Using Purigen

Waricks

I have a 29 gallon planted tank that has a couple chunks of wood. I soaked the wood for two weeks changing the water every day. When it came time to add the wood to the tank I didn’t notice any color change to the soaking water. A few days after the wood went in the tank the water was pretty dark from the wood. I spoke with my local fish store and they recommended the use of purigen in my filter. It did an amazing job and the tank remains crystal clear. 

my question is - Will the use of purigen effect my plants?  

702531D3-412F-4306-BD8D-A174A63D1D7F.jpeg

• Like 1

I didn’t affect mine.   It is not supposed to intake minerals. It does not eliminate nitrate just some organics. Someone really good with planted tanks on here recommended it to me. I’ve been using it for a few months and my plants are doing great. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 12:20 PM, Waricks said:

it may pull out some nutrients for "difficult" plants but purigen really isn't the way to handle what you're going through. give the wood time to soak, let it leech out what it's going to leech out. If you're really worried about the color of the tank, then just go ahead and do water changes over time. You'll get caught up and you'll see the tank adjust.

I used purigen a few times and it's definitely more of a hassle than anything. I would only use it in times of severe need because it's a pain to recycle it. I had 2-4 bags I would swap out over and over.

• Like 3

See, I’m not a huge fan of the tannins.  I’m not a fan of recharging it, but I use it in one tank.  When it’s done I’ll chuck it.

I had not thought about it pulling nutrients from the water though.  I need tho think about it some more. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 2:42 PM, Streetwise said:

I am not a fan of Purigen. As far as I can tell, it is composed of microplastics, which can only be reset with a risky bleach treatment. If you are using wood, enjoy the tannins.

Thank you for this. I am contemplating getting rid of the purigen and going back to standard filtration. My concern with the tannins is that the darker water blocks the light that the plants need. 

Maybe the tannins have leached out now and I can go without the purigen. 

i use and love seachem products  i use Purigen   an love it but i never try to try to recharge/recycle it  heard of problems ,,   i rather just replace and add new  i replace mine every 3 months 

rather it is the pre-bag one  or the one you measure yourself  and bag yourself    

the pre-bag one from Amazon they have where you can buy 2 bag deals 

but i have measure out too and put in a Small media bag  with very small holes 

• Like 3

On 4/5/2022 at 1:04 AM, Waricks said:

Thank you for this. I am contemplating getting rid of the purigen and going back to standard filtration. My concern with the tannins is that the darker water blocks the light that the plants need. 

Maybe the tannins have leached out now and I can go without the purigen. 

My plants thrive when I run tannin tanks. Tannins the way my brain sees it are a tree that is chalked full of needed nutrients breaking down providing more for my plants. My tannin tanks also have noticeably less algae issues. 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 5:04 AM, Bev C said:

i use and love seachem products  i use Purigen   an love it but i never try to try to recharge/recycle it  heard of problems ,,   i rather just replace and add new  i replace mine every 3 months 

rather it is the pre-bag one  or the one you measure yourself  and bag yourself    

the pre-bag one from Amazon they have where you can buy 2 bag deals 

but i have measure out too and put in a Small media bag  with very small holes 

Depending on the situation and use, you might be better off running carbon if that is the case.

If you're running a planted tank you really don't need either one. Carbon is used specifically for removing meds for most hobbyists, but something like fine particles or other things in excess they have varieties of fine pads that would do the work without having to generate as much waste.

The co-op does sell these as well:
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/type_filter-media

Edited by nabokovfan87
Added video and co-op link
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 6:31 PM, Streetwise said:

@Waricks, even with massive tannins, I haven’t pushed my lights past 50%.

Thanks that is good info!  My I ask which light you are using. I am researching lights right now as I want to upgrade. Right now I am seriously considering the Fluval Plant 3.0. 

On 4/6/2022 at 2:26 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's the best one you can get. Not even close. I have multiple of the fluval lights and they are extremely durable.

I have dropped my Fluval 3.0 light into the tank with no ill effects, extremely durable.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2022 at 2:55 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have to agree with @Streetwise and others enjoy the tannins they are beneficial to your tank. My use of purigen I spoke of is for source water averaging 20-30ppm nitrates to start with plus heavy stock. 

Does the purigen reduce nitrates?

• 9 months later...

Any good hacks for recharging purigen? When I look at the cost of dechlorinator and the amount Seachem suggest to use for a recharge it doesn't seem like its worth reusing a 10 dollar 100ml bag for the cost. That being said my MTS has gotten to the point where I need to start being more cost conscience if I am going to keep using it. 

I mainly like the clarity of the water I get and don't really care too much about whether it does/doesn't have other benefits.  

On 4/9/2022 at 10:37 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Marc from what I understand it does not remove Nitrates, what it does is essentially soaks in/traps decomposing material to slow down growth of ammonia, nitrite- which will over time equate to less nitrate as it is the final product after bacterial typically consumes these things. 

This is correct

On 1/12/2023 at 8:33 PM, PlaneFishGuy said:

Any good hacks for recharging purigen? When I look at the cost of dechlorinator and the amount Seachem suggest to use for a recharge it doesn't seem like its worth reusing a 10 dollar 100ml bag for the cost. That being said my MTS has gotten to the point where I need to start being more cost conscience if I am going to keep using it. 

I mainly like the clarity of the water I get and don't really care too much about whether it does/doesn't have other benefits.  

I buy in bulk and just toss it every 6 months. A $25 container from Amazon will last you a couple of years when measured correctly, unless you have a massive tank.

On 1/12/2023 at 8:08 PM, RennjiDK said:

This is correct

I buy in bulk and just toss it every 6 months. A $25 container from Amazon will last you a couple of years when measured correctly, unless you have a massive tank.

@RennjiDK do you have a preferred media bag for Purigen - I run aquaclear HoBs ranging from the 20 to 110.  

On 1/12/2023 at 9:15 PM, PlaneFishGuy said:

@RennjiDK do you have a preferred media bag for Purigen - I run aquaclear HoBs ranging from the 20 to 110.  

As long as it's fine enough to hold it, I don't. I buy media bags in bulk from Amazon for all my systems. Just look for something labeled "ultra fine" and search the reviews/q&a for purigen specifically, then match the physical size needed.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 12:20 PM, Waricks said:

According to Seachem, no.

It's very similar to water softener or other resins used to remove "stuff" from the water. Unfortunately there's not really a color guide to what is going on and what is being removed. The best you'll get from seachem is that it removes "what is in excess".

Very strange to me.

So.... When it comes to tannins I would encourage you to do a few things. First, soak it (which you did), but just understand that the point of organics in the water is to have that benefit. Wood has aufwuchs which is something that fish and inverts do graze on. It's a good thing, so don't be afraid of having a slight coloration to the water.  Secondly, if you're have a massive amount of tannins then you would do best to remove those with water changes.  If you're changing 30%, try 40% and see if that gives you the clarity that you're looking for.

I have two tanks, one of them has mopani that is over 5 years old and it still leeches a ton of tannins for me. The other I have is ghostwood (similar in some ways to manzanita but bigger) and it is a crystal clear tank. Neither of them have carbon. One has a HoB and the other has sponge filters.

Type of wood matters, but needless to say I think you just have to control it via maintenance and learn that there's going to be a little tinge, especially early on.

On 1/12/2023 at 6:15 PM, PlaneFishGuy said:

Get a tidal 35 branded pack of carbon and use that bag. It's wonderful. Purigen usually comes in a bag already, but I understand the question based on the above convo. 🙂

Edited by nabokovfan87

I run Purigen in my heavily stocked tank only. It is the polishing “ingredient” that tank needs to balance the overstocking on that tank. That said, I don’t attempt to refresh it, I replace as I am not confident on that process and the risks of it going wrong aren’t one I’m willing to take/pay for just yet. 
I haven’t had an issue with it taking out too much, it does seem to take “just enough” which I find bizarre (how does it do that?). I rather like it as a tool for the right application - I only run it on one of my 6 tanks but when it’s the right tool, it seems to work well. 

• Like 1