Aquarium Products Have No Resale Value

Damo.Lo

Hey all 

Something that has baffled me since joining the hobby is the “high” prices for brand new hardware I.e. Tank, Filters, Light and so on 

but as soon as it has been used the retail price and condition becomes irrelevant and the resell value becomes negligible… 

it doesn’t bother me it is what it is, but I’m just curious as to where this culture came from, is it a saturated second hand market? Or buyers not willing to pay a premium? or manufactures charging high prices? 

Not wanting a finger pointing post just curious as to peoples view on this??

Edited by Damo.Lo
Grammar

I guess because most aquarium equipment lasts a relatively small amount of time? and sometimes they don't have the best QC... A heater has a life expectancy of a few years (depending on on/off cycles). Filters break, start rattling, become encrusted with mulm/sediment that is hard to remove without a good amount of elbow grease, suction cups deteriorate, gaskets dry out... same with aquariums. Rarely do I ever see someone selling an used aquarium cleaned up and ready to put fish in them. Seems that there's always lotsa work to be done when getting used aquariums?

Feel it's more psychological than anything. A brand new FX6 costs what, $400? It takes a few months depending on your bioload, for it to become "dirty", which makes people wanna offer less, cause we associate dirty = abused, cheap, etc. even though the filter would be practically new.

Edited by HenryC

@HenryCthat all actually makes a lot of sense I never really put into consideration the shelf life of aquarium equipment being that it doesn’t last forever.. do you think that’s due to the conditions it is put through or lack of quality? 

@Pepere Where do you live? I live in Australia and VERY general price drop is 30-60% but I also think we pay a lot for tanks over here new, I bought a tank and stand 127L 33G for $300Au and retails for $900 just an example of you can get 10G for $10 🙃 (mine is an all in one system so not really comparing apples with apples) 

On 8/1/2022 at 5:32 AM, Damo.Lo said:

something that has baffled me since joining the hobby is the “high” prices for brand new hardware I.e. Tank, Filters, Light and so on 

Me also but a lot of people will pay those high prices no matter what. IMO a light for $200 or more is just crazy. But people fall into the trap and that lets companies laugh all the way to the bank. 

When I buy a tank, I like to think I got a good deal, will I spend high dollars for a tank maybe? (I`ve never had a tank break yet.) I don`t think I would buy a used tank.

Hey all 

Something that has baffled me since joining the hobby is the “high” prices for brand new hardware I.e. Tank, Filters, Light and so on 

but as soon as it has been used the retail price and condition becomes irrelevant and the resell value becomes negligible… 

it doesn’t bother me it is what it is, but I’m just curious as to where this culture came from, is it a saturated second hand market? Or buyers not willing to pay a premium? or manufactures charging high prices? 

Not wanting a finger pointing post just curious as to peoples view on this??

there is also the failure question is the aquarium /filter going to leak and cause thousands in damage is this heater going to fail and kill my fish a few dollars might be worth the peace of mind.

also aquarium (especially small ones) are often purchased on a whim so everything  is bought same day at the store after a year all the fish have died and they just want to get rid of it .

My fear on used equipment is any medication containing copper that gets into say seals and can be re-released. I’m big on snails and shrimp so this would be devastating.  I would not buy a used filter because I would start with media preference of my own meaning spending money on the media and I have no idea how much longer the motors were run due to how they were/were not maintained. Heaters I don’t trust new ones so would definitely not trust a used one. 
So I totally agree even new aquarium equipment has a relatively short lifespan and buying used shortens it further. 

On 8/1/2022 at 7:49 AM, Pepere said:

Currently a listing for a 50 gallon tank with screen top and reptile lighting for $150.00 on local craigslist.

Petco has a 55 gallon for $75.00.

I’m a reptile/amphibian girl. Most reptile tanks are not made of correct glass or sealed with proper stuff in the proper way to hold water. Many are not convertible so ask before you buy. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2022 at 6:05 AM, Pepere said:

Second hand sellers around here havent got the memo that aquariums andaquarium supplies are valued far less than new….

on Craigslist, locally stuff is listed more than new.  Patina adds value?

10 gallon tanks listed for $25.00 while petco has it on sale for $10.00?

I look from time to time but never found anything enticing.

It's the same here (South Jersey). Used stuff typically sells for more than new. It's crazy.

• Like 1

is it a saturated second hand market? Or buyers not willing to pay a premium? or manufactures charging high prices? 

All of the above and more. We have an innate desire for new and shiny.  My first new car lost $1000. dollars in value the moment I took the keys.  It was last years model. I could have bought the same car used, but I wanted a new one.  There is always a what if factor when buying used equipment.  What if: it leaks, been abused, works intermittently, stops working tomorrow, can't be cleaned up etc.

Manufactures/ retailers will always charge what the market will bear.  Dollar a gallon sales are loss leaders  They make a little less money on the aquarium, but they make up for it when you buy all of the overpriced extras.

Normally in SW Ohio used aquarium equipment is overpriced, sometimes to nearly full retail. However, looking at Craigslist this morning, there are fewer ads, some bargains, and the usual dubious ads.

• Like 1

Tanks in south Florida do well be parts don’t. I would love to buy a used Penguin 350 impeller as a new one is $28 and a used complete filter I can’t find one local. One used on a resale sold is 25-30 but shipping makes it close to the price of new one. O who want a heat that has been used. Most people don’t. I  see some top end canister filters reselling for good money. 

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 2

I have noticed that people have started wanting more for their old aquarium stuff in the UK.

Not so long ago of you'd collect it a large tank would be free. Bargains can still be found but not like you could. 

I think my first fish tank and filter was a "free to a good home" card on the village notice board. 

I suppose it is caution about buying things you don't need, far better to use what you have until it wears out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m in with everyone else of the “don’t know what people did to it, maintenance, longevity left” camp. I want to get a good deal but the unknown just drives me away. And people ask a ridiculous amount for old tanks and like someone said above - they don’t clean them or try to make them look presentable. I’m all for a bio filter, but once it is emptied and moved I doubt any surface bacteria survive and I don’t want to scrub off crusty water deposits from someone else’s tank when I could just start fresh.

• Like 2

That's a very good point. I have a 40 gallon I will be trying to sell it locally for whatever amount that I can get for it soon.. But I will clean it up first. People likes a good clean tank and if it has a lot of beneficial bacteria most of it dies off over time, I think so. That's why we run our filters in some way to keep the beneficial bacteria alive. 

• Like 1

@BuzzDaddy21 yea it’s a tough one some people have horrible experience and then the saying is you get what you pay for but seems in general the second hand market is fair

On 8/1/2022 at 10:20 PM, face said:

there is also the failure question is the aquarium /filter going to leak and cause thousands in damage is this heater going to fail and kill my fish a few dollars might be worth the peace of mind.

also aquarium (especially small ones) are often purchased on a whim so everything  is bought same day at the store after a year all the fish have died and they just want to get rid of it .

Two good points it’s not ALOT of money to keep fish in comparison to say a pure bred dog but if something fails in a tank it can’t literally be your home at stake…

@Tankedi don’t know about USA but is Aus the warranty on products is very appealing in the instance of brand new being up to two years 

On 8/1/2022 at 6:14 PM, Latishcia said:

That's a very good point. I have a 40 gallon I will be trying to sell it locally for whatever amount that I can get for it soon.. But I will clean it up first. People likes a good clean tank and if it has a lot of beneficial bacteria most of it dies off over time, I think so. That's why we run our filters in some way to keep the beneficial bacteria alive. 

I disinfect anything second hand I buy just in a better safe than sorry easier to know your starting from clean so the nicer something looks the more likely I am to consider buying.

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2022 at 11:57 PM, Damo.Lo said:

@Flumpweeselwhats typical products used to disinfect aquarium equipment?  

Stream where I can safely.  Boil or clean with hydrogen peroxide. 

You can use unscented household bleach but rinse very well and run some dechlorinator through before setting up.

That is on the buyer though to sell just get it looking clean. And free of substrate. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 5:52 AM, modified lung said:

In northern California, used stuff also sells for between just barely under to more than the cost of new.

This is the same for us in SoCal.

This is what I'm used to.  I've seen people wanting to sell a 100ish gallon aquarium for thousands of dollars because it "works" too.

Essentially, what I usually see, is you can buy something beat up, dirty, contaminated, for the price of shipping or going to go drive to get it....  or you see the opposite end of someone selling something that is so broken down it might as well just be recycled, but the person is trying to get a buck for it.

That's when you have the "I don't know if it works, buy at own risk, parts only" type of listings.

Aquabid is also a great place to check for equipment.

On 8/1/2022 at 8:40 PM, Damo.Lo said:

@Pepere Where do you live? I live in Australia and VERY general price drop is 30-60% but I also think we pay a lot for tanks over here new, I bought a tank and stand 127L 33G for $300Au and retails for $900 just an example of you can get 10G for $10 🙃 (mine is an all in one system so not really comparing apples with apples) 

Me too!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 12:31 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I have noticed that people have started wanting more for their old aquarium stuff in the UK.

Not so long ago of you'd collect it a large tank would be free. Bargains can still be found but not like you could. 

I think my first fish tank and filter was a "free to a good home" card on the village notice board. 

I suppose it is caution about buying things you don't need, far better to use what you have until it wears out.

I was given my because an Uncle was tossing his. I think at lot of things changed in the states with Covid.

Edited by Brandon p

We have amazing tanks here in Florida and sometimes the issue is things are new they tried and failed at huge tanks and they want to sell them for the same as they paid. It not everyone that has a place for 400-800 gal tanks. And they sit and sit. The 125g to 220 are the ones in demand and come most of the time just like they came from custom tanks.com. I see lots of custom tanks.com. I have not had one so I can’t say how they are. I’m looking for two more 50 gal tanks used and they want to much. 

On 8/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

This is the same for us in SoCal.

This is what I'm used to.  I've seen people wanting to sell a 100ish gallon aquarium for thousands of dollars because it "works" too.

Essentially, what I usually see, is you can buy something beat up, dirty, contaminated, for the price of shipping or going to go drive to get it....  or you see the opposite end of someone selling something that is so broken down it might as well just be recycled, but the person is trying to get a buck for it.

That's when you have the "I don't know if it works, buy at own risk, parts only" type of listings.

Aquabid is also a great place to check for equipment.

20 gal with gravel, leaks. $30 firm.

• Haha 2