what do you think about this flake food

BETTA999

I think it's a decent flake food. I keep my flake foods refrigerated to slightly lower its rate of decay. Once opened, all flake foods have a limited shelf life despite preservatives. I try not to touch the flakes with wet hands, since that speeds up breakdown, mold, etc. Once you get to the bottom 1/4 of a can of flake foods, I think it's probably advisable to pitch the remainder -- or feed to live food worm cultures, etc.

There are perhaps better flake foods to select. But I always buy one can of general flakes foods -- like this -- so rotate into my weekly serving. I almost never feed fish the exact same foods twice in a row.  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, bettta999 said:

ok i will use pellets wen they start to eat em because when i give them pellets the y dont like it

The extreme krill flakes from the Coop have kept surprisingly clean water. I have become fond of them if yours prefers flake give those a go. The extreme crave…not so great but the krill ones are 👍 thumbs up

Buying pet food is really difficult, because most of the time the advertising is more prominent than the nutrition facts.

During the Member's talk recently (I will try to grab the link and bring it here) in addition to addressing the different kinds of plecos, she went into great depth about reading the ingredients for fish food.

Looking at best quality ingredients for fish' natural diet and an affordable price, Xtreme Krill and most of the Bug Bites line have some of the best ingredients. 

For anyone who is not aware, ingredients on foods are listed in order by weight.

If a protein source is listed as "salmon", then it's the precooked weight. If it is listed as "salmon meal" then they are using the weight after it was cooked.

Something listed first in ingredients (like beef in dog food), may be the 6th or 10th item if the company switched to using beef meal (after its cooked weight).

Far too many pet foods have fillers that would never be eaten in natural environments, like pea protein, wheat, and rice.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I fed my fish that exact fish food for a solid year when I was first introduced into the hobby. It was cheap, easy to find and I didn't see a problem with it. Infact I still don't see a problem with it. My fish liked it and ate it every day with no problem. 

However I found there are much better foods on the market then this. Which is why I made the switch. I feed my fish a wide variety of foods. But there staple is the tropical flakes my LFS makes. I find that they are attracted to it more and the ingreidents seem more natural. 

Theres pros and cons to every fish food. If your a hobbyist on a budget this may be the food for you. I know the Xtreme flakes in Canada are defentley pricey compared to these tetra flakes. However if your willing to spend the extra $5-10 I would suggest foods like New Life Spectrum, NorthFin, Xtreme.  These are all fish food brands I have had positive experiances with.

I used to feed that quite a bit and probably still would.

I buy food based on the ingredient list, not flashy packaging or advertising. 

Lately I've had really good results from the Breeders Blend flake and Pro Growth flake from Angelfins in Canada.

Edited by ShawnG