Bristlenose pleco

Phillip

Mine are great parents. I leave the fry until they start getting to quick. Then I start pulling them because if I don’t and they hit juvenile stage I will never catch them all. Took me a month to catch 2 of these that I did not get out with the group. 🤣

On 5/27/2022 at 4:42 PM, Guppysnail said:

Mine are great parents. I leave the fry until they start getting to quick. Then I start pulling them because if I don’t and they hit juvenile stage I will never catch them all. Took me a month to catch 2 of these that I did not get out with the group. 🤣

Lol yeah I had a hard time getting the boys parents in the tank! Where do you put them when you pull them?

On 5/27/2022 at 7:16 PM, Phillip said:

Lol yeah I had a hard time getting the boys parents in the tank! Where do you put them when you pull them?

I bought a 20long and used established filters. Keeping water quality low nitrate was hard. These kids eat almost their body weight in veggies and food each day.  Some batches I had to split in other tanks. My girl lays monthly like clockwork but the babies take 3-4 months to grow out.(edit to correct) Every clutch gets bigger as she gets older. I’m estimating there were 120-150 eggs in her last drop. My dad is a great dad so survival to free swim stage is very high. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 8:25 PM, Brian said:

Did you mean to say this?  I think any of the Plecos I have spawned has been 3 or so days depending on temperature.

No I meant to grow to an acceptable size to rehome. Hubby started talking to me while I was typing. Thanks for that catch. I’ll correct it. They do only take 3 days to hatch. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 8:51 PM, lefty o said:

i myself wouldnt bother in a single species tank. even in my community tank, if i let them have a place to breed, i get over run with baby pleco's in a hurry.

You ain’t kidding!  I had 3 or 4, maybe more, spawns b4 I figured out that I needed to shut down the cycle.  Took 6 months to sell ‘‘em all. B3C1952A-F59A-4FDB-B336-5F8E6C4E1D73.jpeg.9603ea744a0dc320ea96960bdcbc4690.jpeg

7F514612-4E8F-42AB-BD20-9D84C368E638.jpeg.f3ab2636f796133c2df593bc933e9697.jpeg

It was fun, so many water changes🙃

A7392C63-E236-4138-87F4-C27B21BC2F2F.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 10:32 PM, Ken Burke said:

You ain’t kidding!  I had 3 or 4, maybe more, spawns b4 I figured out that I needed to shut down the cycle.  Took 6 months to sell ‘‘em all. 

Wow! They’re everywhere lol

• Thanks 1

For the bristlenose I remove them when the to a 10g the has two small sponge filters. I have pieces of driftwood. I want the to grow quickly and to move them out. If you are not selling them or not in a rush I don’t think there’s reason to rush removing them. I want the parents to lay again as soon as possible. 

• Like 2

I took this as I was bagging up one of the first spawns. In my journal is the entire journey with several spawns  I listed out where I did right and things I did wrong to avoid  if your interested just scroll through pictures  I put pictures of them when I talked about them.  

7022CACE-1337-485C-AB84-8B4C185593DA.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 5:01 AM, Guppysnail said:

I took this as I was bagging up one of the first spawns. In my journal is the entire journey with several spawns  I listed out where I did right and things I did wrong to avoid  if your interested just scroll through pictures  I put pictures of them when I talked about them.  

7022CACE-1337-485C-AB84-8B4C185593DA.jpeg

I didn’t think u were bragging.  But love ur lemons!

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:11 AM, Ken Burke said:

bragging

🤣 Bagging as in taking them to the store in bags. I remove all plants and hardscape so they were all visible at once. This is half the tank the other side has just as many 😲

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:34 AM, Guppysnail said:

🤣 Bagging as in taking them to the store in bags. I remove all plants and hardscape so they were all visible at once. This is half the tank the other side has just as many 😲

What a difference one letter makes🥺

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 8:51 PM, lefty o said:

i myself wouldnt bother in a single species tank. even in my community tank, if i let them have a place to breed, i get over run with baby pleco's in a hurry.

I'm shocked that my nannacara amolae is able to keep my pleco population under control. He is the most patient hunter i've ever seen. He spends all day long motionless just waiting for frys to exit the cave. Not the prettiest dwarf cichild but to date my favorite.

On 5/28/2022 at 3:27 PM, Ken Burke said:

I don’t use bag, so my mind just didn’t go dat way.

I use a reusable storage Twist n lock container by Ziplock. no rubber bands, easy to fill, and reusable. 

https://ziploc.com/en/Products/Containers/Round/Containers-Twist-N-Loc-Medium

I use ziploc freezer bags with the corners taped.  The containers are a great idea though. 

• Thanks 1