65 Gallon - need ideas

DebSills

I am picking up a 65 gallon tank tonight and I need some ideas - the only thing that I have right now to go in there will be 6 paleatus cories, outside of that, I'm fairly open to anything. Since its a super tall tank, I'd like to make sure all swim levels are covered. The tank will be planted (crypts, Val, anubias, java fern windelov, maybe some stems, but concerned with enough light getting to them)

this won't be set up for a few months, but I definitely want to start planning (my favorite part 🙂)

thanks in advance!

• Like 1

With those type of corydoras I think you'd do good with any sort of minnow species, rasboras, barbs, or danio fish.

If it was my tank personally, then I would start with 3 schools of fish and some additional "algae eaters" to ease the cleaning.
-School of Odessa Barbs
-School of Melon Barbs
-School of Rummynose Rasbora
-Pleco (rubberlip or bristlenose)
-Otocinclus (4-6)
-Amano Shrimp (15+)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had the same tank going since early 2020, with ten turquoise rainbowfish, fifteen or so lemon tetras, and a shoal of green corys.  I'm reasonably happy with it, and those fish have done well.

At various times I've thought it needed a centerpiece fish, so I've tried angelfish twice, and a pair of Bolivian rams once, but neither lasted more than a few months.  They might not like my hard high pH water.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2023 at 8:16 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Ask any aquarist who’s been around for at least 4 years, and I’ll bet that they’ll confirm getting a “COVID aquarium”! 🙃

You're not wrong, in general, but I got this one from my wife for Christmas 2021.  I got it set up shortly before Covid hit.

I don't have super hard water, so Africans are out - especially since its only a three foot tank and it will be fully planted

I currently have tetras, rasboras, cories, gourami, platies, otos - danios haven't done overly well in my water nor do guppies/endlers - I have primarily nanos in my 29 so I'd love to get something a little bigger - the barb tank definitely has me intrigued

mainly just looking for ideas, its a strange tank size, so "stocking ideas" on you tube are non-existent 🙂 I also just love planning different tanks, so I like hearing everyone's ideas.

for those that suggest angels - how many would you put in there?

Thanks all!!!

Have you considered peaceful dwarf cichlids?

Some peaceful community dwarfs that can handle community temps and like the not overly hard water are the Laetacara. 

So far I only have the L. dorsigera and L. Curviceps but there are many variations. 

With my dorsigera I apparently had leftover panda Cory eggs. The fry grew unmolested to juveniles and they do not bother my shrimp. Very adorable wet pet water puppy type fish. 

Here are photos of some of mine  the dorsigera communicate through color and pattern changes  mine are very talkative 🤣

Dorsigera 8DA06BF7-9B5C-4DDE-AF5A-D7F1F0ECFF77.jpeg.5b75227bd0f7e021184b68467ad7155a.jpeg3E65BF2C-647D-477C-AF8A-07AE245EED99.jpeg.686e686d3c6a61ce25fa0b2524a0cd0c.jpeg

Curviceps731C723F-30BA-4A8F-90C9-525E8E062252.jpeg.f5a6ed58f67689db2d7278c6d7f61165.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@DebSills You have had a community tank, are you thinking another community tank only larger fish? Or, are you thinking more like a single species only (obviously with the corys... so, two species)? If you are looking for a single species, I would recommend the Rose-line Barb... or if another community, then a community of various barbs.

Rose-line Barbs are a stunning fish, in my opinion.

ROSELINE BARB.png

Edited by JChristophersAdventures
  • Like 2

@JChristophersAdventures I absolutely love the dennison barb, but they do get a little big for only a 3 ft tank, so maybe someday when I get a 6ft tank, I'll put those in, but probably not this setup 🙂

@Guppysnail Those look amazing - the only dwarf cichlids around me tend to be apistos, rams and kribs, which I would be open to, but want to make sure I'm not overloading the lower part of the tank since its so tall, so I could do a couple of dwarf cichlids, but would definitely need some other stuff to round out the mid and upper levels of the tank. My only other "fear" is that I don't want anything that needs to be warm - looking to keep the tank ~76+- my office is on a mid level of my house, so it stays a little cooler than the rest of the house since its half in-ground, so trying to keep temps over 80 would be tricky

Thanks!!

Edited by DebSills
  • Like 1