Newbie things I learned doing my last water change.

Mary K

1.)  Look at the bottle of water conditioner to make sure it is conditioner.  I just grabbed the bottle with a pump. It was the Easy Green bottle.   (Only added it to 5 gals before I saw my mistake.)

2.) Don't forget to turn the filter back on after doing a water change.  I noticed it 24 hours later. Luckily no Ammonia spike.  

3.  Don't skip a water change.  I went 2 weeks.  Nitrates were way to high and it took me doing a 7gal water change  3 times to get it down.  (its only a 29 gal.) 

4. Don't over feed. See #3. :classic_mellow:

(Started Tank up Sep 2nd)IMG_2588.jpeg.4b136b1650b7648b7878aac3e8178e12.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

I've had to get creative with heating water. I use gallon milk jugs to change about 5 gallons twice a week in my two tanks. The aged water is about 66-70 depending on where it's stored (I need to get water storage worked out in my little house). What I do is heat 1 quart to about 100-120 in the microwave, then mix a small amount of that with the room temp water in a separate plastic container and add to tank using my hand to guage the temp. Repeat process a few times. It is not ideal at all which is why I do smaller changes more often. In the summer there will be the problem of cooling the water. I'm thinking aged water ice cubes which I'll probably have to add randomly throughout the day, at least in the danio tank. Does anyone have any better ideas about keeping them cool in the heat? I keep my ac at 78-80 during the day and in heat waves it can't even keep up with that. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm doing things wrong, but I've never forgotten to turn something back on after a water change because I never turn anything off.  The intakes on my HOB's are still below the water line when I do water changes.  The flow may slow down when the water level drops, but they keep going.

And my heaters are all placed low enough in the tanks that they also stay below the water line.  Some of them are very near horizontal instead of vertical, but they stay in the water.

• Like 3

On 11/2/2020 at 2:49 PM, Mary K said:

1.)  Look at the bottle of water conditioner to make sure it is conditioner.  I just grabbed the bottle with a pump. It was the Easy Green bottle.   (Only added it to 5 gals before I saw my mistake.)

2.) Don't forget to turn the filter back on after doing a water change.  I noticed it 24 hours later. Luckily no Ammonia spike.  

3.  Don't skip a water change.  I went 2 weeks.  Nitrates were way to high and it took me doing a 7gal water change  3 times to get it down.  (its only a 29 gal.) 

4. Don't over feed. See #3. :classic_mellow:

(Started Tank up Sep 2nd)IMG_2588.jpeg.4b136b1650b7648b7878aac3e8178e12.jpeg

1# is really important accidently use seachem nitrogen all the shrimp died surprisingly the fish were fine 🤔

• Sad 2