Aquarium Kits For Beginners (Pros & Cons)

FLFishChik

So I just purchased a Top Fin Aquarium Kit (my 3rd), since I’m needing to move my Betta from the Community tank to his own. I thought it might be a good idea to share with beginners (or those who may never have bought an All-in-one kit before) what comes in them and what some of the Pros and Cons are. I purchased the 5g kit on sale ($44.99)4F97E1F2-91CE-4D30-B09A-C5FDBE0E6459.jpeg.e5ecb3f5c61bfd142adeac58b19d6928.jpeg

It’s a typical rimmed 5 gallon glass tank that includes Tank (obviously), hood with light, HOB filter, thermometer, net, and a small plastic vial for collecting water sample.EFC0DD80-A08C-4203-8D35-9F5235EFBAC7.jpeg.1f142f764831506cf88c5f2782a922d6.jpeg1DDD9DE6-96C9-4695-B29E-514B5E5493C8.jpeg.f12133376e01d213fdfa9edb593a8db9.jpeg3CC1AE09-C477-4E13-B94E-DA5D450881E5.jpeg.ca75ce22896deb8463e71dde23bbdb61.jpeg4384AED4-4FE9-447F-B1DA-7354DA0EB9A2.jpeg.501ca6dff8ac7afba9c7d80bfd62c8db.jpeg232776C2-E01F-445B-9F67-29BA7D241E8F.jpeg.0f3d0dbbc19ea75f5d9cde0c75040373.jpeg0EF971F2-E5D7-4EBE-A592-1A22D5184E73.jpeg.0357d0a546ee8e71493a8b01ef5f3149.jpeg32ADD3A8-F453-494B-8C81-5D8085A12DEB.jpeg.27bc0ef88202cd37e3d707cb8f73fb05.jpeg

It did not include substrate or heater which I purchased separately (substrate $7.99 for 5lb bag and pre-set heater $10.99 for 100 watt).905D33B7-F79C-4EEF-99E7-97489E21DF48.jpeg.47d1eea9a39fab08a9e3173f8713072d.jpegD65A87FC-F590-4D31-B92F-47E9245A5B15.jpeg.334532bda866ee4c70c6368830aa918b.jpeg

The air pump, tubing and air stone I already had in hand. So, total spent on tank was $65. 00 (rounded to the nearest with taxes). If we count the air pump and air stone it’s roughly $75.00 ( air pump was $5.00 from big box store included air tubing and air stone 3ct pk was $3.00 and a silk plant $4ish)

now, the Pros:

1) it comes with “mostly” all the important things. It’s a solid deal if you’re looking for a “one and done” tank for you, your kids or grandkids. If you’re keeping cold water fish, you won’t need a heater anyway.  It’s a basic set up. Nothing fancy. 

2) the lid fits snuggly and there’s just enough space for the HOB filter to fit. There’s also a small door in the lid for feeding.

3) the lights are bright. They do a good job at illuminating the tank.

4) it’s inexpensive (relatively speaking), than purchasing each component individually… and if you are brand spanking new to fish keeping, it makes it a lot less overwhelming. Everything (for the most part) has been put together in a tidy little package for you. No guess work.

Now, the Cons:

1) the hood isn’t hinged, so when you are doing any substantial maintenance, the lid must be removed completely. On a small 5g or 20g, that’s not really a big deal.. but on the bigger tanks (like my 29g) it’s kind of a pain.

2) the filter is… okay. It’s not spectacular but, it gets the job done. It comes with a carbon filter… that’s it. You’ll probably want to purchase some filter media and sponges to “soup it up”… and create more areas for beneficial bacteria to live. I purchased both on Amazon for under $5.

3)if you are going with silk or plastic plants then the lights are sufficient to light the tank but, if you are planning to have a planted tank, you’ll be limited to low-light plants. It’s not sufficient to grow high-light plants (and possibly not medium light plants- depending how much natural light the tank gets).

4) the 5g doesn’t come with a heater (though the Top Fin 10g and bigger do include the heater). Which is ok- not all fish require one. But, if you are planning on keeping a fish that requires warmer water than the ambient temperature of the room it will be in, you need one.

5) you’ll need to purchase substrate, decorations, testing supplies, water conditioner and bottled bacteria or food separately. Those add up quickly if you don’t already have them in hand (but once you do…they last a good while and can be used between multiple tanks).

My very first aquarium kit purchase was this same tank 2 years ago. I also have a 29g and both have been great so far. Heater is still going. Filter still works, and the lights are still going strong. Tank is sturdy. I’ve no real complaints and I’ll more than likely buy more for any tank 55g and less. They are comfortable for me and I don’t have chase down and purchase individual pieces.

So, if your new to the hobby and feeling intimidated and overwhelmed by all the “stuff” you have to purchase for a tank, then I think (personally) the kits are worth it and a decent deal.

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 9

I will say my experiences with 2 different kits was very different from each other. The first one I got was aqueon 29 gal and 2nd was top fin 20 gal. Both were on sale and great deals. The difference in experiences was with the equipment. I still use the aqueon filter and heater now almost a year later whereas I threw out the top fin filter in about 2 months. The tanks themselves are fine but that part is hard to mess up. 

• Like 5

This is my favorite kit, it’s often on sale for about half off. Ours was about $45.

It’s 6.8 gallons so it’s plenty big for a Betta or some nano fish. It has a really decent light but the best thing about it is the filter. It’s an all in one rear sump type that comes with two large pieces of coarse foam and a large middle chamber for whatever extra media you want to add. 
CDCC4571-3587-4498-81F3-14621FFEAE9F.jpeg.7befc89467bfd5f11457e7a4d09e548f.jpeg

D488F9F7-7A0C-414A-B26C-6FEFFD796BAA.jpeg

045EC74B-4020-4253-9573-3F3EA525EE13.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

On 8/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I will say my experiences with 2 different kits was very different from each other. The first one I got was aqueon 29 gal and 2nd was top fin 20 gal. Both were on sale and great deals. The difference in experiences was with the equipment. I still use the aqueon filter and heater now almost a year later whereas I threw out the top fin filter in about 2 months. The tanks themselves are fine but that part is hard to mess up. 

I don't have an experience with the Aqueon kits  - all 3 of mine are Top Fin... so far they've done a good job - no issues with the filters , though I did replace the heater that came with the 29g with the ACO heater. But all else works great!. Maybe I will give Aqueon a try with the next one.. they are just a little pricier than the TF brand

• Like 1

I have two fluval complete kit tanks, my 240l (approx 60 US gal) came with a 307 canister pipework some tetra water conditioner (got to be the worst value dechlorinator on the market) and some kinda quick start also tetra. It also had good tube lighting built into the lid (now replaced with led "tubes"). It was about £300 10 years ago.

Same kit now comes with blue tooth led lighting for £450. 

I think that kit takes a lot of stress out of larger tanks.

I would advocate a kit for anyone starting you can adjust later but they generally set you up for a good start.

Love that your kit had a real thermometer, mine came with a stick on thing .

My other kit is a fluval chi love it light could be stronger but it's a great nano tank that really holds its cycle well

Edited by Flumpweesel
Missed a bit
  • Like 3

On 8/25/2022 at 6:53 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I have two fluval complete kit tanks, my 240l (approx 60 US gal) came with a 307 canister pipework some tetra water conditioner (got to be the worst value dechlorinator on the market) and some kinda quick start also tetra. It also had good tube lighting built into the lid (now replaced with led "tubes"). It was about £300 10 years ago.

Same kit now comes with blue tooth led lighting for £450. 

I think that kit takes a lot of stress out of larger tanks.

I would advocate a kit for anyone starting you can adjust later but they generally set you up for a good start.

Love that your kit had a real thermometer, mine came with a stick on thing .

My other kit is a fluval chi love it light could be stronger but it's a great nano tank that really holds its cycle well

I've seen Fluval Chi tank at my local petco for $65. I've also seen a 14g Aqueon rimless on sale for $30.. but I'll admit... rimless tanks intimidate me... and I am OCD about seeing the water line ( I know it's silly).. also... lids... I need lids. we run the ac and fans here in FL, evaporation is a struggle.

• Like 2

I actually grabbed 4 of those 10gal kits ot too far back. The worst part is by far the hood. Not having large enough access to do general maintenance really gets annoying. The other less than desirable part is the heater, it is too large, physically, to fit i to the tank without wither the entire knob catching on the hood,  especially if you put any decent amount of substrate in. Surprisingly, I did price out the difference in buying each part and even at full price at petsmart, you save about 30 to 60 bucks on the 10gal kits. 

The default lights are good enough for Java ferns, anubius, and hornworts at least, just don't get crazy. 

• Like 3

I was thinking about getting one of these kits when I have enough space to upgrade my betta to a ten gallon. I haven't always read good things about the Top Fin brand, though. I'd love to know which tank brands you all suggest, especially ones that come with kits like these 💙 I'm seeing Aqueon, Marineland, and Fluval, which one do you all think would be best?

On 8/27/2022 at 8:28 AM, Atitagain said:

@CrashBandit05 @saphbettas @Beardedbillygoat1975 I just got and set up a Fluval flex 9G. I have to say I’m very  impressed now looking to get the 15G ( MTS is for real) I’ve always liked marineland the best, now that I’m into nano tanks as well these flex are amazing. Love being able to hide the heater in the back filter chamber.

They are impressive, but currently not in my budget. Maybe one day!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 4:57 PM, Patrick_G said:

This is my favorite kit, it’s often on sale for about half off. Ours was about $45.

It’s 6.8 gallons so it’s plenty big for a Betta or some nano fish. It has a really decent light but the best thing about it is the filter. It’s an all in one rear sump type that comes with two large pieces of coarse foam and a large middle chamber for whatever extra media you want to add. 
CDCC4571-3587-4498-81F3-14621FFEAE9F.jpeg.7befc89467bfd5f11457e7a4d09e548f.jpeg

D488F9F7-7A0C-414A-B26C-6FEFFD796BAA.jpeg

045EC74B-4020-4253-9573-3F3EA525EE13.jpeg

Don't take this wrong but other than shrimp and betta these sort of tanks should be outlawed. More precisely if you know what you are buying that's fine but if you have no experience and see something like this you would generally be making a mistake buying it. The issue is that a cube has way too little swimming room for most fishes. Having said that next year i will setup not one but TWO cube but my cubes will be 48x48 (inches) 😉

--

Going further i'm not a fan of the kits for most of the fishes I would keep. First the substrate is too coarse for most dwarf cichild or cory; the light is probably ok for a shallow 5 but as the tank height increase they become more questionable. The filter - for anything smaller than ~100 gallons i'm going to use sponges. There are some reason to use a decent hob or canister filter but then it depends on stocking. Some fishes love current and other can't stand it. 

-

I guess it depends what you want and the type of fish. For 99% of the person new to the hobby that just wants a betta these are probably great but  if they decide later they want some tetra or what have you they will discover (or worse not discover) the fundamental issues with these small cubes.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 11:42 AM, Hobbit said:

Nice review! Just a note—I use a 100w heater in my 55 gallon tank 😄 so keep an eye on that temp because if that heater breaks and defaults to the “always on” mode, that 5g will get hot really fast.

I keep a thermometer in each tank and monitor the water daily. The oldest 5g (2 years old) has been running with the same heater with no issues. The new 5g has a different heater in it... same size, looks the same, but different brand, so that one Im definitely watching. The 29g has the ACO heater in it.

On 8/27/2022 at 1:38 PM, anewbie said:

Don't take this wrong but other than shrimp and betta these sort of tanks should be outlawed. More precisely if you know what you are buying that's fine but if you have no experience and see something like this you would generally be making a mistake buying it. The issue is that a cube has way too little swimming room for most fishes. Having said that next year i will setup not one but TWO cube but my cubes will be 48x48 (inches) 😉

--

Going further i'm not a fan of the kits for most of the fishes I would keep. First the substrate is too coarse for most dwarf cichild or cory; the light is probably ok for a shallow 5 but as the tank height increase they become more questionable. The filter - for anything smaller than ~100 gallons i'm going to use sponges. There are some reason to use a decent hob or canister filter but then it depends on stocking. Some fishes love current and other can't stand it. 

-

I guess it depends what you want and the type of fish. For 99% of the person new to the hobby that just wants a betta these are probably great but  if they decide later they want some tetra or what have you they will discover (or worse not discover) the fundamental issues with these small cubes.

The kits have worked great for me so far, but I', nit using cubes... just the standard framed tanks. 5g tank house a Betta each and a Nerite snail. The 29g is a Community tank. ALL of my tank run with both an HOB filter on one side and a sponge filter with an air stone on the other.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, FLFishChik said:

The kits have worked great for me so far, but I', nit using cubes... just the standard framed tanks. 5g tank house a Betta each and a Nerite snail. The 29g is a Community tank. ALL of my tank run with both an HOB filter on one side and a sponge filter with an air stone on the other.

Yes but i quoted Patrick who was defending kits with his purchase of a cube.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 2:14 PM, FLFishChik said:

2) the filter is… okay. It’s not spectacular but, it gets the job done. It comes with a carbon filter… that’s it. You’ll probably want to purchase some filter media and sponges to “soup it up”… and create more areas for beneficial bacteria to live. I purchased both on Amazon for under $5.

It is definitely the biggest drawback for me when I see kits.  The marineland kit, I don't even think it came with a filter, but the tank itself was amazing quality and I loved the setup.  (38g bowfront, I wish it was rectangular)

The nice thing is you get a filter, but the biggest issue for me is usually that it's often undersized and missing basic features.  There are some that come with "better quality" filters, but in general there isn't one kit tank that comes with a filter out of the box, ready to go. (even aquaclears).

I also think, more often than not... The filter you're getting isn't the right size for the tank. This goes back to "missing features" so to speak.  If all the filters had adequate flow control, it would mean less of them needed to exist. If they simply replaced the HoB with airline, sponge filter, and an airpump, then you'd probably be slightly better off.

10G tank, I'm usually going to run a "20-30 gallon" filter.
20G tank, I'm usually going to run a "50 gallon" rated filter.
30G tank, I'm usually going to run a "50 gallon" rated filter.
40G tank, I'm usually going to run a "70 gallon" rated filter.

There's a lot of reasons for this, but it all goes back to when I install the filter into the tank, stock it, what does the filter perform and does that meet what I expect for the fish.

I don't think I'd ever recommend, especially for a beginner hobbyist, to walk out of a store buying a tank, without having an air pump, air hose, air stone, check valve

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 7:26 PM, saphbettas said:

I was thinking about getting one of these kits when I have enough space to upgrade my betta to a ten gallon. I haven't always read good things about the Top Fin brand, though. I'd love to know which tank brands you all suggest, especially ones that come with kits like these 💙 I'm seeing Aqueon, Marineland, and Fluval, which one do you all think would be best?

I've heard too many stories of fluval tanks with issues. Depending which one you're looking at, I would research "(tank name) issues" into google and see what comes back.

In terms of cost and buying a nice setup, I would go to the other big box store, get a black metal stand (imagitarium brand) and whatever tank you want on the 50% off sale. I'd grab a versatop lid, and then order a pump, airstone, filter, gang valve, easy green, and some plants from the co-op.  That would be my starter kit of choice!

I would easily recommend a 20L/29G as a "my first tank" especially given you can get a decent stand for pretty cheap.  Same thing with a 40 breeder if you have space.  I would much prefer that setup compared to a 10G tank.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:58 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I've heard too many stories of fluval tanks with issues. Depending which one you're looking at, I would research "(tank name) issues" into google and see what comes back.

In terms of cost and buying a nice setup, I would go to the other big box store, get a black metal stand (imagitarium brand) and whatever tank you want on the 50% off sale. I'd grab a versatop lid, and then order a pump, airstone, filter, gang valve, easy green, and some plants from the co-op.  That would be my starter kit of choice!

I would easily recommend a 20L/29G as a "my first tank" especially given you can get a decent stand for pretty cheap.  Same thing with a 40 breeder if you have space.  I would much prefer that setup compared to a 10G tank.

I've had an aqueon 40 and a 29 fail on me - both were less than 14 months old. Having said that i'm not convince mairineland is any better from what i've read. Also topfin is just a rebrand. The 40 i had failed catastrophically; the 29 developed a very slow leak at the bottom seam under the rim.

On 8/27/2022 at 7:54 PM, anewbie said:

I've had an aqueon 40 and a 29 fail on me - both were less than 14 months old. Having said that i'm not convince mairineland is any better from what i've read. Also topfin is just a rebrand. The 40 i had failed catastrophically; the 29 developed a very slow leak at the bottom seam under the rim.

A rebrand? From what? (Sorry… not very familiar with tank brands other than Fluval, Aqueon and Top fin). 

On 8/27/2022 at 7:04 PM, FLFishChik said:

A rebrand? From what? (Sorry… not very familiar with tank brands other than Fluval, Aqueon and Top fin). 

rebrand means they have an agreement with another company to take their tank verbatim and stick a different brand label on it.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:54 PM, anewbie said:

🤔 Question.... Were you placing all these tanks on the same surface and they broke one after another after another? Prior to buying them, in the shop are you checking the seams and checking the silicone health? Leak tests?

I am trying to understand to figure out what on earth has caused such a string of bad luck! I'm sorry you're had such a bad experience, that is 100000% not the norm.

• Like 1