You might be a NERM if...

BigJ

I had a NERM moment at work today and thought a thread with short "you might be a NERM if...." Stories might be fun. I'll start with mine from earlier today, and hopefully, others will share the stories too.

I was working in a store room I'm not often in and saw this, and my initial thought was wow, I guess someone figured out another use for that great multi-use aquarium supply... Then I caught myself and realized oh, I might be a NERM.PXL_20220616_204445701.jpg.c94ee533738ab000db8ef33241bd0da0.jpg

• Haha 14

….you go to the hardware store to purchase rubber gaskets shaped oddly to hold plant roots 1 inch away from the glass.  Unsuspecting sales guy asks what they are for to offer a different solution.  10 minutes later you see he is debating calling security or the men in the white coats from the sanitarium because you just described the entire preference of where Pygmy corydora lay eggs and the maneuver room they need because of the spawning and how your finger needs to fit behind without squishing the eggs to collect them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11
  • Love 2

On 6/16/2022 at 10:50 PM, Guppysnail said:

….you go to the hardware store to purchase rubber gaskets shaped oddly to hold plant roots 1 inch away from the glass.  Unsuspecting sales guy asks what they are for to offer a different solution.  10 minutes later you see he is debating calling security or the men in the white coats from the sanitarium because you just described the entire preference of where Pygmy corydora lay eggs and the maneuver room they need because of the spawning and how your finger needs to fit behind without squishing the eggs to collect them. 

We’ve all been there😢

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You might be a NERM if you hear your coworker ask about where to get fish food and you get super excited to drop some knowledge. Only to realize they are talking about Ben and Jerry and mean Phish Food. However, you are still excited because you love both. 

• Haha 12

You might be a nerm if you ask your coworker to trade shifts with you so you can go to Aquashella.

You might be a nerm if you save insulated boxes from work and share them with your fish buddy.

You might be a nerm if you have a few hundred pictures of fish and tanks on your phone but only a few of your husband.  Oops!

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1

I'm ORD 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Except for @Ken Burke on accidentally squishing corydora eggs😢 It's hard when we are trying to do the right thing and it still goes south. FUBAR gets a whole new meaning when fish are involved....

You might be a Nerm when you identify with everything on this page.

You might be a Nerm when you spend two different dinners talking about the implications of Reverse Respiration™ with the Patient Spouse™ who is considering withdrawing their Reluctant Nerm™ status if I keep talking about lysed cells and osmotic pressure🤣, but hasn't yet because I have stuck to the agrrement not to discuss anything that involves words like "wriggling", "worms", "holes" or "squiggles"

You might be a Nerm married to a non-Nerm when these things were negotiated with the same passion some couples reserve for prenups.😅

You might be a Nerm when favorite memories of past travels don't start with foods, locations, or people, but with cenotes, streams, rivers and the plants and fish found in the water sources.

You might be a Nerm when your reward for writing the 10,000 words today, and completing all my meetings is to hang out in the forum with all my fellow Nerms before I go to bed!

• Haha 4
  • Love 1

@Odd Duck I just went through my pics:

1 album for grandboos, with 73 pictures

10 albums for tanks, plants, and aspirations, with over 3k pictures

A dozen pictures of spouse, and these include the pics we have of the wedding, and documentation images of covid rash we took to the doc

1 album for the dog pics

1 album for my kids....

1 Memorial album.

Yeah. I might be a Nerm🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You might be a nerm if you go to a rock yard and have a conversation like this:

• Them (clearly making small talk): That's 400# of rock.  What'cha doing with it?
  • Me: It's for an aquarium.
  • Them (looking a little amused and bemused): How many aquariums is that for?
  • Me: Just the one.
  • Them: ?...
  • Me: Do you want to see pictures of the fish I am going to put in it?!
  • Also me (not giving them any time answer): *whips out phone and proceeds to scroll through too many photos of the fish I want*
  • Them: 😐

Ah, I need to find time to get to work on hat tank again.  🤔

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

On 6/17/2022 at 7:09 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

You might be a nerm if you go to a rock yard and have a conversation like this:

• Them (clearly making small talk): That's 400# of rock.  What'cha doing with it?
  • Me: It's for an aquarium.
  • Them (looking a little amused and bemused): How many aquariums is that for?
  • Me: Just the one.
  • Them: ?...
  • Me: Do you want to see pictures of the fish I am going to put in it?!
  • Also me (not giving them any time answer): *whips out phone and proceeds to scroll through too many photos of the fish I want*
  • Them: 😐

Ah, I need to find time to get to work on hat tank again.  🤔

You might be a Nerm if you whip out your phone to show your doctor your post on summer tubbing.  Doctor is not a Nerm.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/17/2022 at 12:01 AM, Torrey said:

@Odd Duck I just went through my pics:

1 album for grandboos, with 73 pictures

10 albums for tanks, plants, and aspirations, with over 3k pictures

A dozen pictures of spouse, and these include the pics we have of the wedding, and documentation images of covid rash we took to the doc

1 album for the dog pics

1 album for my kids....

1 Memorial album.

Yeah. I might be a Nerm🤣

The moment when you wife realizes you have a ton of more photos of your fish then of her. 

On 6/17/2022 at 5:46 AM, SandBkeeper said:

You might be a NERM if you procrastinate by trimming your aquarium plants

Also, yours tanks are cleaner than your own kitchen. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love this term! 

You might be a Nerm if you spend a hour at the landscape supply store sorting thru bins of small, medium and large stones to get just the right shapes, colors & textures for your next tank.

You might be a Nerm if you drive 2 hours to the mountains to hunt for just the right size driftwood.

You might be a Nerm if your social media feed is 90% fish and 10% family. 

You might be a nerm if you get super excited when Lowes sells small terra cotta pots without drain holes for $2.88.

On 6/17/2022 at 2:12 PM, ChargerstoLA said:

Also, yours tanks are cleaner than your own kitchen

100% of the time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

On 6/16/2022 at 9:24 PM, BigJ said:

I had a NERM moment at work today and thought a thread with short "you might be a NERM if...." Stories might be fun. I'll start with mine from earlier today, and hopefully, others will share the stories too.

I was working in a store room I'm not often in and saw this, and my initial thought was wow, I guess someone figured out another use for that great multi-use aquarium supply... Then I caught myself and realized oh, I might be a NERM.PXL_20220616_204445701.jpg.c94ee533738ab000db8ef33241bd0da0.jpg

Reminds me of my friend whose son was in college when he learned that many people use irons for something other than this craft:

image.jpeg.3b100a4a3e9206a65f29c5b1854d8440.jpeg

As for my NERM status: you might be a NERM if you find duckweed in your bed and in your coffee in the same day, and no longer react to either.

• Haha 9

On 6/17/2022 at 7:45 PM, PineSong said:

Reminds me of my friend whose son was in college when he learned that many people use irons for something other than this craft:

image.jpeg.3b100a4a3e9206a65f29c5b1854d8440.jpeg

As for my NERM status: you might be a NERM if you find duckweed in your bed and in your coffee in the same day, and no longer react to either.

And we have a winner!  

On 6/17/2022 at 4:59 PM, Kaylish said:

You might be a Nerm if you spend a hour at the landscape supply store sorting thru bins of small, medium and large stones to get just the right shapes, colors & textures for your next tank.

My wife, who has gotten into fish keeping in the last 2 years , did this to me! I like fish keeping but as a colorblind guy, all rocks look the same and 2 minutes is all I need to get what I need for my tanks. 

I'd say you might be a Nerd if you spend 30 minutes looking at a tank full of Striata Botia to pick the one with the best pattern. My LFS just gives me a net and bucket and says have fun. Love those folks!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

You might be a nerm if someone mentions a fish species and you start gushing about them and maybe rattle off some facts that nobody asked for!

You might be a nerm if you're in the aquatics section of the pet store, see some customers browsing, and have to exert all your power to withhold the knowledge you wish you could dump on them!

(These are both regular occurrences for me, my brain's just chock full of fish facts I wish people cared enough to hear, lmao) 💙

• Like 4
  • Love 3

You might be a nerm if you go with your friend to a CVS to get hydrogen peroxide after school since SOMEONE got blackbeard algae

You might be a nerm if your friends consider fish keeping to be a third of your entire identity.

(At this point I honestly don't know how my friends deal with me and my fish fueled antics haha) 

• Like 4
  • Love 3