Playing on @TheSwissAquarist idea regarding how long in the hobby, the one point for length of your largest fish in inches multiplied by its age.  I.e. Hank is 5 inches long and 5 years old, 25

My male Jack Dempsey is my longest but he was an adult when rescued so I don’t know his age.  I’ve had him 3.5 years, estimate of at least 2(?) years old when rescued?  So that would give me another 55 points since he’s every bit of 10”, probably closer to 11.  😆 

On 9/26/2023 at 11:45 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Or a point for every year in the hobby?

This would give me another ~36 points - started in 1975, stopped for about 12 years, started back up 3.5 years ago when I rescued the Jacks.

On 9/26/2023 at 1:29 PM, GoofyGarra said:

so total is: 28 or 18.

I would say you get 28!

On 9/26/2023 at 9:39 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

1 point per live plant

I can’t possibly count them all, it would take all day!  All 28 tanks have some kind of live plant, most have multiples, many are dense with plants.  I have plants in my kitchen sink right now and just noticed a bladder snail hitchhiker!  😆 Total plants in my tanks would number somewhere in the hundreds.  Even if you count only by species I’m in the dozens.  I need to stop.  😝 😂 🤣 

On 9/26/2023 at 9:39 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

10 points if you have made on coop order 

15 if you subscribe to the youtube channel

OK, I clearly have a problem because I qualify for these, too!

On 9/26/2023 at 11:46 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

think that you’re a NERM if you know what NERM means. It’s more a state of mind then it is how many tanks or fish or setups or equipment you have. 

For me it’s going to a shop, a convention, a club meeting and absorbing information and good vibes of fish keepers who aren’t judging you and are accepting you for your fish crazed self. 

Most excellent point!  It’s kind of fun to total things up (I never knew just being old and crazy would get me so many points!) but the heart of it is that we care about our fish and our fishy friends!

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

There are so many ways to nerm out on this topic.  If I count the largest fish I have, I might get +50pts.  If I count the largest fish I've had: +176pts.

1 point for each different types of "easy" plants that you have killed.  That brings up the question: Do I get a positive or a negative for each type I plant a second time?

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2023 at 10:29 AM, Tanked said:

There are so many ways to nerm out on this topic.  If I count the largest fish I have, I might get +50pts.  If I count the largest fish I've had: +176pts.

1 point for each different types of "easy" plants that you have killed.  That brings up the question: Do I get a positive or a negative for each type I plant a second time?

I’d get a negative for how many times I’ve replanted jungle Val in my angelfish tank.  It seems it might be settling in this time.  Maybe.  It’s in the most out of the way corner trying to keep the angels out of it until it can establish.  It still gets light since there’s a light right above it.  It should, theoretically be doing great, getting tall, spreading out from behind that rock (which is the look I’m hoping for), but NOOooooooOOOOOOOOoooooo!  Just keep on struggling ya dratted plants!

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/27/2023 at 5:11 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’d get a negative for how many times I’ve replanted jungle Val in my angelfish tank.  It seems it might be settling in this time.  Maybe.  It’s in the most out of the way corner trying to keep the angels out of it until it can establish.  It still gets light since there’s a light right above it.  It should, theoretically be doing great, getting tall, spreading out from behind that rock (which is the look I’m hoping for), but NOOooooooOOOOOOOOoooooo!  Just keep on struggling ya dratted plants!

That described my entire planted tank experience.  So far I only get 5 negatives.  JV was my first plant. It put out runners but never grew. Italian Val migrated to the front of the tank, and died.  PSO was supposed to be the wonder weed. It won't grow in the tank with the expensive lights and ferts.

On 9/28/2023 at 7:58 AM, Tanked said:

That described my entire planted tank experience.  So far I only get 5 negatives.  JV was my first plant. It put out runners but never grew. Italian Val migrated to the front of the tank, and died.  PSO was supposed to be the wonder weed. It won't grow in the tank with the expensive lights and ferts.

I sympathize deeply!  😝  I’ve had plants that do great - my little 3 G shrimp,tank has been busting at the seems with Java fern ‘Needle Leaf’ - I’ve pulled out extra twice already and it’s only about 6 months old.  Most recently I trimmed off enough Anubias nana ‘Petite’ to get 6 new plants!  Barely fertilize it because it’s only 3 gallons, has a very not fancy or high tech, cheap, submersible, LED light that I just finally glued to the lid yesterday, but my 2 species of low light plants are going gangbusters.  I do leave the light on 24/7 but I’m going to finally get around to setting it up on a timer today.  😆 

I’ve got so much susswassertang that I can sell it to my LFS and give away to friends.  I throw away absolute heaps of the unwanted duckweed from some tanks (really need to get rolling on fish room plans that include overflows).  I can grow swords (even better if I’m actually use my root tabs - making more is on my short list), crypts, Anubias, mosses, sometimes Buces, but good old Val?  Meh.  🤷🏻‍♀️  Underperforming, shall we say?  I’ll keep trying!

• Like 1