What’s your “Someday!” Fish?

Fish Folk

For me right now it is the Hawaiian cleaner wrasse (Labroides phthirophagus).  That is, of course, assuming I'll still be able to get a hold of the species when I have the experience under my belt to try to breed them.  I wouldn't get them until I think I might be able to breed them.  There are a few records of folks successfully breeding this species - so I have reason to believe with enough experience I could succeed.  Anyhow, that's the dream right now.

https://www.ryanphotographic.com/images/JPEGS/Labroides%20phthirophagus,%20Hawaiian%20cleaner%20wrasse,%20Kona,%20Hawaii-6310.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Black Rice Fish in some sort of an outdoor or indoor pond style setup for me.

There's so many fish I wish I could keep but the ones I really "someday" want are things I fully expect to happen it's just a question of when and how.  The other big one for me is green lasers and some plecos.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The 60 gallon and stocking list is my more immediate “someday,” but I’m not ready to reveal those. 

Agree with @Patrick_Ga koi or goldfish pond is in my future. The Seattle area it just feels like sitting on my covered deck, watching the rain and my pond with a cup of coffee ️ this dream must be realized. 

schoutedeni  puffers - every time I watch a @Preston Johnvideo I want to take on the challenge. I don’t think I am there yet presently. Maybe when I do my 125 I could do a Congo setup with different Congo tetras, puffers, rope fish, etc. However, I have one red eye red tail puffer left and I feel like I need to know it my energy into a breeding tank for him. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 10/22/2022 at 5:38 PM, Anjum said:

N-class Endlers

I have those, and if you are into live bearers, they are pretty neat!  Just bundles of energy.  I was lucky and was able to get a good lineage where I can trace all the hands they passed through back to collection.  I think knowing that makes them more interesting.  Well, to a nerd like me anyhow.  🤓

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I have those, and if you are into live bearers, they are pretty neat!  Just bundles of energy.  I was lucky and was able to get a good lineage where I can trace all the hands they passed through back to collection.  I think knowing that makes them more interesting.  Well, to a nerd like me anyhow.  🤓

Y'know, I never cared much about guppies, before I had them. Then I ended up with 3 male "rescue" guppies & found that they're actually pretty fun fish, very active. I had kinda heard of Endler "guppies", so as I came across more info on them & eventually learned about the classes, I was hooked when I learned about N-class. It just intrigues me to keep alive the pure lineage since the hybrids are so prevalent, even being found in the wild. 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 10:24 PM, Schuyler said:

Eggersi Killifish 

I think they would be cool to have but that short lifespan and the long wait time for eggs to hatch make me want to wait until I'm confident enough to breed them so that I can have new ones ready before the adults die off 

PXL_20221020_191144473.jpg

I'm working with Nothobranchiu guentheri, and Nothobranchius rachovii biera 98 -- both annuals. Got a journal I keep on the forum here

• Like 1

I have a long list of 'someday' fish but the ones at the top for me would be indostomus crocodilus/crocodile toothpicks (or one of the other almost identical indostomus species), elassoma okefenokee/okefenokee pygmy sunfish to keep in a pond (are these illegal to export from the US? or maybe they are illegal to import to the UK or something because I can't find them anywhere). 

But my main one is biotoecus opercularis (or the very similar biotoecus dicentrarchus) which seem to be difficult to find in the UK and don't even have a common name - hard to say why I love these so much by all accounts they aren't hugely colourful and probably more difficult to keep than anything I'd usually consider but been in love with them since I first discovered them online. I have a couple LFSs on the lookout for me for if they become available from their wholesalers but no joy yet. Pic for prosperity: 

Biotoecus-opercularis-rio-Negro-male-1.jpg.e2cfd5e29114a7e06795f480e32fa2e1.jpg

So cute!

• Like 4

I've been very lucky that in the past year or so a few of my "someday" fish unexpectedly turned into "soon" fish. (And some even turned into "right now" fish!)

Someday fish: GBR or Bolivian Rams, Geophagus, Nannacara, Licorice gourami, paradise fish, killifish, shiners, gobies. I nearly bought some black paradise fish this summer, but decided to hold out for the more colorful ones (since I already have black mollies). Now I've got a pearl gourami again so those will have to wait!

Soon fish: Variatus, cherry shrimp, sw gobies, clownfish(!). I'm preparing to shuffle my 4 tanks down to 3 again in time for the new year, but hopefully having the pond ready for next spring will allow some more flexibility in stocking.

Paradise_fish_female_and_male_02.jpg

(Not my pic/fish, paradise fish image from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_fish)

Edited by drewzero1
  • Like 2