Bristlenose pleco help

Phillip

Does anyone have any tricks for getting a bristlenose pleco out of a planted tank?? I have a male in one tank and a female in another. I’d like to pull them and put in a breeder tank, but I can’t catch them!! At this point it’s almost easier to get 2 new ones for the breeder tank lol

• Like 1

I use a med or large coop net. I slowly chase them with it through the plants until they are in a front corner. Then catty corner them with the net in the corner until they are on the front glass and smoosh the net to the glass. Moving the net in a circular motion they dart away into the mesh. 
I have also chased them into a cave or clear glass(always afraid I will someday break they glass though). Then lift cave/ glass fish and water out with my hand over the opening. Hope that helps. They are FAST💨 

On 4/8/2022 at 8:07 AM, Guppysnail said:

I use a med or large coop net. I slowly chase them with it through the plants until they are in a front corner. Then catty corner them with the net in the corner until they are on the front glass and smoosh the net to the glass. Moving the net in a circular motion they dart away into the mesh. 
I have also chased them into a cave or clear glass(always afraid I will someday break they glass though). Then lift cave/ glass fish and water out with my hand over the opening. Hope that helps. They are FAST💨 

They are fast. I’ve been trying for a couple day to catch them lol

On 4/8/2022 at 9:41 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Take out all the decor they’ll hide behind - heaters, wood, stones etc and use the 2 net  techniques you can put food you know they’ll go for in the net that worked for me 2 x before they figured it out.

I’m going to give a shot this afternoon and see if I can get them. 

On 4/8/2022 at 1:27 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

the fish, especially bottom feeders are very skiddish. I highly recommend anyone who is netting fish to follow the co-op method.

Awesome video, thanks! Is should’ve known Cory had a video. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 11:12 PM, Ken Burke said:

B E A utiful fish!  For future reference, my male hangs in his cave all day.  I just reach in and move the cave.  Female on the other hand, totally different

That’s funny , mine are the exact opposite! 

• Haha 1

Mine are easy. They get some freeze-dried tubifex worms every afternoon around four pressed on the right front glass of the tanks. They start lining up and I can handpick them as I'm putting on the worm cubes. They are singularly focused on the worms and nothing else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 8:00 AM, gardenman said:

Mine are easy. They get some freeze-dried tubifex worms every afternoon around four pressed on the right front glass of the tanks. They start lining up and I can handpick them as I'm putting on the worm cubes. They are singularly focused on the worms and nothing else. 

Too kewl!

• 4 weeks later...