What’s the best deal you’ve ever had (in the hobby)?

AnimalNerd98

On 8/22/2022 at 3:00 AM, AnimalNerd98 said:

What is the best deal you have ever gotten in the hobby? It can be tanks, equipment, plants, or livestock. 

All of the above.  A friend called to say that he was no longer selling his 29 gallon setup.  He asked if I could come and get it.

Best deal I got on market place was this for $40:

10 gallon tank

Stand for 10 gallon tank that is suuuuuuper nice and easily worth over $100 and looks brand new

Lots of decor including a piece that's worth $50 and very nice

Fruity pebbles gravel. Not my cup of tea but I found a use for it and backups are always welcome. 

Misc food and supplies including a siphon 

Common pleco. Poor thing had been living in the 10 gal for 3 years. I gave it to a friend who has a 150 gal. Big upgrade for him!

I also gave the lady updates on the pleco. She was attached. I got a good deal and she was grateful her "Rumba" got a spoiled home. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 7:07 AM, Tanked said:

All of the above.  A friend called to say that he was no longer selling his 29 gallon setup.  He asked if I could come and get it.

Dang, that is pretty sweet. What did you end up keeping and not keeping? 

On 8/22/2022 at 1:04 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

6-9 mutt guppies I don’t remember the price as it was years ago which spiraled into so 100s and so many hours of enjoyment or perhaps the original bundle of hornwort I purchased for a few bucks which is a staple in many of my tanks today lol

Ahh, don’t you just love the self-replicating purchases? 😝

On 8/22/2022 at 7:20 AM, Odd Duck said:

Free 100 gallon tank, stand, lid, tiny lights, geriatric canister filters, and the fish that came with it because friends got out of the hobby.  It’s my new angelfish tank.

What kind of fish were in there? 

On 8/22/2022 at 9:29 AM, John Henry said:

Found a 4" x 3" inch mat of fresh healthy Java Fern at a big box store selling for $4.99.

Which box store? Just for reference… 😉

On 8/22/2022 at 10:29 AM, Katherine said:

A 10 gallon with all equipment and fish for free when a friend who had bought them for her kids got tired of the maintenance. It was my first tank. I'd wanted one forever, but really wanted a bigger one and hadn't had the room yet.

Wow! What has happened to that tank and the fish since then? 

On 8/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Best deal I got on market place was this for $40:

10 gallon tank

Stand for 10 gallon tank that is suuuuuuper nice and easily worth over $100 and looks brand new

Lots of decor including a piece that's worth $50 and very nice

Fruity pebbles gravel. Not my cup of tea but I found a use for it and backups are always welcome. 

Misc food and supplies including a siphon 

Common pleco. Poor thing had been living in the 10 gal for 3 years. I gave it to a friend who has a 150 gal. Big upgrade for him!

I also gave the lady updates on the pleco. She was attached. I got a good deal and she was grateful her "Rumba" got a spoiled home. 

I actually check market place every day for deals like this 😂

I was installing some cabinetry at this lady’s house and somehow it came up I have a lot of aquariums.( I think I had my aquarium co-op hat on and she asked) She says I have an aquarium come see, then asked me if I wanted it, for free.

they had got it for the kids a couple years ago now nobody pays attention to it. It had 1 fish a glolight skirt tetra. “We hardly ever feed him” she says 😟

still have the tetra, 29G aquarium, HOB filter, and a couple decorations. Fake plastic plants in storage. Trashed the hood/ light, gravel, and the heater.

I now keep an ever expanding group of mutt guppies in there. 😃

• Like 2

On 8/23/2022 at 7:05 AM, FLFishChik said:

$5 for two 10g tanks. Wanted to buy more ($2.50 each was an awesome price) but I had to control my impulse or hubby would probably put me in fish tank jail

Are we in the same area? I am about to go pick up 10 gallon tanks for $2.50 each lol. I was originally thinking about doing all 20 gallons, but this is too good of a deal to pass up and will be fine for my guppy and shrimp breeding. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 7:42 AM, Jmhowe09 said:

Are we in the same area? I am about to go pick up 10 gallon tanks for $2.50 each lol. I was originally thinking about doing all 20 gallons, but this is too good of a deal to pass up and will be fine for my guppy and shrimp breeding. 

I wanted them for Chili Rasbora and CPD tanks… are you in Florida? $2.50 is too good to pass up, but the husband does not share my fish tank enthusiasm.. though a plant grow out tank would be nice, lol

Edited by FLFishChik

When I first set my tanks up about 6 months ago. I got a 29 setup and 10 gal setup. All with finnex lights glass lids and co op sponge filters. Driftwood,test kits. Meds and water conditioners. All really needed to do was add gravel water and fish. All for 160 bucks. I counted just the meds and chemicals equaled that value alone!

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 2:20 AM, AnimalNerd98 said:

Dang, that is pretty sweet. What did you end up keeping and not keeping? 

This was my first aquarium rescue and the onset of MTS.  I kept everything.  

I Picked up a 29 gallon Aqueon Aquarium, hood, 1 Aqueon 20, 1 Aqueon 30, 1 50 watt heater, 1 full led hood with 3/5 functional light,  gravel, 1 marbled Angel, 1 gold Angel, 1 damaged Gourami.  In hindsight, I guess that was my second best deal. 

A year later He told me that he could no longer take care of his 65 gallon setup.  and asked me to take the fish: 1 Marbled Angel, 3 Silver Dollars, 1 Moonlight Gourami, 3 Zebra Danios,1 Tiger Barb, 5 Serpae Tetra, 3 Ember Tetra.  This was a true rescue, and proof of how hardy our fish really are.  The aquarium was the stuff of nightmares.  I bought everything he had  for $150.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 3:06 PM, Cinnebuns said:

The first choice for goldfish bowls everywhere. Not for me either, but a better choice than Skittles gravel.   They make a good choice for houseplant toppings.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:20 AM, AnimalNerd98 said:

What kind of fish were in there? 

A complete hodgepodge.  There were 2 cories (one sterbai and one trilineatus) which I still have and both now have their own species shoals, sterbais in the angel tank, trilineatus in the nanofish tank.  A single, sick angelfish that has since passed despite all my best efforts (pretty sure it was a bad case of Lymphocystis).  A couple juvie common plecos, a pair of thin, albino, rainbow sharks, a trio of blue gouramis, and 4 African cichlids which I’m sure were bullying the rest of the tank (3 females, 1 male).  The other fish went to a friend locally until they were healthy (I’m sure the poor sharks just needed better access to food).  They were then sold (he was trying to do a start up home fish store and had the tank space for the various species).

It was a weird mix, most of which they got from the tank’s previous owner (his brother), some of which they added.  They all went to more appropriate set ups since my friend makes sure people don’t put any of his fish into weird mixes like this.

• Like 2

I won two heaters in a $2 raffle once, which came in handy a week later when the heater in my 40 failed.

The best deals for me have always been at my local aquarium club's expos. I can't get there early enough for the popular stuff (shrimp sold out before I got to the last one) but people are often really nice about giving extra deals so they don't have to take stuff home with them.

• Like 1