When the light was on the dimmest moonlight setting and about to go out, I saw Flint taking the grand tour of the tank, cleaning every inch of the front glass. It’s his turf when everybody goes to sleep. So I make it a point to get the Repashy in there as late as possible so he has the proper nutrition. Also, he is very camera shy and I couldn’t capture it. But when he moves he flares and his fins are so full and beautiful and NO more splits! Fully healed! The pure white edges of his fins are JUST. SO. STUNNING.

I am doing more water changes with Flint’s high bioload, but he is handsome and welcome and I don’t mind. Parameters are fine; I check nitrates and ammonia twice a week. It is just a matter of sweeping up after him. 🙂 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 1

Animal kingdom photo dump. Went on Saturday.

From the world of Pandora (Avatar):

IMG_6869.jpeg

IMG_6870.jpeg

I’ve been told all these things light up at night but I was on the daytime schedule.

IMG_6872.jpeg

IMG_6873.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

IMG_6876.jpeg

IMG_6877.jpeg

IMG_6878.jpeg

IMG_6879.jpeg

And other things:

(Zoom in to see the sponsor, hehe)

IMG_6880.jpeg

Lion King show

IMG_6887.jpeg

Lemur

IMG_6885.jpeg

Carnosaur

IMG_6891.jpeg

IMG_6892.jpeg

IMG_6897.jpeg

IMG_6898.jpeg

IMG_6900.jpeg

IMG_6901.jpeg

IMG_6902.jpeg

IMG_6904.jpeg

IMG_6905.jpeg

Red-breasted geese

IMG_6907.jpeg

IMG_6909.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Video of some of the Festival of the Lion King show. Also The Lion Sleeps Tonight was a sing-along which was really fun. The tribe members sang the lyrics and one section of crowd was weemaweps. My section had the oooohweeeeeeeeeeooohweeeeeoooohhweeebummbummbuhwehhhhh! 😂

https://youtu.be/SoreB6HMkpk?si=21PziUQrYo_beN4y

And now a pop quiz for you Lion King fans out there. What do you call a problem free philosophy? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 1/22/2024 at 6:33 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Flint is in full flare cleaning up Snail Cookie crumbs (kelp, BSFL, Etc)

IMG_6932.jpeg

IMG_6930.jpeg

His bristles grew some; I can tell.

Seeing Flint showing off, im regretting not getting a long fin pleco myself 😁

• Like 1

Got a nifty pothos holder for Geppetto’s tank. It’s nice & compact and I chose the one with the open bottom so the roots can go through. The scotch tape/twisty tie I was previously using would shift around every time I took the lid off to do maintenance.

IMG_6939.jpeg

IMG_6942.jpeg

IMG_6944.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Boy it has been an interesting couple of days. I landed a new job but could not start it Monday due to illness (ya know, the one that turned 2020 into a dumpster fire. This is my first time experiencing it). So I will start next week. Since Friday I’ve been in bed most of the time. I do have small bits of energy at times and can get tiny things done, like changing the water in the bird bath and feeding the wildlife. Then I have to rest again because I get winded. 

I’ve been relying on Repashy to primarily feed my snail friends and pleco. I drop this in in the middle of the night because I usually wake up at 3am for some reason. During the day I give the fish live worms. I have to tend to the cultures anyway which I’ve been doing with just flake food, and the colonies are healthy and active. None of the fish have made any complaints about this diet thus far. I sat down at the table after a feeding yesterday and saw the pristellas doing a mating dance. Always fun to see. They do it when they have food they really love. 

Today my HOB was not working. Instead of a waterfall I had a slight glistening on the outflow. 🙄 We took on a roommate (temporarily) who had filled up the sinks and countertops with dirty dishes while I slept 🙄🙄 so I took the HOB outside and hosed it out. I got after the impeller with the toothbrush and now it is working, but I’m tired. 

I managed to unload the dishwasher and free up one sink so I can get to some water that I can temp control. I plan to do a water change next. I usually do it Sunday, but I let it go since the nitrates were 20.  It’s unsightly is all, due to Flint, but hey. He’s so handsome right? He was flaring again the other day 😍.  In all his glory.  He also is well aware of the food dish and has been more forthcoming to participate when room service arrives. 

Anyway, what with the HOB situation, I feel it’s not right for my animals if I put off the water change any longer. I just need to ensure I keep my buckets light (2gal) and just do more trips so I do not overexert. I usually just change 5gal. I have a 29gal tank but with the deep substrate 5gal seems to be 25% if we divide the tank horizontally into 4 sections, from substrate to water line, which is never at the rim so the snails can go up and lay their eggs.

Taking a little tea break now and then I will get started. I will get the new water ready first so I can just stand in one spot and get everything done at once. I had another kasa wifi timer come in which maybe I can setup for my HOB before I get started. So there is no more plugging and unplugging going forward. That will be handy. And I don’t even think I would need to use the app for this one. I just want to push the button when it’s maintenance time. Easy peasy.

• Like 5

Ok I got the Kasa wifi timer hooked up and connected to the app, and I got the water change done.

IMG_7003.jpeg.38cdb86ec9e43e7da5cf3a8b4fb640a4.jpeg

I dropped some pellets in for Geppetto and I noticed something on his head. Now he’s been known to adorn himself with a sand grain on occasion or a piece of algae he swam under. Hoping this is the case, but not sure so I put 2 big leaves in there and a rooibos tea bag. I couldn’t remember what salt level would be safe for the shrimps so I didn’t add salt.

IMG_7006.jpeg

IMG_7007.jpeg

IMG_7009.jpeg

IMG_7010.jpeg

IMG_7011.jpeg
I tucked the leaves into plants to keep them underwater. It’s looks weird but oh well. It is ok for now

• Like 3

On 2/6/2024 at 7:46 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I got after the impeller with the toothbrush and now it is working, but I’m tired. 

Dang....

It's why I suffer through the tidal issues for so long, they just work.

Feel better, hopefully a swift recovery for you and those around.... And that the new work is challenging and fulfilling. 🙂

On 2/6/2024 at 9:51 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Ok I got the Kasa wifi timer hooked up and connected to the app, and I got the water change done.

It's like at some point the lights will just come with the plug in wifi timers so they can claim it on the box....  Well done. That makes life a bit easier!

On 2/6/2024 at 7:46 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I had another kasa wifi timer come in which maybe I can setup for my HOB before I get started. So there is no more plugging and unplugging going forward. That will be handy. And I don’t even think I would need to use the app for this one. I just want to push the button when it’s maintenance time. Easy peasy.

Exactly! I have one on the heaters for sure. For hobs as well. Skimmer or whatever auxiliary pumps, it's helpful.  It's so frustrating to pull the plug off the wall every time because the studs aren't in the right spot or something.

Again, feel better. Rest up as best you can.

• Thanks 1

Geppetto is now at a level 1 salt. The shrimps and the MTS don’t mind it. In fact, the MTS came out more. I read a comment somewhere earlier today that they can live in brackish water too. Interesting. As well as in radioactive substances. (Jk)

The white spot on Geppetto’s head seems neither better nor worse. I wonder if he bonked it on that decoration in there trying to catch a shrimp. It is not sharp, but I think it’s possible and now it’s a little infected. He is in good spirits with plenty of exercising all over his tank, so I’m not overly worried. It does not look like ich but maybe fungal; not sure. Tannins are pretty dark now vs the previous pic I had posted: the combo of several large catappa leaves and rooibos. The shrimps are enjoying the catappa for lunch too, lol. You know I’ve been seeing shrimplets in there as well.

In the 5.5g the ember tetras are doing well but there is an unsightly brown soft algae that has developed on the sand, the anubias, and the walls. I cleaned up the walls and did a siphoning which helped. The anubias don’t look that great (yellowing) but I hesitate to put any more fertilizer due to the algae. I could also tell these fish were uncomfortable with very little hiding space. I did like the scape and it was different than my norm, but I need to do better for them. I took one lava rock out and I floated a long plastic plant in there. They were instantly weaving in and out of the plant, and I could tell they like that. I feel like I need to revamp the tank again and take the rocks out in favor of more live plants. I may just take the route I have in the past by submerging some pothos vines. They hold up for a long time submerged and there is nothing to buy. Also my pothos plant needs a trim.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 5:34 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The white spot on Geppetto’s head seems neither better nor worse. I wonder if he bonked it on that decoration in there trying to catch a shrimp. It is not sharp, but I think it’s possible and now it’s a little infected. He is in good spirits with plenty of exercising all over his tank, so I’m not overly worried. It does not look like ich but maybe fungal; not sure. Tannins are pretty dark now vs the previous pic I had posted: the combo of several large catappa leaves and rooibos. The shrimps are enjoying the catappa for lunch too, lol. You know I’ve been seeing shrimplets in there as well.

May or may not be related to what's going on, but this is worth a listen.

His head looks to have that darkening on it indicated from the video as a common issue.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:51 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

IMG_7006.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The spot on Geppetto’s head was not improving, nor was it getting any worse. The treatment was salt and catappa. After a few days of monitoring and moving the shrimps out, I started him on ich-x. Here was yesterday:

IMG_7082.jpeg

IMG_7083.jpeg

IMG_7084.jpeg

IMG_7085.jpeg

And here is today, much improved

IMG_7092.jpeg

IMG_7093.jpeg

P.S. 3rd photo looks like a bunch of spots, but those are not on him. Those are limpets on the glass and some particulates in the water.

• Like 2

Great news! With just 2 days of ich x and salt, the dot on his head is gone. While I don’t think it was ich (because the dots didn’t multiply), the Fritz disease chart recommends an ich med for like 3 different diseases that have dots as symptoms, so I felt I had a good chance of success going this course.

IMG_7096.jpeg

IMG_7097.jpeg

IMG_7098.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Folks, I’m confuzzled. Geppetto had a spot on his head. I cured it with ich x. I waited a few days before changing the water to let him soak in the medicine (similar to med trio instructions). It was ok for a week but then the spot came back. And a second one. So I retreated him. Spots gone. But now it looks like 2 of his scales have lost pigment and/or maybe are sticking out, but not in pineconing style. It’s kinda like they are elongated/pulling out? Not sure. It is very difficult to spot and he has to turn juuuuuust right for me to see it. Hence no photos. I did a 30% water change to begin to dilute the ich x, and he has catappa leaves in there, but I don’t know what to make of this or what to even treat for. He’s in good spirits: does the wiggle butt dance when I approach; even made a small bubble nest. Ideally I’d like to feed a medicated food, as I have several varieties in stock. @Colu

Also to my surprise there is a shrimp still in there! A juvenile. Probably grew up inside the heater or the cholla. I still have a few shrimp huts in there too. Lots of places for it to have taken shelter. This shrimp has been through 2 rounds of ich x and salt and doesn’t seem affected.

I’ve been posting less because I have a new job with a longer commute, and I’ve also been working at home some days and evenings. Family came in from out of state and whatnot too. I’ve been keeping up with tank maintenance but I haven’t been able to really sit in front of the tanks much which is a bummer. 

What I can tell you is Flint the bristlenose pleco is such a handsome guy, and is often right out in the open. He catches my eye quite a bit! When he flares his fins look so majestic, and his whiskers are starting to get longer too. He is well aware of where the food dish is and can often be found chilling in there, even when it’s not mealtime. The other fish do tend to outcompete him for food, so I like to offer veggies as well as drop Repashy in after lights out. He goes around and cleans the walls after dark, I noticed, and there is no food left in the morning, so I know he and the snails have been getting their fair share while the other fish sleep.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2024 at 7:49 PM, Colu said:

How big are the spots are they raised or flat any visible holes or sunken in areas on the head@Chick-In-Of-TheSea

The spots are gone, they were raised and white and there were only 2. Sunken areas “maybe”. He has a very dark head and the tannins make it tricky to tell.

This is what the dot on his head looked like before:

image.jpeg.c49b47620a99ff3c213c4f5e84d23b6c.jpeg