Coarse gravel and plants

Gideyon

I am considering removing the top inch or so of a clay substrate and replace it with coarse gravel.  

Replacing it because I'm having problems with the clay dirtying up my tank interior and glass.  I think the water flow of my HOB is eroding it. 

I'm using coarse gravel because that's all I have sitting around. I don't want to buy more.

I have no idea what the measurement is. I bought it online from Petco and there's no measurement on the bag. I just know it's not as fine as a prior gravel that's mixed in.  

So the question.... My desire for the clay substrate was for plants.  It just didn't seem possible to do it with gravel. 

Does the substrate matter as long as roots have somewhere to go and nutrients to get?   

I'm also wanting the water to move slowly down.   Not sure if the coarse gravel will have big gaps in between, increasing flow. 

I considered crushing the substrate, but that could give sharp edges that'll scratch the glass. 

Screenshot_20211110-150452.png.a5f3e1103ba8976d51c5834f7e524781.png

Edited by Gideyon

On 11/10/2021 at 3:01 PM, Gideyon said:

I am considering removing the top inch or so of a clay substrate and replace it with coarse gravel

I assume you will be leaving some of the clay saying your removing top inch…so why not just add gravel on top instead of removing anything?

On 11/10/2021 at 3:01 PM, Gideyon said:

Does the substrate matter as long as roots have somewhere to go and nutrients to g

No not really different types all have their pros and cons with using gravel you will more than likely need to use root tabs. 
no need to crush the substrate as long as you get a 1 1/2”-2” of gravel it really shouldn’t affect the clay. IMO

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 8:57 AM, Shane L. said:

@lefty o

@Guppysnail

I’m considering just gravel as well but was afraid to try. I’m assuming you use root tabs every 3 or 4 months and probably liquid fertilizer weekly? Do you use anything else to help growth, like CO2?

I do not use fertilizer or root tabs. I have fairly heavy stock high waste producers. Maybe 1/2 inch spectra stone or imagitarium standard gravel. As long as the roots are not in deep gravel or are exposed to the water column they pull the nutrients from the water column. I do not use CO2 either. First tank nothing touches substrate. Second tan everything is sitting on terra cotta with 1 layer of gravel. Third tank is just bare bottom with plant weights
if you go deeper gravel you do need root tabs because there is not water flow to replenish the nutrients in the deeper gravel. Hope that helps. 

81B43634-3471-4DBB-99AC-043927C32D44.jpeg9D3B9095-86E9-4641-A4C2-89C0A0870BFD.jpeg.94d2bf393cbecebc202f1f9a33f8febc.jpeg445531F3-6DCF-4284-B8EA-D1655FC39419.jpeg.7dda4845d03ceb5128658adc638d44fc.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 11/13/2021 at 7:57 AM, Shane L. said:

@lefty o

@Guppysnail

I’m considering just gravel as well but was afraid to try. I’m assuming you use root tabs every 3 or 4 months and probably liquid fertilizer weekly? Do you use anything else to help growth, like CO2?

for years i didnt do anything other than maybe splash some api leafzone in maybe once a month. now i do use root tabs and easygreen, but im not on any set schedule.

• 3 months later...

So I'm getting close to the stage of getting my first plants. From everyone's feedback, it seems obvious that the rooted plants will do just fine in gravel.   But one thing I just don't know and I can't find online.... 

How do I plant it?   Every time I see a video of someone planting, they're using some kind of forceps and pushing it into sand, soil or some kind of plant substrate.  But that won't work with gravel, and I don't have those kinds of tools. 

Do I just use my fingers and make a small crater, put the plant in, then move the gravel back into the crater?   

On 3/2/2022 at 4:50 PM, Gideyon said:

Do I just use my fingers and make a small crater, put the plant in, then move the gravel back into the crater?

I've only got one plant in my gravel, but that's what I did and it's been a little over 2 years now and the plant is doing fine.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 3:50 PM, Gideyon said:

So I'm getting close to the stage of getting my first plants. From everyone's feedback, it seems obvious that the rooted plants will do just fine in gravel.   But one thing I just don't know and I can't find online.... 

How do I plant it?   Every time I see a video of someone planting, they're using some kind of forceps and pushing it into sand, soil or some kind of plant substrate.  But that won't work with gravel, and I don't have those kinds of tools. 

You can use forceps to plant in gravel, sand or dirt, you can use the finger & crater method you described, you can use 1-2 drops of super glue gel to attach a small rock to the plant root to weight it, then just carefully drop it on top the gravel or soil.  If the plant comes in a small planter in rock wool you can just drop the plant -container-rock wool into your tank.  As you practice and experiment you will find different things work better for different plants.  
My experience, using mostly pea gravel and larger gravel (1-inch) for substrate is that val, amazon swords and crypts with good root systems are easiest to push in, then drag a bit, with or without tweezers, because that helps spread out the root system under the substrate.  Anubias works best with a few roots (not rhizome) pinched between rocks or buried under the gravel, or glued to a rock or piece of wood (cholla wood will almost dissolve out from under the plant leaving it kind of floating but anchored.  Swords or crypts with almost no root system work best with a small rock glued to the side of the root/stem spot then set on top the gravel - roots grow faster and grow down into the gravel to anchor it and you don't risk the plant getting buried too deep and rotting.
Most important is to do what is easiest for you, experiment and have fun.

Good luck.

• Like 2