How many...

Apulo

I have exactly one, and it's only used to store my large gravel vac with it's 30' of hose.  I use a 2.5 gallon white bucket with a pouring spout that I got at PetSmart for carrying water (at this stage in life I'd rather carry half the weight, even if it means making twice as many trips; especially since I have to lift it up to shoulder height for the 65 gallon).

• Like 1

Good question! Every time I buy a new one for water changes it gets used for something else like storing rinsed substrate, holding weeds from the garden, car wash, bike wash, shop waste bin, wood scraps. Just yesterday I was thinking I need to get another one. 

• Haha 2

On 4/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, Patrick_G said:

Good question! Every time I buy a new one for water changes it gets used for something else like storing rinsed substrate, holding weeds from the garden, car wash, bike wash, shop waste bin, wood scraps. Just yesterday I was thinking I need to get another one. 

honestly, you cant have too many buckets.

• Like 4

I have a car wash bucket- I found them better than the hardware store buckets as the handle is infinitely more comfortable to use, it has markings on the inside for volume (not that others don't) and it's an oval, which makes dumping a whole lot easier. (I do bucket changes on my small tanks- no fancy python stuff)

I have two 5-gallon Ace buckets for dirty water (though I usually just use one) and four 1-gallon jugs for clean water. Water changes can be a bit tedious on my 40 gallon; I typically change 20-25%, which works out to two wastewater buckets and three trips to the sink with 2 jugs in each hand. But there's no way I'm holding up a 5 gallon bucket high enough to fill up the tank, and the jugs came free with juice.

On 4/8/2022 at 6:08 AM, Apulo said:

Home Depot or Lowe's buckets do you own?

My two tanks total 20 gallons and I have four. I might have a problem.

one for plants. one for water. one for fish. and one in case. 4 is the norm for me!  I usually have the nets or hoses or whatever in a bucket. 3 stacked up. (bucket lids are so useful too for covering hardscape, for covering fish if they need a place to sit while you do a deep clean, so many uses.

If you have a 55g+ get 4. If you have something less, I think 3 is where you are with the buckets.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:30 AM, drewzero1 said:

I typically change 20-25%, which works out to two wastewater buckets and three trips to the sink with 2 jugs in each hand. But there's no way I'm holding up a 5 gallon bucket high enough to fill up the tank, and the jugs came free with juice.

Exactly! I am getting pretty good at draining the needed water while using the other bucket filled with tank water to clean sponges.  Needless to say, a stepstool is your friend. For smaller tanks I will set the bucket there and use a cup or something to slowly add water.  Eventually you can use the bucket, but I have so many issues (even with a python) disturbing the substrate.  Why python doesnt have a T piece or baffle to help ease flow when filling the tank.....

There's a free product for someone.  I've seen custom versions of people using pvc parts to achieve the affect.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:13 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have 6 from ace hardware that are 6 gallons so I can fill with 5 and have slop room to not spill at the top. I customize mine with squishy handles and red handles mean dirty water only. I know I have a problem. 

0060AA82-BAAD-47B6-81AF-487B3F5438DC.jpeg

B129AF34-164B-4F1F-8291-9722528CFB28.jpeg

I need to go to ACE to buy my buckets. My blue buckets keep cracking in the bottom...😏

• Like 1

I have three! And I label them for clean water vs dirty water too 😄

F63B7704-8BF2-4DC4-B82E-8DD0441C0052.jpeg.004135a0bf5babbcc53977c5ee0dc0bb.jpeg

Instinctually I made the dark blue bucket for dirty water… and then I realized that you never need to see what’s in clean water but you OFTEN need to see what’s in the dirty water! Did I slurp up any fry?? How many snails are in there??

• Like 3

On 4/8/2022 at 2:02 PM, Hobbit said:

I have three! And I label them for clean water vs dirty water too 😄

F63B7704-8BF2-4DC4-B82E-8DD0441C0052.jpeg.004135a0bf5babbcc53977c5ee0dc0bb.jpeg

Instinctually I made the dark blue bucket for dirty water… and then I realized that you never need to see what’s in clean water but you OFTEN need to see what’s in the dirty water! Did I slurp up any fry?? How many snails are in there??

yup, white buckets are best for finding those critters you accidently sucked up.