Peaceful community fish

Rita

Hey guys! I’m looking to add some new fish to my community aquarium. I currently have 8 ember tetras and a betta (along with a bunch of amano shrimp and various snails) in a planted 20 gal long. I’m looking to add another small community fish but I’d like some opinions on the most peaceful fish you’ve kept.
My ember tetras are the absolute best! They leave my long fin betta alone, no nipping no harassing and they mostly keep to themselves. Anything else similar out there? If all else fails I might just get some more embers since I like them so much!

heres a recent pic of the tank 

1C1C81A7-E4EB-46EF-B243-8509DC687DD4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 6:27 PM, Rita said:

I’m looking to add another small community fish but I’d like some opinions on the most peaceful fish you’ve kept.

you have a betta in there and so that limits things.

Most peaceful for me personally is WCMM, but they like cooler tank temperatures.

A green neon might do well for you!

• Thanks 1

I think 10-12 galaxy rasboras would look amazing in that tank. Their orange fins would compliment the orange bodies of the ember tetras and they have a busy without being hyper way of swimming.  They stay more in the bottom half of the tank.  Or green neons would also look amazing.
I’d also bump your embers up to 12.  Mine spread out all over when I bumped their numbers up.  

• Like 1

I would go for some corydora. Pandas are my favorite. They stay near substrate and glass. Some like my melini and Pygmy swim a lot more midwater so may annoy your betta with the activity level. Pandas are the most sweet fish and never bother other fish absolutely ZERO aggression and all fun and play. 

I do disagree with the Galaxy rasbora/celestial pearl danio. I keep them. I have kept them in 10-20long and 40. 6 is the number I’ve found best in a 20 long for that species. They are hyperactive and will most likely stress your betta with the non stop high speed activity. 

Here is one group of my pandas in a 20 long so you can see if this is a dynamic you would enjoy. 

Im also including one group of my Galaxies so you can see why the hyperactivity may stress a calmer fish. 

Your tank is lovely. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I would love corydoras but I tried to put pandas in this tank and they all got columnaris and most died. I have eco complete substrate in this tank so I’m not sure corys are a good fit. (I do have pandas in another tank though and I love them!) I like the idea of galaxy rasboras… thanks for the video! I didn’t realize they can be so busy! I like the idea of green neons too but I never see them at my local fish store 🤔

• Like 1

Sorry I'm a little late to the convo but I think Harlequin Rasboras or Chili Rasboras. I ended up getting Harlequin Rasboras purely because there was no Chili Rasboras left. Harlequins are better since they usually cost less where I'm from and they are a little hardy I think.. 

On 11/2/2022 at 2:27 AM, Rita said:

Hey guys! I’m looking to add some new fish to my community aquarium. I currently have 8 ember tetras and a betta (along with a bunch of amano shrimp and various snails) in a planted 20 gal long. I’m looking to add another small community fish but I’d like some opinions on the most peaceful fish you’ve kept.
My ember tetras are the absolute best! They leave my long fin betta alone, no nipping no harassing and they mostly keep to themselves. Anything else similar out there? If all else fails I might just get some more embers since I like them so much!

heres a recent pic of the tank 

1C1C81A7-E4EB-46EF-B243-8509DC687DD4.jpeg

Maybe attempt another nano fish, like chili rasboras, or some mosquito fish.

I would second/third Celestial Pearl Danio/Galaxy Rasboras (although a fish with an alias is a bit sketchy) and Chilli Rasboras. You can have decent size schools in a tank that size, and they are the opposite of fin nippers, plus great color. I'm considering setting up a a nano just for these two species.

On 11/12/2022 at 10:45 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’m hoping that’s the QT tank!

Of course it is! They'll be in here for about a month while I deworm them! The embers are going in the 20 gal long I posted at the top of this thread and the habrosus are going in this 14 gal cube 

IMG_3699.jpeg

The "problem" with adding green neons  is that they make other fish look less flashy. I added them to my kitchen tank and the male endlers who had been the stars of the tank now don't stand out at all. So, once you "go green neon" you may be stuck adding more and more flashy fish forever, lol!

So, I'll vote for male endlers. They are super cute, sporty little fish and bother nobody. They come in lots of colors and have fun behavior, showing off for each other all day and playing tag, but never aggressive. They are too fast for bettas to pose much threat.

I have red chili endlers, french blue star endlers, and mutt endlers and they are super happy fish to watch.