The not so biotope South American biotope

On 12/26/2022 at 5:11 PM, flyingcow said:

I have a very happy and healthy Bolivian Ram. I had two males, and lost the submissive one very quickly, but Big Buddy is doing great. Having an unsexed pair is a risk with all dwarf Cichlids. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes you get a jerkface like I did.

The owner of my lfs is very experienced and can sex juvenile gbr in like 2 seconds  I’m sure he can do the same for Bolivian! 

• Like 1

So I was looking in my tank saw that characteristic color of a dead fish, I was like “god who died” moved some leaves out of the way and accidentally touched it, luckily it was just one of my adf resting, got awoken with a boop to her snoot!

Also we finished stocking! Got 2 Bolivians and 12 more embers! Pics when they are finished acclimating 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 5:22 PM, The endler guy said:

help! im sad to say that one of my german blue rams died tonight. I dont really know why. it got bit right above the eye a week ago and I thought it was healing well, but I guess not. It hit me really hard 

ph 7.2

temp 77 (when lights are off and tank lid was open)

I would set temp to 79-80.  Might be dipping too low for em.

On 2/13/2023 at 6:31 AM, Theplatymaster said:

@The endler guyim sorry for your loss, ive heard GBRs can be very personable pets. :classic_sad:

It was sad, but it’s important to learn from your mistakes, for example I learned not to put off symptoms and to make sure you slowly change the water parameters, as well as not changing to much at once

Any suggestions on foods to help with recovery? Also is there anyway to kill the worms in the tank after they are expelled from the fish? (As some of the photos show I have a pretty thick layer of leaf bases detritus and I don’t want to clog my python, also I’m sure I’ll miss some in the mulm)

What I was thinking was that if I continue to dose fritx expel (even when they aren’t in the fishes system) then they will remain paralyzed and will die off due to starvation