Aquarium Physically Off- Balance

Pookieq

Hey folks!

So I posted on here previously about larger stand options for a 55 gal. Well, ultimately I did purchase and assemble a purpose built stand for my now 75 gal. 
However, I noticed today while in the process of slowly checking for leaks that the tank sets slightly off balance. So much so that there is a half inch difference in water level from one end to the other. The list seems to be to the left, ie lower. Should I be concerned? The tank is currently empty except for water so it won’t be too much of a hassle to move again. 
Before placing the tank I had already added a shim to the left side to try and balance it out and get rid of a wobble.  But there is still about another 3 inches or so that I could wedge beneath the stand. Would that help or would that compromise the structural integrity of the stand?

I should also add that width-wise the tank is perfectly level. 

Anyway, I’d like to know what you all think about this.

Thanks!

91DF2028-0397-4EEE-A7EA-14A1C3C94BFE.jpeg

270876BF-212B-4D8F-B6B8-F2C227154727.jpeg

On 12/8/2022 at 5:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

image.png.2cfc1ba959cf8d58a092e3c774bec714.png

I had thought of adding a rubber mat of some sort earlier, but thought it wouldn’t be able to add much. I’ll reconsider it now. 
The degree to which the tank is off matches the stand and is consistent, as in there isn’t a weird bump in the middle. Also, as I just discovered it matches up with the slope of the floor. 
Shims seem the most obvious solution. My worry with those was in regard to the design of the stand. It doesn’t rest on just two legs, but has two braces that run the entire length. 
The solution I’m thinking of now is to shim both ends of the left until I achieve a level surface. My guess right now is that I’ll need more in front than back since I already have a shim partially placed there. And then to shim the two length long braces to support. 

C61CB8AD-5683-4F99-900C-FB3C2AC31FDC.jpeg

On 12/8/2022 at 4:20 PM, Pookieq said:

Hey folks!

So I posted on here previously about larger stand options for a 55 gal. Well, ultimately I did purchase and assemble a purpose built stand for my now 75 gal. 
However, I noticed today while in the process of slowly checking for leaks that the tank sets slightly off balance. So much so that there is a half inch difference in water level from one end to the other. The list seems to be to the left, ie lower. Should I be concerned? The tank is currently empty except for water so it won’t be too much of a hassle to move again. 
Before placing the tank I had already added a shim to the left side to try and balance it out and get rid of a wobble.  But there is still about another 3 inches or so that I could wedge beneath the stand. Would that help or would that compromise the structural integrity of the stand?

I should also add that width-wise the tank is perfectly level. 

Anyway, I’d like to know what you all think about this.

Thanks!

91DF2028-0397-4EEE-A7EA-14A1C3C94BFE.jpeg

270876BF-212B-4D8F-B6B8-F2C227154727.jpeg

Unless it is actively moving it should be fine see the video by md fish tanks where he made the most unlevel tank

On 12/8/2022 at 3:06 PM, Pookieq said:

Shims seem the most obvious solution. My worry with those was in regard to the design of the stand. It doesn’t rest on just two legs, but has two braces that run the entire length. 
The solution I’m thinking of now is to shim both ends of the left until I achieve a level surface. My guess right now is that I’ll need more in front than back since I already have a shim partially placed there. And then to shim the two length long braces to support. 

My 75G stand has 6 legs. so there is a design perk to what you're running in some situations.  Let me show you how I'd shim it.

Black part is the actual shim and placement.  Kind of an annoyance, but get it sorted now and you'll have peace of mind moving forward.

image.png.cb923360b55efe2bf7aaa552c4c1c681.png

• Like 2

My apartment has a 1 degree tilt in the floor. My tank also sits unlevel and since its 4 feet long it is noticeable in water level. 

This might be something that was built into your floors as well. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I really notice it when I’m in my office chair at my desk. Have to anchor myself to the table practically.

• Like 2

My house is 90 years old with oak floors that most definitely aren't level! I highly recommend getting a piece of yoga mat and cut it to fit your aquarium. I use shims as well to help with the aquarium stand wobbliness. The left side water level of my 29gal is about two inches than the right and it really isn't noticeable unless you're trying to see it.

So, after a trip to the hardware store for shims and experimenting with those for a couple hours I really don’t feel that I’ve gotten anywhere. 

I’ve created Frankenstein-like combinations of two shims to no real avail. 

The degree of tilt never changed by any worth while amount. Although, and I feel a little dumb saying this, I discovered that the problem of balancing everything didn’t lie with elevating the left, but rather the right side. You see the floor actually slopes up. So my knee jerk reaction at seeing the water level lower on the left was wrong. The water was showing true level the whole time. 

At one point I had the entire right end elevated but then became concerned about the middle support. As designed it should sit flush with the side panels, however much of it became elevated so as to be taller than even than even two shims combined. note image of the shims with the line drawn across representing how far each had gone in between the bottom shim and the unit. 
The middle support rests flush without the shims making me think this may all be a bit superfluous, the unit is supported throughout without all the extra elevation. 

The building is older, approximately 1920’s or 30’s, so it has a little character like angled floors. 

I’m thinking tomorrow that I’ll try to place, if not also cut, a yoga mat beneath the entire unit and see if that helps at all. 

Photo 1: the space on the bottom which is higher than a single shim

Photo 2: how far each second shim went in

Photo 3: the top is before, bottom is after

6302B34F-0809-4478-8F19-47FDF2CE9FBB.jpeg

C5782C6E-37D4-4623-BFE2-083F49B41924.jpeg

57E41D6F-4CF9-496F-8CD7-ED35072F8025.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Looking better. Almost there!

Whenever you get the pad and all that stuff in place. Fill the tank 25% then recheck, fill it 50% recheck, fill it 75% recheck, etc.

It's a deceivingly large amount of weight and can "settle" once the weight is on place or a little bit of time after the tank is setup.

Looks good.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a related question - I built my 75 gallon stand (standard 2x4 construction) for an Aqueon tank that has the black frame on top and bottom as well as center braces. is putting foam under the tank an absolute must do thing?

I built the stand with some trim work to hide the edges and I forgot to account for the foam when setting the reveal height. Trying to avoid rework on the stand but also don't want to risk the aquarium over what is really a cosmetic issue. 

Any thoughts or experience would help. 

On 2/27/2023 at 9:29 AM, PlaneFishGuy said:

I have a related question - I built my 75 gallon stand (standard 2x4 construction) for an Aqueon tank that has the black frame on top and bottom as well as center braces. is putting foam under the tank an absolute must do thing?

I built the stand with some trim work to hide the edges and I forgot to account for the foam when setting the reveal height. Trying to avoid rework on the stand but also don't want to risk the aquarium over what is really a cosmetic issue. 

Any thoughts or experience would help. 

It is more good practice than an absolute must.  The foam does not have to be thick.  It helps the aquarium adjust to any minor flaws in your construction.

Minor racking from an uneven floor, a rocking motion from warped plywood, spilled water seeping under the aquarium...