The not so biotope South American biotope

On 2/13/2023 at 5:15 PM, The endler guy said:

The all mighty @ColuMay I harness some of your infinite wisdom?

With camallanus worms Expel p kill paralyzes the parasite allowing it to be expelled then you want to do a thorough gravel vac to remove eggs and  expelled larvae it can take 4 or 5 treatments with levamisole just remember to black your tank out for 24 HR when treating with levamisole as it's a light sensitive medication 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 9:09 AM, The endler guy said:

Any suggestions on foods to help with recovery? Also is there anyway to kill the worms in the tank after they are expelled from the fish? (As some of the photos show I have a pretty thick layer of leaf bases detritus and I don’t want to clog my python, also I’m sure I’ll miss some in the mulm)

For the bolivians?

Rams are omnivores.  Cichlid veggie (I'll let you find the brand that fits) is going to be what I recommend.  They have various size pellets and just keep an eye on the ingredients packet.  You'd want something with a good source of vitamins / minerals and try to get a pellet that reflects the list about as close to repashy soilent green or repashy bottom scratcher.  Either of those two in various formats would be available. 

Let's say it was my tank.... veggie pellets just about every day, not a ton, but just to have that on offer.  Repashy every 3-4 days.  Some nights I would add in some krill/bug bites types granules (pellets) or feed some frozen foods.

Specifically when dealing with worms and internal parasites. Spirulina brine shrimp is a go-to.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 1:33 PM, The endler guy said:

Poor spooks : ( 

he was passing a large mass of worms yesterday, luckily my expel p from the coop arrived yesterday, only ten packets  so 2 and 1/2 dosages worth, I am getting some fenbendizol meds that should arrive Saturday 

hopefully he can pull through until then

6481D6B7-6112-4FD8-A8D4-F632445890AE.jpeg

Fingers crossed 🤞!

• Like 1

not pertaining to this tank (but this is basically my journal)

but my betta Phil (named after my great aunt who's birthday is the same day we got him) sadly has passed away, water parameters are fine, nothing changed recently, my theory is old age/ poor early life conditions. We got him December 31st 2020 from a petco/smart (yes a cup) and the tank was set up the same day we got him (not my idea my parents got him the same day even though I objected) and he lived a pretty good life (id like to think) he was doing fine up until he passed away. only thing slightly off was that I switched food a couple months ago (from exclusively freeze dried blood worms to a sinking pellet from kens fish food) and he wasnt the best at catching that. 

• Sad 1

On 2/26/2023 at 12:19 PM, The endler guy said:

but my betta Phil (named after my great aunt who's birthday is the same day we got him) sadly has passed away, water parameters are fine, nothing changed recently, my theory is old age/ poor early life conditions. We got him December 31st 2020 from a petco/smart (yes a cup) and the tank was set up the same day we got him (not my idea my parents got him the same day even though I objected) and he lived a pretty good life (id like to think) he was doing fine up until he passed away. only thing slightly off was that I switched food a couple months ago (from exclusively freeze dried blood worms to a sinking pellet from kens fish food) and he wasnt the best at catching that. 

im sorry for your loss,

losing a fish is always hard, but especially something like a betta.

your parents probably wont let, but if you could the tank into a QT, you wouldnt have your current redworm issue...

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 12:30 PM, Theplatymaster said:

im sorry for your loss,

losing a fish is always hard, but especially something like a betta.

your parents probably wont let, but if you could the tank into a QT, you wouldnt have your current redworm issue...

I’m not planning on getting more fish anytime, so a quarantine is kinda pointless 

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

An update, sadly spooky has died, he hadn’t been doing well for the past couple weeks so it is not a surprise 

all of the other fish are acting normal so it may be age related, as he was very big and most likely quite old when I got him

Farewell old friend o7

• Sad 3