NERM Family Feud

Cinnebuns

On 7/19/2022 at 9:31 PM, Brandon p said:

Black/kuhlii loach

My local petco had zebra loaches.  I'm so annoyed I didn't pick them up.  I got the yo-yo loaches, they didn't do well (weren't healthy) and went back to get the zebras and they were gone. 😞

I know it's silly, but literally I can't even get 95% of the barbs, tetras, or rasboras most people have access to.

You just can’t get them or keep them? I get some fish from the local fish store I don’t go to petco or those stores note because I can’t get the fish I want. My favorite LFS that sell most will order and this for me. Is it were you live. Have you considered buying online. eBay is a crap shoot but there are some good breeders there. Aqua bid I have never had an issue. One other store is one that I would buy from but I don’t want to break the rules about other retailers. I know I can say eBay and Cory has mentioned getting fish from aquabid. There can be extra shipping costs that you don’t have at the store but I have had mostly good luck. 

On 7/19/2022 at 11:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Amano shrimp

See mine almost daily.  Not all at once, mind you, but *somebody* almost every day.

On 7/19/2022 at 11:31 PM, Brandon p said:

Black/kuhlii loach

See mine almost daily.  Not all at once, mind you, but somebody almost every day - same as amanos.  I would probably see at least one or more everyday if I ran my flashlight into all the crevices each day.

But that clown pleco?  Every 3-6 months at best.  And I just bought 7 more.  😆 🤦🏻‍♀️ 🤣  With a goal (pipedream?) to catch the one I have in the 100 G nanofish tank to transfer him into the 100 G angelfish tank when the new ones are done with QT. 🤦🏻‍♀️ 🤦🏻‍♀️ 🤦🏻‍♀️  At least the new ones are in a 20 G high that I’m planning on resetting anyway, so I’ll only have to remove pots of plants to catch them and their oto buddies that will all end up in the same tank.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:42 PM, Odd Duck said:

Clown pleco, by far!

OH.... ok. I took this as... the stuff the store never has but you specifically went out of your way to find!

I have 2 clowns, I see them every day for about 2 seconds before they scatter when lights pop on.  Such cool fish.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:16 PM, Brandon p said:

You just can’t get them or keep them?

I'm right there in the same situation as you.  I don't have the tank up and running for them, but even if I went to the store.... I could probably list the 20-25 fish they do have and about 30-50 that I've seen elsewhere and I just don't have access to.

A lot of things that aren't around, aren't available to me.  Online is mandatory just to get fish now.

Bumblebee catfish. You typically won't ever see them once you get them.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 2

On 7/20/2022 at 1:01 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

the stuff the store never has but you specifically went out of your way to find!

That’s a very different answer. Hummingbird tetras are not something I have ever seen in any local store in all my decades in the hobby.  Had never even heard of them until somebody posted a video (was it @Fish Folk?) and I fell in love.  I have avidly pursued finding and getting them with a very poor survival rate from shipping and even once in my tanks.  I’m trying one more time, then giving up if this new lead doesn’t pan out better.

Giant hatchetfish (Thoracocharax securis) I have not been able to find for sale at all in nearly a year of looking.  I finally found the spotfin hatchetfish (Thoracocharax stellatus) but have had horrible survival rates with shipping, better once in my hands.  I think I can get them from the same source as the tetras, so I’m looking forward to getting more of those soon.

• Like 1

I have some plecos that we’re supposed one thing but I don’t if that what they are are post I just later today. I wish I could sleep. But they live in the open.  
I haven’t keep Amanos. I have ghost shrimp and that was an accident.

Edited by Brandon p

On 7/19/2022 at 10:04 AM, Lemon said:

random non-nerm why do you have so many tanks? why do you keep these fish they aren't colorful(pearl danio). 

why do you only take care of a house cat when you could be taking care of a big cat.

seriously though I wouldn't recommend saltwater to anyone it is so much work and it can be very finicky. 

The fresh vs saltwater conversation comes up whenever certain family members drop by for a visit, as well as the non-nerms.  It has become a running joke.

Nephew: Saltwater is easier and the fish are more colorful.  Me: talk to your father about how easy it was.  Me: Has that 75 gallon I gave you got water in it yet?  Nephew: I haven't got around to it.  Me:  It's only been 5 years!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/20/2022 at 8:35 AM, Tanked said:

The fresh vs saltwater conversation comes up whenever certain family members drop by for a visit, as well as the non-nerms.  It has become a running joke.

Nephew: Saltwater is easier and the fish are more colorful.  Me: talk to your father about how easy it was.  Me: Has that 75 gallon I gave you got water in it yet?  Nephew: I haven't got around to it.  Me:  It's only been 5 years!

that reminds me I need to put water in the 75 gallon I've had for 2 years. not a joke I really need to finish this tank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2022 at 1:05 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Who knows. Maybe they spawned and you have more. You'll never know!

I can only hope. I also have an overdue molly in that tank, so I'm checking for fry every day, but the only babies are the bladder snails.

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2022 at 12:42 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

My local petco had zebra loaches.  I'm so annoyed I didn't pick them up.  I got the yo-yo loaches, they didn't do well (weren't healthy) and went back to get the zebras and they were gone. 😞

I know it's silly, but literally I can't even get 95% of the barbs, tetras, or rasboras most people have access to.

Yeah it's hard for me to find alot of the fish that I would like. Especially since my lfs is retiring and going out of business in just a couple of weeks. I will pull the trigger on my first online fish order end of next week. I hope it's a good experience. I won't lie I'm nervous as heck.

• Like 1