Biofilm ?! Friend or Foe!

Leo2o915

@Cory @Dean’s Fishroom @Bentley Pascoe what’s ur opinion on this? 
what’s everyone’s opinion? 

I read a lot of people say it’s good for the tank and seen other say it’s bad want to start a good topic on it ? Why do y’all love it or hate it? Shrimp and certain species love it and thrive on it correct? 

Edited by Leo2o915
Forgot to add something

I think most who say it's bad are thinking on an aesthetic level, but I could be wrong.  I try to keep my front viewing panel clean and clear, but I realize that my little guys live on stuff like biofilm.  I'm by no means an expert, but I don't see any harm other than appearances for people who do not want a naturally wild looking tank. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

I think most who say it's bad are thinking on an aesthetic level, but I could be wrong.  I try to keep my front viewing panel clean and clear, but I realize that my little guys live on stuff like biofilm.  I'm by no means an expert, but I don't see any harm other than appearances for people who do not want a naturally wild looking tank. 

Yeah I leave it on top for a few days and the shrimp and snails love that stuff lol 

2 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

I always leave my back walls coated in algae/biofilm, as well as any decor. Depending on viewing positions of various tanks, I'll keep one or both side walls coated as well. 

Yeah I leave mine on expect the front panel glass 

4 minutes ago, Kat_Rigel said:

FRIEND! Like the posters above, I also only clean the front glass, for viewing purposes. I constabtly see my cherry shrimp on the back glass nibbling away. 

Mine are on top eating the one on the surface 🙂

• Like 1

It can be your friend and your foe. For the most part it is completely fine and in many cases with really help in raising and feeding fry. It is the same with a little mulm on the bottom of the tank. Lots of little microscopic critters live in the mulm and biofilm and supply many a fry with their first meals. 

That said it can also get way out of control, especially if you skip your regular tank maintenance and water changes. However even in the dirtiest algae infested tanks. If you add a couple small bristlenose plecos, those tanks will probably be cleaned up within a week. 

• Like 1

I find that biofilm is helpful to my shrimp/guppy tank. I have so many snails and shrimp I only clean the front glass and leave the rest to them. I will feed a Bacter AE mixture to encourage biofilm to grow well. My little shrimplets are always attached to the glass and surfaces feeding on it. 

However, If you don't have anything that needs it for food such as fry or shrimp/snails/plecos then it can be a hassle. It depends on each person and their situation.