Mice

Gideyon

Mice have derailed my hobby and life. 

I have yet to see them. But I hear things. I see droppings. And I've seen the effects of their rummaging.

It's in a storage room in our basement. Thankfully that's the only place.   It likely found itself (or themselves) there through the sump pump. 

I have a trusted pest control guy who also does rodents coming on Friday.  Not sure what his plan of action is going to be. 

Anyone have experience with this? 

If you setup glue traps, what did you do with a trapped mouse?   I don't think you'd just throw it in the garbage. Or do you? 

Edited by Gideyon

On 11/18/2021 at 5:54 AM, Gideyon said:

It is the most child safe way I'd imagine. 

But my own glue traps haven't been a match for this guy.  I find the trap moved with no mouse 

Assuming it is a mouse. 

Mice are pretty clever. Im sure the exterminator has more advanced traps at least

Living in  the woods near water is a recipe for every now and then finding rats. A trap is brutal, effective, and instant, so that is the method we use. 🐀 The neighborhood cats do a good job as well.

We have owls, eagles and coyotes, and I do not like using any poison so as not to hurt the biggest predators.

Edited by eatyourpeas

We also have mice.  They are deer mice (yes, the ones that are the primary reservoir for Lyme disease) that come in from the woods about this time of year and a bit earlier looking for a warm spot to spend the winter.  I've never found where they are getting in from outside, but the primary way they come in is under the kitchen sink.  I've found the basic mouse trap works the best, baited with PB.  But then deer mice are, thankfully, a lot dumber than house mice.  The deer mice will eat the PB out of the bait cup after one of their friends has already been killed in it, and then line up for their turn the next night.  House mice learn.  That makes them pesky.  Good luck! 

Good luck, I've been baiting traps for a week against our latest new residents. I've not seen them but they are making themselves heard at 4am.

Keeping my fingers crossed they are mice but the in triggered traps (peanut butter) is suggesting something a bit smarter .  This will teach me for not reporting the house behind me for excessive rubbish.

There’s a mouse trap YouTuber that reviews all sorts of mouse traps, including antique ones. It’s pretty fascinating stuff. I’ve bought this at his recommendation and it worked wonders, never had a problem again. Just fill the bucket half way with water and place some peanut butter on the black portion closest to the middle of the bucket. 5F65A963-E5CA-4EC8-90E0-AF7F8D200DA1.png.9affc11b8bacf767273ce67c337fa5f0.pngCC72B669-DC63-492E-96C2-48E479985B76.png.ef4a5e35b9a2b5df00b039d7978fd307.png

Edited by Monocentropus Balfouri
  • Like 3

On 11/21/2021 at 10:12 PM, Monocentropus Balfouri said:

There’s a mouse trap YouTuber that reviews all sorts of mouse traps, including antique ones. It’s pretty fascinating stuff. I’ve bought this at his recommendation and it worked wonders, never had a problem again. Just fill the bucket half way with water and place some peanut butter on the black portion closest to the middle of the bucket. 5F65A963-E5CA-4EC8-90E0-AF7F8D200DA1.png.9affc11b8bacf767273ce67c337fa5f0.pngCC72B669-DC63-492E-96C2-48E479985B76.png.ef4a5e35b9a2b5df00b039d7978fd307.png

thats a great idea. it would freeze in my garage. my grandmother, used to give us peanuts in the shell to eat up at the cabin when we were little kids ( many many years ago). you took the empty peanut shells and floated them on a bucket of water 3/4 full , with a ramp up to it. same principle, mice went up, went after the peanut shells, and didnt leave the bucket.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 11:12 PM, Monocentropus Balfouri said:

This one works but you can make one for $10 bucks and mice and rats which is probably what you have if they are taking the glue traps. Once in the the bucket put dish soap in they will drown faster.  I would pick a few options and rotate them. Like the bucket, you can bury the pale, the old trusted spring mouse/rat traps. The humane wire trap but I’m not sure on uk law I have a .22 air gun to finish them. I do think that the poison maze trap works best. Tomcat Rat Killer II Tier 1 Refillable Rat Bait Station https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQDNBTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SRQGCM8W5NARBERKH599
we used when the kids where small and raised show chickens. And these keep the poison in the box. The easiest way hire some that will. Fix all the entry and exit points clean up the UV areas were they walk all the time and also guarantee to get rid of  rats or mice For a certain period of time I know where I’m at in Florida it is three months which is really not long enough but then you go back to some of the stuff that they’ve already burned you’ll get the first few that way and then if it gets bad then you call the guy back sorry I use talk to type on this one so grammar and spelling may be bad

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 4:55 AM, Brandon p said:

I’m not sure on uk law I have a .22 air gun

We can have air guns,  you have to be over 18 to buy them and for use on private property only.  You need a good reason to have them in public. 

We used them on rats in the barns growing up, however my mum had a tale where her and her siblings where given spades and positioned at rat holes in the wall of their cowshed and granddad would hook a hose to a car exhaust and use that to flush the creatures out to the waiting kids.  Not sure how that fits as quality family time these days. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/22/2021 at 3:56 AM, Flumpweesel said:

. . . We used them on rats in the barns growing up, however my mum had a tale where her and her siblings where given spades and positioned at rat holes in the wall of their cowshed and granddad would hook a hose to a car exhaust and use that to flush the creatures out to the waiting kids.  Not sure how that fits as quality family time these days. 

I remember one or two similar sessions at my grandparents chicken house, but they used a water hose to flood the burrows instead of carbon monoxide.

• Like 3

On 11/22/2021 at 4:56 AM, Flumpweesel said:

We can have air guns,  you have to be over 18 to buy them and for use on private property only.  You need a good reason to have them in public. 

We used them on rats in the barns growing up, however my mum had a tale where her and her siblings where given spades and positioned at rat holes in the wall of their cowshed and granddad would hook a hose to a car exhaust and use that to flush the creatures out to the waiting kids.  Not sure how that fits as quality family time these days. 

I think the air gun laws here have not changed  with the the tech. 

Also have you come up with and answer yet

On 11/22/2021 at 11:19 PM, Brandon p said:

Also have you come up with and answer yet

Traps still being ignored, have moved up to poison (wanted to avoid because they are in the cavity walls and it can get unpleasant).  Not ruled out buying a predator.  

Thinking (hoping) mouse but no actual sightings just noises and a couple of damaged wheat bags (the sort you use as heat therapy).  I can see me taking some time off work and turning this house into some crazy Heath Robinson contraption. 

On 11/23/2021 at 2:51 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Traps still being ignored, have moved up to poison (wanted to avoid because they are in the cavity walls and it can get unpleasant).  Not ruled out buying a predator.  

Thinking (hoping) mouse but no actual sightings just noises and a couple of damaged wheat bags (the sort you use as heat therapy).  I can see me taking some time off work and turning this house into some crazy Heath Robinson contraption. 

It's my understanding that the poison used for mice makes them very thirsty, so they'll leave looking for water instead of dying inside the walls.