On 2/3/2023 at 1:25 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

He pulls basically everything that isn't blue. On the ones that are black he mentions that usually they are a dark blue.  If you don't see any blue, he pulls me. He has a good amount of videos working with his blue dreams, but the one linked he says the same thing.

He pulls ones that look like carbon rili (that causes the black), reds, chocolate, and others that just don't look right.

When moving fry he does drip acclimate if he needs to. He also says that most of his tanks have identical parameters and he's changing water every ~3-4 days.  Always fun to watch him do his stuff. 😂

Looks a bit like a carbon rili shrimp. This is the same black one as before or a new one?

Screenshot_20230203-102837.png

The pic I posted is the brownish one, but I do have a blue one that looks like the first (larger) photo you posted.

On 2/3/2023 at 1:25 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

This is the same black one as before or a new one

Different one. I have the pure jet black one, the blue carbon rilii lookin’ one, and the brown one. How did I end up with all these varieties?!

• Like 1

Geppetto’s dorsal fin is reverting back. Why??? Water parameters are consistent. 0/0/10. PH 7.5. Temp 80. The only thing I noticed was some mulm collecting and the sponge filter was clogged. Could TDS cause this? I did a 20% water change, replaced the salt and the tannins, and cleaned the sponge filter. Fingers crossed. I plan to do a 20% water change again tomorrow. 

You can see how nicely his tail is regrowing though. Again i think about the heater and whether it might be burning his fin when he goes under it. I don’t know if that’s a valid concern or not.

6436068E-511C-4BD5-AB25-EA8CAF89AFB1.png

76F3353A-2400-40DC-A1E7-6E0D4DF193AB.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Sad 1

I placed another co op order to get an ACO heater for Geppetto. I think it’s safer for him and I’m trying to eliminate variables that may cause him harm.

Another rock swim thru is coming as well, a lighter colored one. Right now he has 5 swim thrus in the tank. For some reason he doesn’t like the clay pot tunnel though. It’s on an angle where he can dive down through it, but seems he only likes the ones he can swim horizontally thru. The rock swim thrus are clever. They really don’t work against the scape. 

11985025-BA2A-4C52-861B-8DD4969E0217.jpeg.1810d0328de5606bcdb6086ec739e87d.jpeg

And he uses the pothos as his leaf hammocks 🙂   Is he spoiled or what?  I dragged bloodworms through the water today and he chased them.  He shows violent tendencies pretty often, not just for eating worms, but for any movement around his tank he’s unfamiliar with, so I am certain he can not have any fishy friends.

Check out the lily @Guppysnail! I should move it, it’s currently in a sword fight. ⚔️

ADBA5A75-9F22-492D-88C0-A5E42F417426.jpeg.cd63091df94678e482fb95d2975ccade.jpeg

(Featuring a photobomber…)

sword

222C818F-0067-49D0-9A5F-63432CBFF7A8.jpeg.3194543b0ae14cef20e8328114f40721.jpeg

cryp

A88C0518-94F9-4521-B19B-F109D02199A7.jpeg.c79802eb3972c30fee2a72ec289abf94.jpeg 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/5/2023 at 4:37 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I placed another co op order to get an ACO heater for Geppetto. I think it’s safer for him and I’m trying to eliminate variables that may cause him harm.

Not apples to apples, but I did see a video to answer your question!

Discus keeper and their heater failed so the tank was Ice cold. They replaced it and then went ahead and checked in on the fish for a few days. They were literally huddled against the heater for almost a day to get warm. I don't think the fins are having issues because of the heat.

Might just be a difficult strain and need some kanaplex

Screenshot_20230205-092037.png

Screenshot_20230205-092045.png

• Sad 2

On 2/5/2023 at 11:16 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Not apples to apples, but I did see a video to answer your question!

Discus keeper and their heater failed so the tank was Ice cold. They replaced it and then went ahead and checked in on the fish for a few days. They were literally huddled against the heater for almost a day to get warm. I don't think the fins are having issues because of the heat.

Might just be a difficult strain and need some kanaplex

Screenshot_20230205-092037.png

Screenshot_20230205-092045.png

My rams did that after a power outage; sat by the heater until the tank warmed up; unfortunately they both came down with bloat a few days later and died.... so you have to check the fishes for a couple of weeks before you know if you are out of the woods (a few years ago we had a 16 hour power outage after a tornado - tank went down to low 70's i think which was enough to kill the rams but not much else).

• Sad 2

Yesterday Geppetto went into quarantine again because his fin issue returned.  He has had one dose of Kanaplex so far.  He's doing well, is active, and ate good this morning.  His new rock swim through arrived, but it is EXTREMELY rough and jagged on the inside!  So that will not be hitting the water whatsoever; I'm returning it.

• Sad 2

On 2/6/2023 at 4:21 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Yesterday Geppetto went into quarantine again because his fin issue returned.  He has had one dose of Kanaplex so far.  He's doing well, is active, and ate good this morning.  His new rock swim through arrived, but it is EXTREMELY rough and jagged on the inside!  So that will not be hitting the water whatsoever; I'm returning it.

Sorry that he (and you!) have been having a rough time. 😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guess who was discharged from the hospital today?  

435318C1-CD4D-4077-A66B-FC52C862681B.jpeg.b6fe438c04df9ee1cb157316ffb5e644.jpeg

We have the green light on for a change (Just for the photo). Lights out now so he can relax.

He doesn’t seem concerned at all and is diving down and exploring his familiar territory again. ACO heater has been installed. Has a built in heater guard so it’s safer if he swims under it. He was swimming under the last heater frequently.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

After just a day Geppetto has a fin problem again. I’m over on the disease forums. They think maybe he is flaring his fins and since they were in the middle of healing, they ripped during the flare. So the idea is to eliminate stressors. No idea what could be a stressor. They are saying maybe tank reflections. Not sure how to tell if he sees a reflection. His flaring is so sporadic. It’s not like, every time he approaches left wall he flares. Plus the time of day and lighting play a factor, I am sure. I’m so confused. Just maintaining clean water with the salt and almond leaf extract until I can figure things out.

I saw a detritus worm free swimming in the 29 yesterday. A black neon saw it too and gulped it down. Hooray for the food web!

On 2/11/2023 at 10:35 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

They are saying maybe tank reflections. Not sure how to tell if he sees a reflection. His flaring is so sporadic. It’s not like, every time he approaches left wall he flares. Plus the time of day and lighting play a factor, I am sure. I’m so confused.

That vinyl film, apply that to the sides. Or the black paint or something. It helps to reduce reflections. For a lot of QT or Betta setups it's common to have the back and sides blocked. 😞

I'll check out the disease section!

On 2/11/2023 at 10:35 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I saw a detritus worm free swimming in the 29 yesterday. A black neon saw it too and gulped it down. Hooray for the food web!

😂 See.... This is why I have more than just Corydoras now. In the 29 wormageddon tank. Very cool.

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:22 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I could Put something temporary on the sides though.

Posted in that section.  Yeah, for sure.  The uh... vinyl stuff you can add/remove as you see fit.  It is tight against the glass, spritz some water and it's back on the glass.

It's an adjustment at first, but 3-sided tanks are actually nice to have for QT or just for a sensitive fish. 

Even something like noise pollution, vibration, that could be at play here too.

• Thanks 1

Got up, got coffee. Let’s chill and just enjoy the tank. Sipppp… ahhh… oh no. Oh God no. DISEASE!!!  

Fortunately only one fellow (or gal) affected. Yet to ID it. Leaning towards ich-x or jungle fizz as treatment but nothing added to qt tank yet @Colu The bump on his body is raised and white. He has one on his dorsal fin as well. 

Also changed out 50% Geppetto’s Kanaplex water and added tannins back. The other 50% will get changed tomorrow. He is doing well.

Lastly, way too much junk floating around in the 29g, so I guess today is the day to disassemble and do the deep clean on the HOB. Something I’ve been putting off. But maybe that’s why the fellow got ill. You can see the mess in the photos; it’s ridiculous. I did a bandaid fix of adding extra floss to the filter but it didn’t really solve it. Something filtrationwise is just not working. I have a sponge filter running in that tank also but it is not resolving the issue. All media gets rinsed in tank water once a week.

4E075812-E9AB-4E22-A48D-78A0D57DA541.jpeg

6606CC30-99D9-4806-8143-2A33241D1CBD.jpeg

1579177E-874B-41F5-BF94-28271BBBC811.jpeg

A82FA01E-807C-46C9-B444-D2A529B1B5D7.jpeg

81F4578B-24F4-4EB9-9EF5-81DEB33C5D82.jpeg

521CDB7B-A0F4-497B-AA40-9822CFD631C7.jpeg

F28A9275-63C7-4022-85C5-3DBBFFABE00D.jpeg

8F1699DC-B526-478A-83D5-FAE606788DC8.jpeg

E49E6F6D-7D78-47D8-9DB4-291A3D8516E9.jpeg

On 2/19/2023 at 8:17 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Aren’t they the group that had columnaris? 

I had 2 occurrences of columnaris, yes. Today’s issue is not columnaris though. Columnaris is flat grayish patches. This issue is white and raised, rounded dots. Nothing new was added to tank but I did transfer two mystery snails over from the shrimp tank. I would hate to think ich; doesn’t ich come from an external source, such as bringing in a new fish? I didn’t think it would just develop in an established tank.

Level 1 salt added to QT.