The not so biotope South American biotope

On 10/29/2022 at 6:11 PM, Aiden Carter said:

My South American inspired 40 gal! Note the panda cories on the rocks next to the filter (they have claimed it and it is theirs)1FBA780F-7B4F-4475-98B4-39B89810BAC3.jpeg.3dc6e318c825b0af2aa6ee0543f986f9.jpeg

518AEC9A-E725-4D61-B6A5-A65467CD1818.jpeg

826737B5-FF18-49CE-A165-6AB7951BA5A2.jpeg

CF17C53F-0505-4E1F-9A6C-50A61ED27D7B.jpeg

08D10147-08BF-4C9E-BDF2-2CB577531838.jpeg

629AD01D-326F-4E65-9B9E-EEEF1A0D7306.jpeg

3C2B93E1-B7ED-4B7D-87FD-358D4FD1DAE2.jpeg

Some skrimp eating dying water lettuce because only have 1 light that lights half the tank : ( 

55B37BB8-891D-4568-9AEF-51E9CB4FBEF9.jpeg

image.jpg

If you’re lucky they’ll start breeding!

I think marbled and panda Corydoras are quite easy to breed…

@Anjum

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/29/2022 at 9:37 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

If you’re lucky they’ll start breeding!

I think marbled and panda Corydoras are quite easy to breed…

@Anjum

Mine are paleatus, which I think are sometimes called Peppered Corys. But yes, if I was home to collect the eggs, I'd probably have dozens of babies by now. But mine lay, then eat the eggs all while I'm at work.  I'm taking a 3 day weekend, so hopefully I catch some more! 

Beautiful tank!  @Aiden Carter

• Like 2

On 10/29/2022 at 12:45 PM, Anjum said:

Mine are paleatus, which I think are sometimes called Peppered Corys. But yes, if I was home to collect the eggs, I'd probably have dozens of babies by now. But mine lay, then eat the eggs all while I'm at work.  I'm taking a 3 day weekend, so hopefully I catch some more! 

Beautiful tank!  @Aiden Carter

i havent seen eggs ( even if I did they would get eaten very quickly, especially because I i cant make a 3rd tank)

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 9:46 AM, Aiden Carter said:

i havent seen eggs ( even if I did they would get eaten very quickly, especially because I i cant make a 3rd tank)

Yeah that's the challenge. Even if I could raise up as many fry as these Corys want to produce, I'd run out of room quickly. Oh well, it's fun to get the couple I did get! 

On 11/16/2022 at 3:51 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

Looking good!! Make sure to keep those puppies hot! Ik @Fish Folk has some and knows a lot if you want to check out some of his posts.

yup i have them ~80 (like 1 f lower)

On 11/16/2022 at 3:54 PM, Fish Folk said:

NO BLOOD WORMS! 

so they shouldnt be fed blood worm? (i feed them a variety, vibra bites, freeze dried brine shrimp,a flake, adf sinking pellets, and they seem to love the algae wafers for the shrimp! they dont really like brine shrimp, the flake, and vibra bites)

• Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 4:14 PM, Aiden Carter said:

yup i have them ~80 (like 1 f lower)

so they shouldnt be fed blood worm? (i feed them a variety, vibra bites, freeze dried brine shrimp,a flake, adf sinking pellets, and they seem to love the algae wafers for the shrimp! they dont really like brine shrimp, the flake, and vibra bites)

They’ll eat just about anything. I’ve just found that Blood worms mess up their digestion. They often get sick if fed too much BW.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2022 at 4:24 PM, Aiden Carter said:

like live ones? I was planning on getting some live blackworms next time I go to my lfs, would they be ok?

As long as the black worms are ALIVE. Dead black worms are not good. That will bring them into peak spawning condition. Black worms are amazing…

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/16/2022 at 4:27 PM, Fish Folk said:

As long as the black worms are ALIVE. Dead black worms are not good. That will bring them into peak spawning condition. Black worms are amazing…

ive never heard that the dead ones arent good, is it like "dont eat the closed clams because they were already dead before cooking" and the fish can get sick, or do they release some sort of toxin after death?

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 4:35 PM, Aiden Carter said:

ive never heard that the dead ones arent good, is it like "dont eat the closed clams because they were already dead before cooking" and the fish can get sick, or do they release some sort of toxin after death?

So for clarity: Blood Worms are different than Black Worms.

Black Worms are an excellent source of fatty acids that fish need to develop roe / milt for spawning.

Blood Worms are a different creature altogether. I feed frozen Blood Worms every day to my NANF, but I try to keep my Rams away from them.

I've never fed live _Blood Worms_, only Black Worms.

When Black Worms die, they immediately begin to breakdown. You're just asking for internal gut issues in your fish if you feed them lots of dead worms that haven't been frozen and sterilized (like Hikari, et al does).

Once in awhile I'll order in Black Worms and they're dead. So expensive . . . makes me very upset, because it's basically $50-$100 down the drain.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2022 at 4:40 PM, Fish Folk said:

Black Worms are an excellent source of fatty acids that fish need to develop roe / milt for spawning.

Blood Worms are a different creature altogether. I feed frozen Blood Worms every day to my NANF, but I try to keep my Rams away from them.

When Black Worms die, they immediately begin to breakdown. You're just asking for internal gut issues in your fish if you feed them lots of dead worms that haven't been frozen and sterilized (like Hikari, et al does).

Once in awhile I'll order in Black Worms and they're dead. So expensive . . . makes me very upset, because it's basically $50-$100 down the drain.

yah arent blood worms the larvae of an (aquatic I think) fly

On 11/16/2022 at 4:40 PM, Fish Folk said:

you learn new stuff every day!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 5:22 AM, Aiden Carter said:

So theoretically could I have a centipede knife fish? Current stocking

If you go by filtration, sure. The issue is that you're getting warnings about fish size vs tank size. Sometimes this matters because of aggression, but that's what I like the tool for most. It gives you temp, parameters, and it gives you a good resource to check stocking issues in that capacity.

• Like 2