On 9/29/2022 at 8:19 AM, Guppysnail said:

Soon to be shrimpy grandpappy 🎉🍾

Until you see some things for yourself it is often confusing.  

Yes now that I have seen it, it's very easy to tell she is berried and not just saddled. Hope to see more berried soon.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 8:47 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

…so what IS the difference between saddled and berried?

Saddles is where they carry the unfertilized eggs twords the top of there body. Berried is fertilized and drops down to there lower abdomen.

• Like 2

Good morning welcome to coffee with TeeJay! This mornings episode we are at the Cory tank. Since I have to work later today I figured I would give the corys a treat this morning since they won't be eating tonight. So we pulled a new food out of our sampler pack from @Guppysnail. I went with the oceans nutrition wafers. Less than a min after I dropped a couple into the tank they found them and went crazy for them. Johnny and June decided to get in on the action too!. So it looks like we found another hit.

https://youtube.com/shorts/AuY9jsA6ntU?feature=share

• Like 3

I’m so glad your kids like them. Mine did not. I tried a few times and had to remove the leftovers. I now use them as worm food. I guess mine are just snobby 🤣. I read the label and heard others say these were good that’s why I had gotten them. 

Leftover jar into next box 🤣

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m so glad your kids like them. Mine did not. I tried a few times and had to remove the leftovers. I now use them as worm food. I guess mine are just snobby 🤣. I read the label and heard others say these were good that’s why I had gotten them. 

Leftover jar into next box 🤣

Yes they went right for them so something must have tickled there fancy lol. Woohoo I love getting packages.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 5:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

Yeah, mine only like certain ones too. Some they just flat out ignore.  Pure spirulina they like, so I usually try to get one that has a good amount of that. Repashy is "easier" to do that with but just not as easy for them to eat I guess.

Hikari they like, the old sera ones they like. New ones not so much. The ones I got from Xtreme they didn't like either. A few others I've tried similar results.

• Confused 1

Good morning all. Welcome to coffee with TeeJay. This morning we are try out another new food from our sample pack. This time it's the aquatic blend catfish sticks/pellets. I believe we have another hit because everyone is in a dogpile in the food dish. So far so good for all of the new foods we have tried. I guess @Guppysnailkids are just "picky" eaters 🤫🤣. And don't forget in a few more days we will have some new suprises coming in for the Cory tank 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

So yesterday I got some metal air vales to use for my diy brine shrimp hatchery. I just used a Sterlite shoebox container and cut two holes in the top lid. The air pump stays self contained in the box with just the air line and power cord coming out. The second hole is where the 2 liter bottle sits.

I drilled a small hole in the cap of the two liter and threaded in the valve. Then put just a touch of tank silicone around it to stop drips when water is in it. Then attach a couple of inches of air line to the valve for easy dispersion when time to feed.this way I can use it to hatch then when not in use all the components can go inside the container for next hatch.

IMG_20221001_164347634.jpg

IMG_20221002_095745193.jpg

IMG_20221002_134718499.jpg

IMG_20221002_134726260.jpg

IMG_20221002_134419731.jpg

• Love 2

Just finished up with the weekly water change on the Cory tank. Trimmed up the red flame sword in the pot. You can see all the new growth in the base of the pot since I planted it in the pot about a month ago with a root tab. If it keeps doing good it should be a thick beefy sword. I have noticed as well the Anubias on the wood has much less hair alge on it since I added a floating water sprite on that side and frogbit to filter the light. It's a finnex stingray so it puts out quite a bit for a ten gallon. If I start to notice the hair alge develop on the sword again I'll put a bit of electrical tape here and there on the light to help filter the brightness. So we are all set for the new suprises coming for this tank about mid week!

IMG_20221002_143802432.jpg

IMG_20221002_143954437.jpg

IMG_20221002_144245147.jpg

• Love 1

Just checked on the shrimp sanctuary. Shrimp being pretty active today. I haven't seen miss berried today. I'm sure she is off hiding somewhere preparing for the new shrimpletts. I'm not sure how long she has been berried. So I'm not quite sure on when she will have them. I noticed her being berries a few days ago so it's a guessing game at this point.

I scooped out a bit of frogbit to let some more light in and thinned out the hornwort yet again 🤣

All the water parameters are excellent. I have yet to really do a water change on there tank. It says very stable. I have no doubt letting it season for a few months definitely went a long way. I put one of the new lotus pods in the tank to float so it can have time to get waterlogged and sink 

We are all ready for some new suprises coming in for the tank mid next week. And if it works out properly the new stuff should arrive on Wednesday my day off!

IMG_20221002_145219366.jpg

• Love 1

Just got a few videos of miss berried shrimp. Seemed like she was doing something I have never seen before. Like she was trying to release her babies. I'm not sure what I'm looking for but I found it to be most interesting. Like she is getting ready to release.

https://youtu.be/Oyr_7GdbIGY

https://youtu.be/97yq-lFQ3W8

https://youtu.be/7cKNLDHF_8g

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/2/2022 at 6:41 PM, Guppysnail said:

She is fanning her eggs so they don’t fungus. If she is a first time mom she is likely to drop a few. Here is one of my first time moms. 

Ah ok that makes sense. Now that I see what yours is doing she is just trying to hold onto all of them. I didn't realize they are inside of her yet outside of her. I'm sure that is very stressful trying to juggle all of those eggs and still eat and live lol. 

• Like 2

Came home from work tonight and got the  diy hatchery set up. I just wanted to give some extra time for the silicone to dry around the valve in the cap of the 2 liter. I already had a 2 liter of water with salt already in it. As well as a teeny amount of baking soda. I probably got to many eggs in this batch but we will see. They should be ready to harvest on my day off on Wednesday. 

As well I got some brine shrimp nets to make life easier than a coffee filter 🤣.   Tonight I gave the  killis an new food to try. The royal guppy micro pellets. They did ok with it but I don't think they cared much for them. Luckily the Cory's at the bottom of the tank went on the search for them so I'm not to concerned. 

I'm definitely noticing the females are getting nice and full so it shouldn't be to much longer until we start seeing some fry.

Mr Platy and miss guppy still pay no mind to the killis. So I think things we be ok with them in the tank. They are always well fed so I'm not to concerned that they will get to the fry and eat them before they have a chance to grow.

IMG_20221003_190248263.jpg

• Like 2

When I first switched them to floaters they did that. It took them a solid 6-8 weeks before I noticed a real change. There stems get thicker and stronger. There leaves get broader and flatter. They look like a new kind of plant once they really get going 

On 10/3/2022 at 9:45 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Is all that floating water sprite? Mine is tan on the edges too but it seems to be growing. Also all of the snails love the floating water sprite and they are always in it. Even Hampshire the nerite.

No about half is . The rest is guppy grass

• Like 1

Welcome to coffee with TeeJay. This morning we are checking in the shrimp sanctuary. They seem to like lotus pods so far. It's still floating and hasn't got water logged enough to sink yet. But I find a couple hanging on the underside of it. 🤗 As well as a rare pic of one free swimming. Enjoy.

IMG_20221004_072037571.jpg

IMG_20221004_072132991.jpg

IMG_20221004_072149800.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Later morning edition of coffee with TeeJay. The moment you have been waiting for has arrived. Today we welcome some new red shrimp friends to the sanctuary. They are acclimating right now in a breeder box with air. 16 total new friends. They all are doing very well. Very active and a nice red color already. They have been in the box for about 45 mins. Maybe another 30-45 mins then they will go into there new home.

IMG_20221005_092848779.jpg

IMG_20221005_091329380.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3