Share Your Tank

Cinnebuns

I've had a rough week, and especially last 2 days. I actually had someone kinda rip me apart in how I organize my tanks and burned my spirit in the hobby a little. I'm looking for some revitalization and fun as well as some inspiration! 

What's your favorite tank?  Share a pic and/or video! Extra points for a video!

What size?

What's the stocking?

What inspired your decor setup and/or aquascape?

What about this tank makes you the most proud?

Any fun stories?

Tell us all you want!!

• Like 1

I have 1main display tank, it is a 20high:

2023-03-05-073311.jpg.4bc3d3cae2b7104f1b3b041a6623778e.jpg

it is not apparent in the picture, but there is a hole of plants here:

Screenshot_2023-03-05_07-35-12.png.356aefef8fad4587ab52cdbeea87b688.png

this had some brazilian pennywort, but after turning down my light to combat algae it wasnt doing so well, so its floating here:

Screenshot_2023-03-05_07-36-13.png.072f320d57a4517034ce1e8b9430bc04.png

Stocking: Platies,Platies,Platies,Platies,Platies,Platies, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, 7corydora fry, 1 corydora fry runt, 6 adult albino corydoras, 1betta (male crowntail)(named John),1 Panda Garra (named Garra Guy),1 nerite snail.

No big inspiration ive slowly added plants throughout last year and there is a  medium peice of eucalyptus root covered in anubias and java fern, and its mostly a jungle style tank, though the plants are not as big as i want right now.

I am proud of the odd color varieties of platies i end up with, with the weird genetics in platies, and me doing NOTHING about it, i can a few interesting colors, also just proud of FINALLY getting successful at corydora fry.

Fun stories:

Once apon a time, a corydora went to the surface for air, on its way down, it landed on John the betta, it was SO funny to watch

also just Panda Garras are SO fun to watch.

• Like 1

This is my second tank set up. It’s a quarantine tank for sick rasbora. Kinda forgot I was intending to do a higher salt concentration when I was adding plants/moss.

I didn’t have a lot to work with. Some plant clippings, some moss clippings, couple rocks and a little wood.  I wanted to add crushed corral but it looks so bad on the black substrate I started or do a path, then realized I needed way more. So I ended up with kinda a weird pool and path, still needed more. Thought hey, it can look like a mountain lake running down to a pool. Nope just looks like 1/3 of my tank is white. 
Then I just started throwing stuff with bacteria in to help cycle the tank fast and gravel vac dirty tank water onto everything 

the sick rasbora have been schooling around with the light off doing figure 8s1950C5B3-0098-431C-84EE-D7C86E0B7AE5.jpeg.4d4e1780859de77483caca1e233ab8f2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

20230208_141652.jpg.dd8c378f56fbad6dcca7ec586d165c80.jpg20230125_134751.jpg.c42d15f293768d5a21214d1b7aa9404b.jpgThis is my 7th tank.  16 gallon UNS cube. 

Stocking: 100's of red Rili Shrimp, 6 panda corydoras, 6 pigmy Corydoras Habrosis, 7 cardinal tetras, 1 males German Blue Ram, 1 otocinclus, 2 chili rasboras, 2 male guppies, 4 Amano Shrimp.

I was inspired by high tech planted aquariums I saw on YouTube. 

I am most proud of the home made stand and light hanger.

Funny stories? Well often . While the corydoras are enjoying their xtreme aquatic foods bottom wafer, in a swarm, one of the Amano shrimp will just walk through the swarm of corydoras and pick up the wafer. Then walk away like a little bandit. It makes me laugh every time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 5

As long as your tanks make you happy, it doesn't matter what other people think. 

I use to have a nerite snail named Gary (after Gary the snail from Sponge Bob).  One month later, Gary started laying eggs all over everything lol.

PXL_20230305_210713285.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 3/5/2023 at 6:41 AM, Theplatymaster said:

Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails, Mini Ramshorn snails, Mini Ramshorn Snails,

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahaha. I laughed so hard. Lol. 

On 3/5/2023 at 11:06 AM, Pepere said:

If your tanks make you happy, dont let someones comments steal your joy….

I agree and usually brush it off but it was a close friend who I respect so it hit harder. 

• Like 2

Hope these make you feel better!

20230305_194125.jpg.6239b551454bec6e5152948f69ec6007.jpg

20 gallon, full of Mollies, Swordtails, Harlequin Rasboras, Nerite Snails, Bristlenose Plecos, and Peppered Corydoras.  First tank, had it for a few months, and man have I made some mistakes, mostly concerning algae control.  But it's come a long way!

20230305_194135.jpg.c50a7f216f12a57b2a55bcd9b11201a1.jpg

10 gallon, right now just housing a betta but I'm hoping to give him a community.  Fortunately I haven't had too many issues other than trying to keep plants in the substrate.  I recently removed dwarf hair grass cause it wasn't doing anything (and kept floating up), and replaced it with dwarf chain sword.  The banana plant has taken off, but it doesn't wanna stay put so I've got a rock holding it down.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 3/5/2023 at 2:59 AM, Cinnebuns said:

What size?

What's the stocking?

What inspired your decor setup and/or aquascape?

What about this tank makes you the most proud?

Any fun stories?

75G
Stocking: 3-4 SAEs (I think there was 5, don't recall at the end),  20-25 tiger barbs (depends on how much the tidal skimmer allowed to sleep), 1 BNPs, 1 RLPs, 2 Clown Plecos, Odessa barbs, 1 white cloud, Panda Corydoras Horde, borneo loaches, amano shrimp, and last but not least Grace the RTBS.

Decor was minimal but I was trying to base it off of the California Kelp Forests.  Tall stem plants, lava rocks, and beach sand.  I also had mopani wood in the tank as well as a handful of pleco caves.  Club panda was the most fun cave and the hillstream loach played security alongside the panda parent.

I think I enjoyed this tank so much because it was what I cut my teeth on getting plants to grow.  My absolute favorite thing was deciding to buck up (mindset, not money) and get a CO2 system.  It really changed how I viewed things and I was so worried about putting everything together.  It was very intimidating and ended up being 15 minutes of work and a lot of fun.  It felt like adding a chemistry set to the tank!

I think the "fun" part of this tank was the sheer chaos that was filtration.  5 filters. 6 if I was just bored and wanted more bubbles or circulation.  The fish were extremely happy with the tank and I spent many nights just sitting there watching them do their things.  Corydoras hanging out on the top of the ziss bubble bio filters taking a nap and the tiger barbs half asleep floating around in slow motion.  I remember many nights just in awe of everything.  A densely planted, but with some open space for upper water fish is worth the effort.  I don't think many would believe me, but SAEs are like beached whales and can't even be bothered to swim around half the day.  Big female tiger barbs are the same way.  Once they have had food, sometimes they just want to be away from the group and get some chill time while they incubate eggs.

I wish I could find more photos, but I have a ton of memories.

On 3/5/2023 at 2:59 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I've had a rough week, and especially last 2 days. I actually had someone kinda rip me apart in how I organize my tanks and burned my spirit in the hobby a little. I'm looking for some revitalization and fun as well as some inspiration! 

I don't understand and I'm very sorry this happened to you! Feel free to send me a message.  I got some Rocky clips around here somewhere.... 🙂

"Are you tired?" - quote from one of my favorite movies and very applicable.  Mystery Alaska is the movie.

Edited by nabokovfan87

I have several tanks, but the one I've been working on (since discovering ALOT of hydra) is a 10 gallon blue dream tank. It started as a shrimp only tank plus a mystery snail. To fight hydra without medication I added 6 strawberry rasboras. They didn't seem interested in the hydra, but they really added a lot to the tank. I am in love with them! Next up came spixi snails. Also amazing to look at and they are definitely cleaning up the hydra. Now I think I have found my dream team. Shrimp, rasboras and snails for the win! I plan to replicate this in more tanks with different colored shrimp and different types of micro rasboras.

If your tanks are healthy and they make you happy, that's what it's all about!

20230302_210710.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I dug a little into your posts and i think your tanks look good! I mean you have a thread about breeding cories you clearly know what you are doing. Ppl on this forum often ask for your advice specifically. Is anyone asking for the advice of this rando hating on your tanks? Don't take other ppl to seriously. Your fish are lucky to be in your care!

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 8:25 PM, Scapexghost said:

I dug a little into your posts and i think your tanks look good! I mean you have a thread about breeding cories you clearly know what you are doing. Ppl on this forum often ask for your advice specifically. Is anyone asking for the advice of this rando hating on your tanks? Don't take other ppl to seriously. Your fish are lucky to be in your care!

It was a friend. I think a discussion got out of hand tbh so he started ripping into some losses I've had recently. Literally 2 juveniles and about 6 fry. The juveniles were the fungus posts I made in diseases. The fry were because I had a population boom which caused an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spike. But the way he worded it was harsh. He basically said that not doing all species only tanks is a mistake and sited those losses as to one reason why. He's missing the points that 1.  Those losses had nothing to do with species only and 2.  I don't do species only because I do it as a hobby and not as a job. I took it pretty harsh because hes a friend who's opinion I respect plus I had a rough week already. 

On 3/5/2023 at 11:21 AM, Tommy Vercetti said:

Funny stories? Well often . While the corydoras are enjoying their xtreme aquatic foods bottom wafer, in a swarm, one of the Amano shrimp will just walk through the swarm of corydoras and pick up the wafer. Then walk away like a little bandit. It makes me laugh every time.

Lol I love that!  It's always fun what you can see!

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 3

On 3/6/2023 at 12:49 AM, Cinnebuns said:

It was a friend. I think a discussion got out of hand tbh so he started ripping into some losses I've had recently. Literally 2 juveniles and about 6 fry. The juveniles were the fungus posts I made in diseases. The fry were because I had a population boom which caused an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spike. But the way he worded it was harsh. He basically said that not doing all species only tanks is a mistake and sited those losses as to one reason why. He's missing the points that 1.  Those losses had nothing to do with species only and 2.  I don't do species only because I do it as a hobby and not as a job. I took it pretty harsh because hes a friend who's opinion I respect plus I had a rough week already. 

Yeah i understand how your feeling. A few weeks ago i was really struggling with a class and then my fish started having swim bladder problems. And i also think your completely in the right personally.

On 3/5/2023 at 10:49 PM, Cinnebuns said:

The last time I lost fish was because I heard a splash at night and didn't check.  By the time I looked down and thought what was a bug wasn't.... I found far more than one fish on the floor and I was gutted.  Literally bugged me to no end because I went and bought the lid designed for the tank and the company that produces it decided to leave gaps.

There was a variety of screwups that caused that whole ball of issues to happen.  By the end of sorting through all the reasons that led to the deaths, I felt like I failed in the worst way possible.  It does happen and it is always going to feel dejecting and like the worst failure if you are the type who deep down seriously cares about the life in the tank.

In Cory's words, the only failure is not learning from it and making the same mistake over and over.

Things happen, and all you can do is adjust accordingly and take it on the chin. 

In my case, the fish jumped because I didn't adjust the PH consistently enough with the buffer and because I was leaving the lid open during WCs (and gaps).  Fish saw daylight and tried to escape the conditions.  A hole the size of a nail file and I swear I had 3 fish jump through it.  5-6 total found on the floor.... devastating to me. 

Then I went from that followed it up with trying to add shrimp to the tank months later. Within 8 hours the fish chased and killed them all, so I thought.  Once I moved fish out, I found half of the shrimp.  I still have no idea how many are ok/alive.  Two of the worst feelings I've had in the hobby were far too recent for my own comfort.

Hopefully we can sort out issues that you're having and help with the things you can control.  

“Write it on your heart
that every day is the best day in the year.
He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day
who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety.

Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt crept in.
Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a new day;
begin it well and serenely, with too high a spirit
to be cumbered with your old nonsense.

This new day is too dear,
with its hopes and invitations,
to waste a moment on the yesterdays.”

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

^^ I spend a lot of days waking up and needing to focus by reading quotes like this.  One day at a time. 

Edited by nabokovfan87
typo

On 3/5/2023 at 4:59 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I had a rough week as well, I lost Goldie Blue (my betta) on Monday. Very unexpected, still not sure what happened, and still totally heartbroken. 

But on the bright side, I have had some fun projects going on. I moved my axolotl Bubbles into her new 40g that finally decided it wanted to cycle, and I moved my male betta Butterfly into Bubbles old 20g tank today. That tank was meant to be a half and half split for him and Goldie Blue, but...R.I.P. My tattoo artist is going to work him into my next session, we are working on a Disney sleeve, and Moana is next. This part is a water theme and he will Disney-fy him and it will fit right in. 

I was out getting a lid for Bubbles new tank with my best friend who never stops me from doing stupid things (which is why I love her so much) and she made the big mistake of looking at the betta cups. Lo and behold, I spot this little girl with the cutest mouth and I was done. We got her for free because she had some fin rot on her front fin, it's almost totally healed now. I am so in love with her. 

It's hard when someone you respect slights you. I don't have anything to say to make it feel better, but if what you're doing with your tank setups make you happy, then who cares what other people have to say. I am not as eloquent as @nabokovfan87 is, he always has a fantastic quote to cheer me up or encourage me in my fishkeeping. But I really hope that you don't let the comments from someone get you down for too long. As you said, it's not a job...it's for fun. Plus it's a full moon tonight, maybe he was about to turn into a werewolf or something? You never know... lol. 

IMG20230301200410.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 3/5/2023 at 11:21 AM, Tommy Vercetti said:

20230208_141652.jpg.dd8c378f56fbad6dcca7ec586d165c80.jpg20230125_134751.jpg.c42d15f293768d5a21214d1b7aa9404b.jpgThis is my 7th tank.  16 gallon UNS cube. 

Stocking: 100's of red Rili Shrimp, 6 panda corydoras, 6 pigmy Corydoras Habrosis, 7 cardinal tetras, 1 males German Blue Ram, 1 otocinclus, 2 chili rasboras, 2 male guppies, 4 Amano Shrimp.

I was inspired by high tech planted aquariums I saw on YouTube. 

I am most proud of the home made stand and light hanger.

I'm also impressed with your Vinyl collection.

• Thanks 1

This is our oldest planted tank, a 10 gallon aquarium. 

We currently have cpds, ember tetras, a few Otos, Nerite snails, and cherry shrimp ( with new babies!). 

The scape began with just a small piece of driftwood that has Anubias attached. That was my first aquatic plant. Once I saw how nice it looked, I added a dragon stone and went all out on plants. I love Ambulia and Red tiger lotus, and they’re both doing so well here. 

I’m proud of this tank because it’s been the most difficult to manage. Early on, I lost so many fish and snails as I learned things the hard way. We have be baby cpd and about a dozen baby shrimp as of last week, and that makes it all worth it. Couldn’t be happier with how the tank is flourishing at 9 months. 

Fun story would be how I once had nothing in this tank but eco complete and mystery snails, and I would make videos of them moving around the tank with Minions music and sounds in the background lol. I actually lost those videos when I dropped my phone in one of our tanks.  

82A209CE-0D34-4CB6-B3A3-514CE6D71688.jpeg

Edited by Scaperoot
Reason for losing videos
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

10 gallons - four CPDs and 1 random furcata rainbow that came with them from Aqua Huna, and lots of mixed neo shrimp and some snails.  Forgot there's two very small bristlenose plecos in there... currently just cleanup on the glass, they've done well.  Plants... I don't even know what all of them are.  Guppy grass predominantly (I have a TON of this stuff now and it all started with a tiny piece that @JettsPapasent along with some shrimp that I got from him), it's becoming a jungle and I'm here for it.  If any plant grows well in my water, it's my favorite plant.  The taller stuff to the sides is some sort of hygro.  It doesn't grow, but it doesn't die.  My favorite plant appearance-wise in the tank is in the back, I need to redo this a bit so it doesn't get choked out by the guppy grass.  Rotala indica, maybe?  

I wouldn't be worried about what someone else says about your tanks.  As long as you are happy and you're caring for your fish/inverts to the best of your ability... who cares what someone else things? 🙂

Anyway... here it is.  

image.jpeg.04b133c2898adb3c68148c2abe270670.jpeg

Here's a picture with part of the plant that I think is the rotala indica (the pinkish colored one).

20230222_170217.jpg.48543498644661fe7360ffc8a24d1fc8.jpg

Here is this same tank in early October.  I'm happy with where it's at.  I've removed all the floaters except some hornwort and maybe a couple dwarf water lettuces floating around. image.jpeg.972d92bce8eb32061075fae33c9b475d.jpeg

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Love 6

Here are the tanks I am somewhat proud of at the moment, but there are still things I am working on with all of them.

Here is my 75g. Stocking is:
-Roseline sharks
-Rainbow shark
-SAEs
-Flagfish
-Reticulated hillstream loaches
-CPO crayfish
-Pear gourami
-Bolivian rams

I'm pretty happy with the plant placement and most of my plants are doing well. I'm finally getting my madagascar lace to thrive, which is very exciting. I think my center rock cave looks really good with the anubias nana petite. I also love watching my roseline sharks zoom around.

20230306_172206.jpg.a2068b8d4e9c3f7baeedaf6d9bef670f.jpg

20230306_175019.jpg.2f8b002fd1a56f38a8342315e1ff8110.jpg

Here is my 29g. Stocking is
-Angelfish
-Platys
-Honey gouramis
-German blue rams
-Kuhli loaches
-Ottos

I really like the lava stone on the left. I'm pretty happy with the plant placement on this one too. 20230306_174009.jpg.811639b4bcc479763a373242d9a4cdb2.jpg

Here is my 40g. Stocking is
-Fancy goldfish
-Zebrafish
-Swordtails
-Peppered corys
-BN plecos
-One bolivian ram that was getting bullied in my other tank so I moved him 😞

I really like the simplicity and the ease of maintenance in this tank. It's my only low light tank, and I basically have to do nothing compared to the others and if anything I think it looks better. 

• Love 3

I'm sorry you experienced that, don't let them ruin your enjoyment, as others said, as long as you enjoy them, that's what matters. I recently left a Facebook Beginners group because they were so toxic to people over there & I didn't want to be a part of that environment when I know everyone here is so helpful and supportive. Here (in order) are my 1 gallon water garden, current inhabitants are snails - sadly, I discovered yesterday this beautiful Blue Ramshorn died 😞.  My 2 gallon water garden, where I just discovered this morning my other Blue Ramshorn had at least 2 babies - one is double the size of the other, so who knows what else I will find? This jar does have a couple baby shrimp in it as well. And last, but not least, my 14 gallon cube which currently only has snails that hitched a ride on some plants my Godson gave me. I set it up February 21st and I'm still cycling it. 

It all started with just wanting some tiny water gardens for my office at work, I wanted a peaceful space and then I fell in love with Japanese Ricefish and mini-ponds. My plan is to stock the 14 with ricefish, first & foremost, plus CPD's and maybe pigmy corys or? 

image.jpeg.a5764484c8a23cdae56af555e99b9bc2.jpeg

20230128_111109.jpg

20230128_110357.jpg

20230222_165012.jpg

• Like 3

My 40 gallon custom made  planted community / betta sorority tank that I had setup back in 2018 is my favorite tank ever. 

image.jpeg.e43364c1f7e4bb9f9744c792fc051b31.jpeg

Stocked it with:

Bolivian rams

GBR (blue, gold and EB)

lampeye killi

Pygmy cory

forgot the rest 😂

My friends that don’t keep fish never bother to look at my tanks when they come over but this tank would always catch their attention 

Here’s a vid:

This is how the tank looks like when it’s neglected for one week and by neglected I mean I didn’t trim 😂😂

Edited by knee
  • Love 5

On 3/6/2023 at 7:53 PM, knee said:

My 40 gallon custom made  planted community / betta sorority tank that I had setup back in 2018 is my favorite tank ever. 

@Mmiller2001 @gjcarew  and you would make an awesome dutch tank.  I feel it.  I'd love to see the dutch style scapers on this forum make one together one day.  SUCH great stuff that each of you all do individually.

• Like 2

My standard response for people who rip me is : If you could have done better, why didn't you?

My favorites are the 4 Tinfoil Barbs in the75 gallon. The tank is on a tall stand, ensuring that it is close to eye level whether sitting or standing.  The style is Less = More. It has gone through a few changes over the years. The present setup is plain, and almost maintains itself.

Slate Fish.JPG

Leviathan1.jpg

TFB1.jpg

TFB Crew.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1