Fish room tips

Lolo8234

Sounds great! I'm about to embark on the process myself. I'm enjoying checking out other builds on youtube and learning all I can from Corey and others. I'm a planner so I'm trying to think everything through in advance. I have a husky rack with plenty of room for expansion. have some air supplies and air driven filters ready to go. Linear piston pump is next up. I know some of the fish I want to start breeding in the new tanks. I'm just taking it a little at a time, and am prepared to be flexible along the way.

So figure out what you like, think about what kind of equipment you want to run and start gathering supplies. Do a sketch of the room and start playing around with shelf/rack/tank placement. Consider the fish you want to keep and the environments they need. Bounce some of those ideas off folks here or in the live chats.

I'm not a YouTuber (yet) but I plan to document the build along the way and prep several videos in advance. Will start releasing when I have a few and see where it goes. Mostly just think it would be a fun way to interact with others in the hobby and learn a lot by doing something new.

Best of luck to you!

• Thanks 1

Plan everything twice, think about it for a while, then plan everything twice again.

be sure there is enough electrical outlets and circuits that can handle any power requirements.

things to aspire for;

central air system 

heating the whole room, which includes ventilation or dehumidifiing too.

sink and drain in the room

auto water changing

thats a little bit for a start

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Figure out what kind of fishroom and fish you want to keep. Are you going to have mainly display aquariums, or are you wanting to do a lot of breeding? If you are wanting to breed a lot of fish, you'll want tanks for growing the out to sellable size, if mainly a display tank room, pick what size tanks you'll need based upon what fish you want to keep. Plan out the layout, figuring out how best to lay the racks and tanks out. The items that @Dean’s Fishroom listed above are all things you'll want to consider for the room., I have all but the auto water change in my room and want to add that one day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watch lots of youtube videos about other people's fish rooms. The early Aquarium Coop videos by Cory of his first fish room build are gold for first time fish room builders. Dean's Fishroom, which you can mostly see on Aquarium Coop but other channels as well, is the gold standard. Other's I like include Steve Poland, TM Aquatics and Jarden Aquatics just to name a few.

Once you start developing your plans post them here for feedback. That's what I am doing for my own build.

• Thanks 1

One piece of advice that I think could really benefit you specifically, I’d have a plan for college. Being 16, I’m sure you’re doing all sorts of college tours and such. Start thinking about what’s gonna happen to the Fishroom once you graduate high school. If you’re gonna live at home and commute that’s gonna give you much more wiggle room for how much and what you could breed of that’s your goal. If you’re going somewhere out of state (like me) have a plan. Will you regime most? Will your parents be taking care of everything? One thing I’ve learned with college fish keeping is that moving just a 20 gallon tank can be a whole day in itself. I’m sure that all this feels far off, but keep it in mind as it can deeply affect what you should be doing now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like everyone has said take your time, think everything over twice if not three times, and decide what kind of fish room you want to have. I've also saved money buying used 4ft lights and covered multiple tanks. Best of luck look forward to seeing your progress.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...