What’s the best deal you’ve ever had (in the hobby)?

AnimalNerd98

At the height of the pandemic, I ordered 9 Denison barbs (a.k.a. torpedo barbs or roseline sharks) from an online retailer at half off.. A week later, another box from the same retailer showed up with another 9 Denison barbs. They'd had a computer issue and couldn't determine which orders they'd sent out the previous week, so they just sent all their customers a second order. So, 18 fish for half the cost of 9.

Now that they're almost 5" long, it makes for an impressive school, though I could use a larger tank. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man I got an AMAZING deal today..

I was looking for some dragon stone. I discovered a big box store was having an amazing sale on 25 lbs for $38 but my local one didn't have it in stock. I called to see if it was something they could order. Turns out it's a discontinued item and there's only 3 left within an hour. The manager legit picked one up for me from a store 40 min away! 

They also had a deal buy 1 decor piece get a 2nd 50% off so I decided to see if anything appealed to me. It just so happened a piece I had been looking at online was on clearance for $8 originally $17. That means with the 50% off its only $4!  Nice!

That's not the end...

I got home and decided to check my receipt to check to make sure I got the $38 clearance price on the dragon stone as well as the 50% off the decor piece. APPARENTLY the dragon stone only cost me $26!!!!!!  Wowzers!! 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On trip with brother today to pick up a used 120gal. It had a very nice piece of driftwood in it. I was admiring it while we drained and broke down the tank when the guy  asks if I would be interested in some driftwood he has "out back." I say sure and we go look, he has a ton of it with some truly stunning pieces and I'm picking out a few and ask what he wants for them. He says he has no use for them as my brother had just bought his last two tanks so I should take them all.  Again, "Well how much we talking?" "If you haul it it's yours." 

He wouldn't take anything for what has got to be at least $400 worth of wood.

So I guess the best deal I ever got was $400+ of driftwood for helping my brother out for a couple hours 😉

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/3/2022 at 8:05 PM, Cleveland M said:

On trip with brother today to pick up a used 120gal. It had a very nice piece of driftwood in it. I was admiring it while we drained and broke down the tank when the guy  asks if I would be interested in some driftwood he has "out back." I say sure and we go look, he has a ton of it with some truly stunning pieces and I'm picking out a few and ask what he wants for them. He says he has no use for them as my brother had just bought his last two tanks so I should take them all.  Again, "Well how much we talking?" "If you haul it it's yours." 

He wouldn't take anything for what has got to be at least $400 worth of wood.

So I guess the best deal I ever got was $400+ of driftwood for helping my brother out for a couple hours 😉

Good karma for being a good human!