How did you get into the hobby?

Levi_Aquatics

Fall of 2018 I ended up with a thrift store 5(8?) gal aquarium set that had previously housed a betta. I found aquarium co-op somewhere in the beginning and that led to me wanting to do more. I ended up being given a used 45 tall, and buying a 20long and 10 gal. My main tank is the 45 and I am working to minimize because I have found that having fewer tanks allows me to enjoy them more but I am constantly dreaming of different fish and bigger tanks. 

• Like 5

I've always kept fish growing up, and I'm not sure there's really been a stretch of time over a year where I didn't have a fish. Bettas were my fish of choice, much like a lot of us, I'm sure! My hobby really took off last year when my sister in law was offering up her 55 gallon corner tank for free, I did a bunch of research while I had that tank sitting empty in my living room, I was determined to have a proper tank. I'm so glad I did, this hobby has helped me a bunch with my mental health, it's nice to be able to step back and enjoy something you created, and get to take care of a bunch of little lives that depend on you.

• Like 8

If I recall correctly, it was a college neighbor of mine that got me interested.  He had a few tanks, the only one I really remember had a big orange oranda in it.  That was his prized fish.  I believe he gave me a 10g tank with filter and air pump to get me started.  Somewhere along the way I think I added a 2nd 10g and that's how I rode for a while.  I eventually gave one of the 10g tanks to my brother-in-law and inherited a 26ish gallon tank from my sister that was like a Coralife, I don't remember what it was but I don't think they make them anymore (had built in wet/dry filtration).  It developed a leak over time then the lighting in the built in hood deteriorated and stopped working so I gave the fish up to a LFS and left the hobby.  Now I'm back.

Looking back now, there is a bunch of stuff I don't remember.  My memory is terrible.

• Like 6

For me, it's always been an interest.

In university, a friend moved to Alberta and gave me her betta to take care of. After he passed, I got another betta, Charlie. I had Charlie for a couple years in a small 2.5 gallon tank. He eventually passed, and I missed having a fish friend, so I adopted my current betta, Mop.

I'd always wanted a bigger tank. Then, one day during the early stages of the pandemic, April/May, someone in my neighbourhood put out a 10 gallon on the side of the road. I scooped it immediately! It was perfect. I'd always wanted to dabble with a planted tank, and I wanted to give Mop better home. When I completed my undergrad in June, as a graduation present, I allowed myself set up the 10 gallon, buy some plants and attempt my first scape! Almost two years later, I now have 2 ten gallons, one for Mop and his Nerite friend The Slug, and another for my albino cories 🙂

Still have a lot to learn, but enjoying the journey thus far!

• Like 5

My dad told about how he had a crayfish when he was in college and i wanted one so i got a 20 gallon tank with all of the crappiest things like marble substrate but then i set up a 55 gallon community tank for him and now he loves it. I then bought a 20 gallon high and put my pregnant dwarf crayfish in there and now i have over 10 babies in a planted tank. I just set up a 5 gallon tank which i plan on putting shrimp in!

• Like 6

When my brother and I were kids, we had a sword tail named Thrasher. We never did a water change, no filter, and lots of overfeeding.  Not sure how that thing lived past a month.

After he died (don't remember how long), we converted the aquarium to an outdoor terrarium, keeping salamanders, crawfish, and a turtle, all of which we found in our backyard. 

When I was older, my brother got into it more, so I just observed as he stocked and took care of a 55 gallon community. Before the internet. He had no idea these fish didn't belong together.  I remember gouramis, angels, neons, a betta, red tail shark, two unknown fish that were eating the neons (he had to return those), a catfish he found in a creek that also ate the smaller fish.  He threw that back in the creek. And a pleco.   He had it running with a UGF and 2 pothos inside. Never had a sick fish.  Just hunted and killed fish.  I learned a lot just by observing. 

Then as an adult, many years later, my wife and I, on a whim, decide to take home a comet in a vase that was a centerpiece.  That same night we spend over $100 to get a 10 gallon aquarium starter kit, substrate and food.  We later gave him company with a fan tailed goldfish.  Eventually, they got sicker faster than I could heal and do water changes. After a year or so, both died. Aquarium went to storage.  And I knew what my mistakes were. 

Years later, my oldest son (3 at the time) was interested with me to start the hobby.  After months of research, we got a betta.  A few months later, we bury him. 

Now I have no fish. I have a running tank. And I'm still in the hobby. 

Edited by Gideyon
  • Like 4

I just want to say that I love all these stories. So many of them are stories of resilience--failure at first, but trying again, and improving things for our fish along the way, or stepping away for a while when life isn't fish-friendly, then diving back in later when it is. Thanks to all who are sharing!

Edited by PineSong
I have no idea why my posts are always in duplicate but it's making me CrAzY!
  • Like 3

About 40 years ago I was working at a TG&Y store.  (Does anyone remember those?  They were trying to compete with Wal-mart.  It didn't go well.)  We sold live fish, finches, parakeets etc, and I kind of enjoyed watching the fish, so I got a tank.  I didn't have a clue what I was doing.  I put some gravel from the driveway in it and filled it up with water.  After the water finally cleared up I added some fish.  It got cold.  The fish died.  It turns out I needed a heater (remember the part about not having a clue?).  I got a heater and more fish.  Eventually I got tired of it and gave it away, or something.

Fast forward about 20 years.  We got a small tank for my son's room.  I enjoyed watching them, but still didn't know much more than the first time.  After the algae got out of control that tank went away also.

Finally, in 2019 my daughter-in-law got a tank.  She did her research, so I got interested and tried again.  I'm now up to 10 tanks plus a couple tubs outside waiting for warm weather so I can put guppies back in them.

• Like 3

On 1/11/2022 at 9:33 AM, JettsPapa said:

We sold live fish, finches, parakeets etc, and I kind of enjoyed watching the fish

I miss the days when Walmart sold animals.  As a kid, I hung out in that section while my parents did their shopping.  Of course, nowadays, I wouldn't let my kids out of site. 

• Like 1

We had bettas in bowls (cringe, though they did last for years and we always did water changes) growing up. I didn't care about them back then but occasionally got a small tank with walmart fish that quickly died (a 10 year old doesn't know much about fish or how to take care of them or where to buy from...lol). I have since let my mother know that a vase isn't good enough and she listened. 🙂 

Then in college I got a small 5 gallon tank with a couple mollies on a whim... I fell into a DEEP HOLE in the fish section of the internet (especially cory's videos!!) and learned about what I was doing wrong, plants, different kinds of fish, water parameters, etc. I went and bought a 25 gallon tank and stocked with a couple dwarf gouramis, neons, cherries, snails, and albino cories. Nothing made me happier after class and 10 hour shifts at the Ollies Bargain Outlet than drinking a beer and sitting on a stool in front of my tank. 

25G came home with me, but I had a full time in office job (1hr commute each way) and I couldn't really enjoy the tank anymore. I got rid of it literally a week before covid hit and was working from home... big mad.

Finally moved out, Got a 10 gallon, a week later, a 20, and now I have a 75G that I have put my heart and soul (and wallet) into and love it (with some significant challenges)! I am obsessed with plants at the moment and since this is my first largish tank, experimenting with larger species of fish. 

One day when I own a house I will have a true fish room and would like to try my hand at breeding different species and keeping more exotic kinds of fish. I have always jumped from hobby to hobby but this one has the longevity. Constant challenges, lots of work, and new things to try keeps my my mind busy.

• Like 2

My parents always had a fish tank growing up and I loved every bit of it so when my mom bought me a 10g for my birthday in 2020 I was overjoyed and determined to make it the best tank I could. I dove in head first, as I do with just about everything, and decided it would be a fully planted tank. I found ACO and became voracious, reading and watching everything I could. I set up my second tank in March 2021 as a snail tank for my puffers, or so I told my wife to convince her we needed another tank in our 600-square-foot apartment. When I found this forum, I became even more obsessed with the "hobby." It's so much fun to continue to learn every day and enjoy my tanks knowing I continue to do the best I can to keep my little ecosystems happy and healthy. 

What a fun thread! Love reading about everyone's journey. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 8:57 AM, EVoyager31 said:

We had bettas in bowls (cringe, though they did last for years and we always did water changes) growing up. I didn't care about them back then but occasionally got a small tank with walmart fish that quickly died (a 10 year old doesn't know much about fish or how to take care of them or where to buy from...lol). I have since let my mother know that a vase isn't good enough and she listened. 🙂 

Then in college I got a small 5 gallon tank with a couple mollies on a whim... I fell into a DEEP HOLE in the fish section of the internet (especially cory's videos!!) and learned about what I was doing wrong, plants, different kinds of fish, water parameters, etc. I went and bought a 25 gallon tank and stocked with a couple dwarf gouramis, neons, cherries, snails, and albino cories. Nothing made me happier after class and 10 hour shifts at the Ollies Bargain Outlet than drinking a beer and sitting on a stool in front of my tank. 

25G came home with me, but I had a full time in office job (1hr commute each way) and I couldn't really enjoy the tank anymore. I got rid of it literally a week before covid hit and was working from home... big mad.

Finally moved out, Got a 10 gallon, a week later, a 20, and now I have a 75G that I have put my heart and soul (and wallet) into and love it (with some significant challenges)! I am obsessed with plants at the moment and since this is my first largish tank, experimenting with larger species of fish. 

One day when I own a house I will have a true fish room and would like to try my hand at breeding different species and keeping more exotic kinds of fish. I have always jumped from hobby to hobby but this one has the longevity. Constant challenges, lots of work, and new things to try keeps my my mind busy.

AM MAN TO THAT! glad you stuck with it. post as many pics as you want . 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 8:09 AM, Gideyon said:

I miss the days when Walmart sold animals.  As a kid, I hung out in that section while my parents did their shopping.  Of course, nowadays, I wouldn't let my kids out of site. 

My mom used to shop at a Mejier that had a separate pet shop between the grocery and hardware section. I’m pretty sure she spent more time there than in the grocery section. We were definitely on a first name basis with the staff. 😆 

• Like 5