Show off your pipsqueaks!

On 11/25/2022 at 10:05 PM, itsfoxtail said:

Pipsqueak flavor of the week on my end are some Panda and Black Cory babes getting moved out to their growout tank.

Oh man. That's an awesome tank. I will have to do research if they crossbreed? I'm assuming  because it's a growout tank is why they are mixed right now.  I need to pick your brain about your black Corydoras!

Are you having success spawning them easily?

My update, the little ones are ALMOST black corydoras. If you don't look to close they are. 🙂

20221128_194052.JPG

20221128_194130.JPG

20221128_194140.JPG

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Love 3

On 11/29/2022 at 6:14 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Oh man. That's an awesome tank. I will have to do research if they crossbreed? I'm assuming  because it's a growout tank is why they are mixed right now.  I need to pick your brain about your black Corydoras!

My update, the little ones are ALMOST black corydoras. If you don't look to close they are. 🙂

20221128_194052.JPG

20221128_194130.JPG

20221128_194140.JPG

I am offishially envious!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Oh, thanks! The tank itself is an eyesore (hence only corner pics) but it does its job and they love the room! They don't to my knowledge cross-breed, but I'm not positive... maybe I should research this. They're only together like you said for grow-out, though, and a few rogue Julii. Feels like Where's Waldo trying to find them lol.

I was thinking the same of you! I'm in the middle of your breeding thread (no spoilers I'm slow and haven't gotten caught up yet 😋). I've had a surprisingly easy time spawning them but it's very sporadic compared to my other corys.

Yours are so cute! Do I spy a little orange brine shrimp tummy?!?! Those are my favorite thing in the world!
They should turn much darker once they get on some substrate. I thought it was strange how light they were and then bam once they have a substrate they color right up!

On 12/1/2022 at 2:09 AM, itsfoxtail said:

Do I spy a little orange brine shrimp tummy?!?! Those are my favorite thing in the world!
They should turn much darker once they get on some substrate. I thought it was strange how light they were and then bam once they have a substrate they color right up!

Nope! Just repashy powders. There is very likely shrimp/krill but I don't have any live foods for them yet 🙂  The last time I got them to spawn the tank was new and just planted, they had eggs and a few fry made it, but all I have is one of the fry on black substrate all colored up. It's funny, having little fry in there and not even seeing them for weeks at a time. Once you do you just spend all day there.

That red /yellow belly is in the adults too. It's like a burnt orange type of red and then their underside is a yellowish grey color. They look like have a tan or something, 😂.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 1:08 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Nope! Just repashy powders. There is very likely shrimp/krill but I don't have any live foods for them yet 🙂  The last time I got them to spawn the tank was new and just planted, they had eggs and a few fry made it, but all I have is one of the fry on black substrate all colored up. It's funny, having little fry in there and not even seeing them for weeks at a time. Once you do you just spend all day there.

That red /yellow belly is in the adults too. It's like a burnt orange type of red and then their underside is a yellowish grey color. They look like have a tan or something, 😂.

Weird! Mine did their biggest spawning session right after they were added to the tank, freshly planted, too! I wonder if it sort of plays into the "rain/cool water change" method of spawning them just moving them to someplace new... I wonder if moving them between two tanks would have the same effect. Although I'm not sure I would have the stamina to keep catching them they're so fast, lol!  

It is wild how well fry hide. I am just flabbergasted every time I look at one fly into some thick plants not to be seen for another week or two just like "a day ago you were attached to an egg". Nature is insane. 

I keep swearing I'll go find a little roll-y chair that I can use just to look for eggs/fry after I've spotted a rogue one since I obligatorily, like you said, must watch the tank for the rest of the day.

😂 I hadn't seen it as a tan until you said that. Now I can't unsee it. Only the females have that color variation in my little herd, the males stay pretty much all dark. For some reason they remind me of tug-boats with that coloring and I can't honestly tell you why. 

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

@Anjum Oh that is so sweet!  I have the same corys. The ones I want to breed are long and high finned.

I put mine on black sand for substrate. They have turned very dark. It is very hard to see them if they don't move. I didn't know they would change color to match. I picked the black so their silver areas would contrast.

• Like 1

While doing a water change for my platy tank I spotted a little baby!!! After a thorough search I have 2. How I have no idea- I read platies are pregnant about 30 days. I have had my female's much longer than that, and the males much less! Maybe they've been in there awhile? They are pretty tiny, but this is my 1st time with platy fry. They are adorable! Can't wait to see how they turn out since I have 3 different colors. After getting them out of the tank, I set up the net breeder with some plants for them and gave them some fry food. I'm late getting to bed now, but super excited to have these new little babies! 🥰

20230105_215151.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 1/5/2023 at 10:32 PM, smm333 said:

While doing a water change for my platy tank I spotted a little baby!!! After a thorough search I have 2. How I have no idea- I read platies are pregnant about 30 days. I have had my female's much longer than that, and the males much less! Maybe they've been in there awhile? They are pretty tiny, but this is my 1st time with platy fry. They are adorable! Can't wait to see how they turn out since I have 3 different colors. After getting them out of the tank, I set up the net breeder with some plants for them and gave them some fry food. I'm late getting to bed now, but super excited to have these new little babies! 🥰

20230105_215151.jpg

Guess my search wasn't so thorough after all- found 2 more today! So I now have 4 babies. I love them already, lol! 💗🐟🐟🐟🐟💗

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...