On 11/12/2022 at 4:07 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Boots? What are those ? 😆is it like a flip flop but a different shape or something?

Yes not all of us live in the tropical climates. We have two seasons hot and freezing. And alot of times in the same day! 😆

• Haha 2

So finally a chance to sit down after a long day of running and errands. Miss Luna is already adjusting nicely. She is exploring all areas of the tank. Especially the food dish lol 🐷 @Guppysnail said she is a pig not me.  

Going to get the new cave and a second food dish out in tomorrow when I do water change and plant thinning.

So what are you doing on a Saturday night? Me? Just boiling some wood.

IMG_20221112_184817547.jpg

IMG_20221112_184512286.jpg

IMG_20221112_185900515.jpg

Happy  Sunday everyone. It's water change day of course. And time to do a small bit of tank arrangement. 

I got the new piece of mopani wood all boiled out and ready to go in. I decided to take the fake rock cave out of the right front corner of the tank to make room for the new wood second pleco cave for Luna or lemony. There still not really old enough to care about caves I just like to be ready when the time comes   I removed the nana petite I had glued to the cave and put it in a small piece of slate rock. 

Thind out some duckweed of course then took out the water for change. At that point I got the new wood cave and second food dish in place. It was time for root tabs as well so those went in. Thinned out some guppy grass then refilled the tank. Tucked a couple Java ferns in around the new wood and slide the cave in behind.

I was never a fan of that cave I just never took it out because of the nana petite on it. So I'm glad I had a reason to need to take it out. Included are some pics from today.

IMG_20221113_101141008.jpg

IMG_20221113_105148289.jpg

IMG_20221113_105158251.jpg

IMG_20221113_105601713.jpg

IMG_20221113_105706841.jpg

IMG_20221113_105712105.jpg

IMG_20221113_110046678.jpg

IMG_20221113_110333761.jpg

• Love 1

On 11/6/2022 at 11:09 AM, Minanora said:

Finally caught up as well. I love it! Where did you get your new plants from? The ones that came in the bags with water? Local shop? 

Excited about your clutch! I bet you have great success this time around.

How did I just see this post lol. Those new plants I got are from bobs fish room out of pa. 

Just finished up with the water change in the Cory tank. It's been about a month since I started to slowly lower the temp in there tank. I only go 1 degree at a time. So after water change I reset there thermostat to 74 degrees instead of 75. The water I added was 73 degrees for a bit of a cool water change. The turkeys keep uprooting the crypt spiral so I had to replant again lol. The two small cryps in the front are doing good. They didn't really melt back so I am pleased. As a treat they got a root tab 😆 the new pics are a bit messy but hey it's water change day lol

IMG_20221113_134100230.jpg

IMG_20221113_134105635.jpg

• Like 1

So now that we have the tank all set up for the new love birds I treated them to some green beans. One in each dish to see how they reacted. Within 5 mins of adding them to there feeding dishes they both we out for some late lunch early dinner.

The started off each in there own dish. Then after a min or 2 lemony came over to see what Luna had. At first he shewed her away a couple times. But she was not having it and they started eating together. I'm very happy with this since she has only been in the tank less than 30 hours.

We (myself and @Guppysnail) were thinking. How long is a fishies memory? They both lived in the same tank for a little while when she still had them both. Is it possible that they remember each other 🤔

https://youtube.com/shorts/NWMqOmBdSfA?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/h3AVOoAqeQU?feature=share

IMG_20221113_144559372.jpg

IMG_20221113_142344292.jpg

IMG_20221113_144616373.jpg

• Love 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:36 PM, Jennifer V said:

What a fun read! I'm new to shrimp myself. I've only had mine for six months but I adore them. Congrats! You have an amazing setup! 

Thankyou it has been a very rewarding experience so far. My population is growing very nicely. I think by new years I'll be able to slowly start to add some to my other tanks to help as an extra clean up crew. It's has went very smooth with very minimal setbacks 

• Love 1

On 11/13/2022 at 4:43 PM, TeeJay said:

Thankyou it has been a very rewarding experience so far. My population is growing very nicely. I think by new years I'll be able to slowly start to add some to my other tanks to help as an extra clean up crew. It's has went very smooth with very minimal setbacks 

I'm thinking of adding some to my other tank because I have so many now. What's the best way to catch and transfer them? 

On 11/13/2022 at 6:48 PM, Jennifer V said:

I'm thinking of adding some to my other tank because I have so many now. What's the best way to catch and transfer them? 

I like to use the round shrimp nets that hold there shape in the tank. Much easier to wrangle them up.  Sometimes a little shrimp food stick and wait until there eating you can get them into the net easier. Sometimes lol. Slow movement of the net also helps. Not just moving it around all sporadically

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning all how about a little coffee with TeeJay shall we? Now that the dust has settled and the tank is done with water change and guppy grass has settle where it wants to be here is a pic of what it looks like this morning. And the second pic I thought I discovered a giant ramshorn! But it was just midnight at the right angle 😂 waiting for some air line connectors to come in today to make some diy floating plant rings. Day 3 off in a row I'm pretty sure my boss is setting me up for something 🤔😮

IMG_20221114_061132770.jpg

IMG_20221114_065829779.jpg

IMG_20221114_065331017.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So this morning all the snails took over the green beans. So we are trying red peppers and zucchini for lemony and Luna today. As well got a good pic of them together. Enjoying the 3 days off from work in a row. Don't wanna go back tomorrow lol. They both have sampled each veggie. They will be back for more lol

IMG_20221113_165047499.jpg

IMG_20221114_104019036.jpg

• Love 1

I was just looking back thru this journal from a couple of months ago when I first got the killi fish. I thought the tank looked pretty good then. But when I compare it to how it is now I'm amazed how far it has come along. Especially that Amazon sword in the back middle of the tank. 

It has been set up for about 9 months total and has went thru a few different looks. But for a first time plant keeper I think I have found a good balance of light and nutrients. And it was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

So if your someone that is on the fence about trying love plants for the first time. Don't fear just do it lol. All of the plants I have tried have seemed to work pretty good with the exception of Anubias barteri. Any other Anubias variant I have tried works fine. Maybe one day I'll find the secret to succeed with those as well.

Screenshot_20221114-102953.png

IMG_20221114_143113547.jpg

• Love 2

On 11/14/2022 at 3:36 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My big leafed anubias are green algae magnets. The small anubias (nana) don’t have the issue.

Yes I had a bit of an alge problem in the smaller Anubias in the Cory tank. I think the combination of filtering the light on the side of the tank where they are and seachem excel did the trick.

• Like 1

Finally got my air line connectors. So tonight after a repashy dinner I made a couple of floating plant rings for the shrimp tank. You know the deal with duckweed. No matter how much you take out more will be back tomorrow. But I don't mind. It really keeps the tank balanced. And noticed a few more shrimp berried so the colony is on the uprise big time 😃. I think by Christmas I'll be able to start putting some shrimp into my other tanks.

IMG_20221116_182800403.jpg

• Like 3

Well tomorrow will make a week since we added Miss Luna to the killi tank. She has moved in well and made herself right at home. Her favs are green beans zucchini and repashy. Sometimes I will see her and lemony munching around together here and there. 

IMG_20221118_193309604.jpg

IMG_20221118_193037817.jpg

IMG_20221118_191857300.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1