Staircase tank

Jeff

This is actually a thing. I had to look it up…

Aquarium Official is definitely my first stop for dosing Discus aquarium fixes!

But this thing… I have so many reactions… what if a fish dies? Ever try netting something out of the bottom of that?? 😂

Plus I’ve got kids. I’m trying to envision a whole new reality to “sliding down the bannister.”

And the context?? What is this?? A basement / back cellar? I don’t know…

just WHY??!! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Wow. Very small surface area on the staircase tank, and I don't see any flow. Aeration must be in the sump. But where is the sump? I can't see an overflow or a return. That is true of most of the tanks in the video. The equipment - filtration, heaters, aeration - is almost completely hidden.

And as @Fish Folk points out, how do you reach the bottom of the staircase tank when you need to? Water changes would be interesting. With no substrate, maybe most of the waste goes right to the bottom.

All the tanks look great though.

• Like 1

This makes me think, "different, interesting". Followed immediately by, "ugh, nightmare". I say dare to be different. But sometimes different is just painful. At one point I was trying to figure out if this pic was photoshopped.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 10:57 AM, Fish Folk said:

Plus I’ve got kids. I’m trying to envision a whole new reality to “sliding down the bannister.”

My first thought too....look at the blue chair behind the tank....looks different from the other chairs. Kids chair?! Kinda, sorta looks like they MIGHT have some small children? Oh my....

Looks immaculate....I dunno how they do it. 

And Discus need as little distractions as possible...and this is where everyone goes upstairs...sigh...

• Haha 1

I have a lot of feelings about this.... It's pretty... but eh. I would be surprised if that setup actually got used for more than a week. I mean look at the size of the plants, and their orientation compared to the horizon; that tank had been set up just long enough for the water to be clear. That's my guess. I mean how hard would it be to do anything in that tank under the banister... I do see a filter line under the top step so there must be a canister or a sump somewhere.

Like I said, it's pretty, but eh. That's going to be a booger to get those fish out when they outgrow the space. Which if the banister is only 4-6"wide.... That's not very much time.

I would bet the tank was designed and built for other fish.

The contractor probably borrowed or rented the discus for the photo shoot before the intended fish were put in their new home. The contractor can then use the photos in his advertisements. "Look, I can build beautiful things! Hire me for your next project"

I am guessing that then the water is lowered to below the end of the banister, the banister and top of the tank can be unclamped and removed to work on the lower part of the tank. It might even come off in an upper half and a lower half, depending on what area of needs work.  Not easy, but they probably hire it done. When the seals wear out, they might fill the whole thing with shells or a sand painting.

Then again, it might be photo shopped 8-)

The videos are gorgeous!!!!

I, personally,  could not be paid enough to take care of the stairway tank😬

I can definitely enjoy it in the videos though! With the recessed lighting, and the upgraded soffits, that is not a basement. That looks like a formal entryway, in a very upscale home... some of the other video looked like a restaurant, and another looked like a hotel with oldschool elevator. 

My guess is all the tanks are professionally serviced, and they are owned by people who want pretty things but don't want to be inconvenienced by having to care for them. I may be incorrect, but my ex was a stonemason for many similar homes and once you have seen enough of 'a type' it's hard to miss...