The Southern-fried side-by-side 55s [turned 75s] Project

I’m sorry but I’m not sorry @Jawjagrrl! If I was to start all over again it would be with 75 gs. I have a recurring dream we buy a house with a basement and I claim one corner and place a 75 gallon on each wall with my existing tanks around them. Mmmmm it’s a beautiful vision! Congratulations on your new direction and that your 55s are holding water! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/19/2022 at 10:19 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’m sorry but I’m not sorry @Jawjagrrl! If I was to start all over again it would be with 75 gs. I have a recurring dream we buy a house with a basement and I claim one corner and place a 75 gallon on each wall with my existing tanks around them. Mmmmm it’s a beautiful vision! Congratulations on your new direction and that your 55s are holding water! 

I think there is NERM energy in my house! Someone skipped breakfast to beat the traffic and pick up these tanks, which were almost 90 minutes away. Someone called me from the store and was telling me what was in the tanks and asking questions, like what a royal pleco was 🙂Someone remembered that we got interrupted during a Dean breeding video and asked me if we could finish it! 

So now to figure out where to stow these to do leak tests. I've read some mixed reviews on these tanks, but my all-glass from 1997 is still good and these are aqueons. Hoping that the complainers were mostly people that did take the proper steps to level the tank before adding water. 🤞

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 3/21/2022 at 1:07 PM, Odd Duck said:

Sounds like Patient Spouse™ has caught the fish bug!  Excellent!  Now the only thing you will argue about is which fish to get next!

Already happened! I don't think koi angels would look as nice with geo tapajos as platinums, altums and black veils. But he really wants the angels and thinks the kois "look fun".

• Like 2

ORD. I third and agree with @Beardedbillygoat1975. I love how this is evolving.

I have a 75 that was used as a turtle tank for a long time, then it sat outside for many months, then I got it, leak tested it, and spent hours scraping scale off of it. I haven't had any leaks yet. Knock on wood.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:02 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

think there is NERM energy in my house!

ORD. 💚💚💚 I love it!

On 3/21/2022 at 10:43 PM, Minanora said:

ORD. I third and agree with @Beardedbillygoat1975. I love how this is evolving.

I have a 75 that was used as a turtle tank for a long time, then it sat outside for many months, then I got it, leak tested it, and spent hours scraping scale off of it. I haven't had any leaks yet. Knock on wood.

ORD. 💚💚💚 I love it!

I think I need to write the FAA to shut down the chicago airport so folks stop going ORD.

• Haha 5

On 3/20/2022 at 6:13 PM, Patrick_G said:

I think the percentage of these that leak is pretty low compared to how many they sell. I don’t remember anyone on the forum mentioning any leaks, and as a group we own many, many of these tanks.

I'll second @Patrick_G.  I assume you got the same brand of tanks from the same place as I have for my 75 gallon tanks when on sale (the sale here right now is screaming good!).  Mine came in with sloppy silicone, and somewhat misaligned glass.  No problem on the water test.  And my first one was up for months with no issues, though I was so paranoid about it leaking I did the water test for a week first.  🤪

Glad to see you went with the upgrade, @Jawjagrrl!

• Love 1

You guys are a bad influence! 😄 I see the 55s staying in the basement for growout, QT, plant nursery, etc. However there is no tank in the master BD...yet. I have an old pretty wrought iron stand for a 30 I had imagined in there as an open top island design with a peace lily centerpiece above tank level and some ricefish...

So far, so good on the tanks. A LOT of messy silicone to clean up on the middle of panels, frames, and some pretty sloppy corners. Will need some cleanup, but at 50% off, I can handle that.

20220320_171859.jpg.4a036803e5eac75e994a8c382b130f30.jpg

Sugar, the rescue farm frenchie is wondering what the heck this all about...

20220320_173445.jpg.80c2390c3a25672208fd03f479fca323.jpg

Filled yesterday afternoon up to the top brace. The LGDs (livestock guardian dog) think these are most excellent ergonomic dog water bowls.

20220321_152018.jpg.c6e8dce8bd075dc7068e3b19d03f2cf1.jpg

But a question for those of you that have bought this tank recently - my 55s used the 24x12 versa glass hoods, so I assumed I would need a 24x18 for these. Which I didn't see as an option. Everything was pointing to a 48x18 and the website stated these fit the aqueon 75 and 90 tanks. One piece is nice, but I didn't get to see these in person before buying and the hoods had to be shipped.

There is a center brace of course that creates two recesses with a divider that sits above the recess but below the top of the rim (you should be able to see it in the above photo if you zoom in). Did I get the wrong hood? I've got a bad feeling that these won't sit flush without some rigging. 

I like the idea of a single panel per tank, but I guess we'll see when it arrives. I also probably ordered 4 and not 2, but will see when they arrive tomorrow.

Test may be cut short as a big storm is coming through later today (ah, spring in Georgia!). Hopefully no tornadoes like the one I experienced before that ended with a 3pigs BBQ sign on top of my car! Meanwhile I've got some big ideas brewing in shrimpland (see other journal). 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 12:03 PM, Patrick_G said:

Here’s the one I have for my Aqueon 75, it’s two pieces. 

H2Pro Glass Canopy 2 Piece Set for Aqueon All Glass 75/90/110 Gallon 48x18 Aquarium Fish Tank (Each Piece Measure 22.08 x 16.57 x 0.16in) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GFWYLMM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_49X88J84YCR4FEN3AV7G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3D985E8D-C734-4C50-AFA2-68866FBD352A.jpeg

If you have a petco near you - you might check them first. They use to sell glass canopy for aqueon tank pretty cheap; I know the one for the 29 gallon is less expensive than the one amazon sells. Hum. On line it is listed about the same price - but if they are running  a sale in your area....

On 3/22/2022 at 1:31 PM, anewbie said:

If you have a petco near you - you might check them first. They use to sell glass canopy for aqueon tank pretty cheap; I know the one for the 29 gallon is less expensive than the one amazon sells. Hum. On line it is listed about the same price - but if they are running  a sale in your area....

That's where we got the tanks, but they didn't have them in stock and I had to have them shipped. Will see what arrives tomorrow.

CHAPTER THREE: Tractoring in the Woods and a surprise for Patient Spouse™ 

A week had passed when we got the chance to head back into the woods to bring back some of the hardscaping we found on our previous hike. The LGDs were happy for an adventure and were smart enough to not get trapped in the half acre of wisteria vine gone wild! Does anyone know if aged wisteria (terrestrial, not the aquatic plant) vine is safe to use? We have really great pieces, some of which are thicker than my arm! There is an old homestead remnant from the 30s back in there, and I did fine some interesting things for my scape from scraps entry...

But back to our event. Patient Spouse™ fired up the tractor and grabbed the chainsaw while I got the farm truck and dogs. Overcast, but reasonable. Gemma didn't wait for anyone, 2- or 4-footed.

20220306_131307crop.jpg.ff40894c63fb0c663055d0d80f1a5bef.jpg

It wasn't long before the chainsaw was out to clear deadfalls off the trail.

20220306_131352crop.jpg.2c5752e821941514f4717a594d4d27bb.jpg

PSA alert: Be mindful of mylar balloons and releasing them outside. They end up like this in rural spaces and pose a danger to wildlife. We find at least one every time we walk the property.

20220306_132619crop.jpg.eff2c4b63f68c9ad41f2aaeb8c344cc1.jpg

Lots of aged wood like this, but not sure about the linear nature of them for an SA setup.

20220306_134328crop.jpg.4b05ae2c537dffdd64f72e89bcc79cf7.jpg

Surprise for the Sci-fi Fans here... I found the entrance to the Upside Down!

20220306_134852crop.jpg.03774afbcce0fb5a45432c86f3f4df73.jpg

Several deadfalls later and STILL not to the stump I want yet.

20220306_135536crop.jpg.398bc94414bcc958b1009f0ec7dc8969.jpg

But I do enjoy the view this time of year before everything leafs out and it becomes too dense to see much beyond the woods.

20220306_135818crop.jpg.119d0470f161f070aa50dd3db3aa2dea.jpg

Also grabbed a sample of this interesting plant that only grows to the south of us - Ground Pine (I forget the scientific name). Could it be converted for aquatic use?

20220306_135434crop.jpg.7d11486ff2ece715f1e5a24ec055bd7b.jpg

FINALLY! Make it to the crest of the hill and the stump we liked best. A bit hard to get at but still looks worthwhile. Can you see it smiling?

20220306_140643.jpg.7e398c46631f7833920328d50aa82906.jpg

It's also hollow all the way through, but still very hard to the touch everywhere I checked. Look at all the great root nodules! And the trunk size won't overwhelm a 55 when it's quartered up and just the front sections used (this is already changing with the 75 option a bit).

20220306_140652.jpg.c32866f6c869dc8affa43341e3825910.jpg

Patient Spouse™ made a generous cut up the trunk so we had plenty of material to work with. Not sure yet how much trimming will be done at the bottom and too many interesting possibilities that are better than just a lot of trunk itself. We couldn't get the tractor all the way to it given a somewhat precarious location and dense trees around it, but I was able to wrestle it upright and closer to the trail so the tractor grapple could scoop it up (hopefully). 

It took a couple of tries to find the right position to grab it as to minimize damage to the wood, but success! 

20220306_141720.jpg.419e32e3780653dd6a2ce99c3306746d.jpg

I had about a half mile hike back with Gemma while Patient Spouse™ had the fun of getting this thing back through the tighter parts of the trail without it knocking loose. We were losing daylight pretty quickly and everyone was getting hungry after this adventure.

20220306_141806crop.jpg.f4f6a7f2d26120661cec3c8a91cfddf7.jpg

We made it into the pickup without incident along with a couple smaller pieces, some ground pine, moss and a few surprises. Here it is back at the house! That root to the right is about 4' by itself and I think can be a very dynamic element if we cut the right slices.

20220306_144028crop.jpg.360e4d861724c59914d24ceb3df8a5ce.jpg

A better look from the bottom - will need some cleanup.

20220306_144035crop.jpg.7380005dc7b82c0684b952f4851a966f.jpg

Wrestling with ideas of how to best cut this cleanly and straight enough to place in the tanks the way I am picturing. Jig Saw blade too short, chain saw too rough. Pruning saw (shaped like a bow) better, but only until the handle meets the top of the stump. Hand saw maybe. And I have no idea yet how I'm going to sanitize this for placement in the tank - no cast iron cauldron handy unfortunately.

BONUS: A surprise for Patient Spouse™!

So I've been researching all aspects of this project at once, some more deeply than others, like stocking! A favorite tetra on the list was green neons, and I had a chance to grab some nice ones online at a reasonable price recently. They arrived today and looked great! I've never tested water that had a lower Ph than the API kit can measure until I checked their water... glad I did as the QT tank has also had a mystery upsurge this week, going from 7.2 to 7.6 for no reason I can discern yet.

These poor guys had to go from 6.0 (maybe less?) to 7.6. I didn't expect this as they came from an area that I know water-wise. The hardness was pretty close to mine though. It took some time, but finally acclimated them up and they are quite at home in the QT tank with just blue light on for now.

Video and pics don't do these guys justice, can't wait for show and tell this evening! They really do look best in low light.

20220323_174357.jpg.6a9e10c95fa18633d065e7c22ac37f64.jpg

NEXT UP: wrangling stumps, tank hood shui and more household debate over angelfish!

Edited by Jawjagrrl
Added tetra photo
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

On 3/23/2022 at 4:35 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

Does anyone know if aged wisteria (terrestrial, not the aquatic plant) vine is safe to use?

I would not try wisteria.  The members of the genus contain saponin, which is a class of toxins that are often particularly toxic to aquatic life.  It is saponins that people traditionally use to stun or kill fish in entire creeks.  Maybe the old wood could be used if well aged and rotted, but I just think it might be risky.  My 2¢.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I would not try wisteria.  The members of the genus contain saponin, which is a class of toxins that are often particularly toxic to aquatic life.  It is saponins that people traditionally use to stun or kill fish in entire creeks.  Maybe the old wood could be used if well aged and rotted, but I just think it might be risky.  My 2¢.

Thank you for settling this for good - was having a hard time tracking down reliable info. A shame, it looks great just like our mature grape vine, but is also not a candidate. Maybe the kudzu 😉

On 3/23/2022 at 9:32 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

Maybe the kudzu 😉

Actually, in terms of known toxicity, I suspect the kudzu would make a better candidate.  I have no idea how the stems look, or if they are of visual interest.  But I'd be more likely to try that vine than wisteria.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:35 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

Also grabbed a sample of this interesting plant that only grows to the south of us - Ground Pine (I forget the scientific name). Could it be converted for aquatic use?

I realized I had meant to reply to this as well, but missed it.  That plant is Diphasiastrum digitatum, and sadly, I strongly suspect it would not do well in an aquarium.  I will say though, I love that plant.  You have a really nice bit of land! 

Also, those photos make me want a tractor.  I'm not sure what I would do with one here in the burbs of the Twin Cites, but it looks so cool to do!  And that stump is just art.  This is going to be such a nice tank!

• Love 1

On 3/23/2022 at 10:52 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Actually, in terms of known toxicity, I suspect the kudzu would make a better candidate.  I have no idea how the stems look, or if they are of visual interest.  But I'd be more likely to try that vine than wisteria.

I realized I had meant to reply to this as well, but missed it.  That plant is Diphasiastrum digitatum, and sadly, I strongly suspect it would not do well in an aquarium.  I will say though, I love that plant.  You have a really nice bit of land! 

Also, those photos make me want a tractor.  I'm not sure what I would do with one here in the burbs of the Twin Cites, but it looks so cool to do!  And that stump is just art.  This is going to be such a nice tank!

The big kudzu vines are quite interesting (potentially), but not sure how well they would hold up, which is my understanding as to why grapevine isn't a good choice.

Thank you for a proper ID on the ground pine, which is a very interesting plant. A bit of a spoiler, but I have been working with it both submerged and as a hydroponic... and it's far happier fully aquatic! 

Don't know what we'd do without that tractor now, endlessly useful. I was a sesame street kid, hanging on my stoop, eventually a suburbanite and didn't like it. Always wanted to do 4h as a kid and be on a farm - it only took 50 years 🙂 I do like city life too, just not the in between. The property was even nicer before there was a highway about a mile away. During the early COVID days it felt like it did when it was purchased 40 years ago.

So you are twin cities? Are you going to the event this weekend? I wish I wasn't so far...and it wasn't so cold - I know my cold tolerance has likely diminished a lot since coming down here.

I'm actually a bit nervous about these big tanks now - feels like the stakes are higher and I've gone pretty public with it. So many amazing tanks here and I've only been working with plants since last September. Will definitely be seeking input on proposed plants coming soon!

• Like 1