Show off your pipsqueaks!

On 10/25/2022 at 6:35 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

You can supplement with calcium to help its shell. Crab cuisine or banquet blocks are food sources with calcium. Or you could put a chunk of cuttlebone or wondershell in the tank.

Congrats!!  A very active little one too!

You can always move the eggs to a breeder box with a turkey baster. Use one with a lid so the snails don’t get in. 

Thanks. I use egg shell which I grind up (for extra calcium).  The shrimp also get Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, so snail likely eating that as well.  He is getting on, however.  He's getting close to 1.5 years old.  I had two, which I purchased at the same time. The other sadly passed away in August.  I also have 2 Nerites and their shells are doing fine, which makes me think it's more about age.  My water is also on the hard side.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 7:47 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

How much bigger will they get before I need to attach them to something else?

I wait for them to get a few good roots before detaching. Usually when they are about the size of a quarter. Sometimes after detaching I will just let them float around until I have more plant to work with (attach).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 6:47 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

These are my "pup"squeaks.  (I used to have airplants before my cats destroyed them. They are epiphytes, like java fern, and their offspring are called pups! Im gonna try to popularize pup usage for java ferns 😁)

20221026_103433.jpg.5acc542fef804f4b1c57a64df62564be.jpg

How much bigger will they get before I need to attach them to something else?

I had some Java fern leaves that were pretty dead but were also pretty covered with baby fernlets. I just glued them directly to the piece of wood. They may come loose as the dead, brown leaf keeps rotting but I’m hoping that the tiny ferns will dig into and hold onto the wood piece since it’s got some surface softening and thin layer of biofilm happening.

I spent a couple hours gluing various tiny to small fernlets onto wood the other day. Was so tired of dealing with baby ferns that I never even took any pics!  But the wood pieces should look fantastic as the ferns grow!  Nice and dense growth, I hope.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:41 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I wait for them to get a few good roots before detaching. Usually when they are about the size of a quarter. Sometimes after detaching I will just let them float around until I have more plant to work with (attach).

I do exactly this. But I had a bunch more tiny fernlets floating around than I realized and had to do something about them. 😆 

Fern gluing marathon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have some photos from this summer when I was raising my first ever batch of pearl medaka fry! ☺️

IMG_20220621_184408211.jpg.f2209be8bc8febfed1848efcaafaf236.jpg

The very first baby I hatched, back in June.

IMG_20220714_162552753.jpg.ac19c157bf93d060d4390a144e53ea45.jpg

Teeny fry in their grow out pond.

IMG_20220908_173850777.jpg.40f3b01175f2cc4f3a0c6d368289c6d3.jpg

Some juveniles moving in to the pond with their parents.

These fry were so fun and easy to raise and I can't wait to raise more next summer! 😁 Hopefully I'll have better luck finding homes for them.

• Love 5

On 10/27/2022 at 3:28 PM, DaveO said:

Do your chilis really look this good?

Yeah there’s no filter or increase in vibrance/saturation here - this is really how they look!  I’ve had them maybe a year and a half. They only got this colorful after I moved them to this tank (maybe 4 months after I got them).  The tank has a sponge filter and a lot of plants, including floating ones. They never hide. There are about 13 in that 7.5 gallon and there aren’t any bigger fish with them. I think they just feel comfy. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 2:49 PM, Jess said:

Yeah there’s no filter or increase in vibrance/saturation here - this is really how they look!  I’ve had them maybe a year and a half. They only got this colorful after I moved them to this tank (maybe 4 months after I got them).  The tank has a sponge filter and a lot of plants, including floating ones. They never hide. There are about 13 in that 7.5 gallon and there aren’t any bigger fish with them. I think they just feel comfy. 

Very impressive. Mine are just juvies, so maybe there is still hope.

On 10/27/2022 at 9:00 PM, dangerflower said:

your photo has definitely convinced me!

I’m glad!! I think they are perfect for a nano fish tank. Probably the bigger the tank, the more you need for them to feel safe. I found that the more the plants grew in (that is, the less empty space there was) the more colorful they got. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The mini Bolbitis I got about a month ago started throwing pipsqueaks!  It wasn't doing too much till now.

I'm super excited because I loved the way it looked when I first got it, and if it recovers, it will be my favorite plant!

20221114_184141.jpg.c3e23c812b21b02d3f0032031bc5ef46.jpg

Those pup roots look pretty good.  I may cut them off in a couple days and glue them to another rock.

• Like 2

@nabokovfan87 - time to join this thread! 😊

On 11/14/2022 at 11:40 PM, Rita said:

Ember tetra fry... not sure how I even managed to spot this little translucent pipsqueak. I'm not trying to breed them but I have a bunch of plants so I get a new fry every few months that finds a way to survive!

IMG_0253.jpeg

It must have been a feat to get a photo to focus. Ember tetra are small to begin with!

• Like 2