Fish ID?

AnsleyBleu

Do you know what this little one is? Juvenile white cloud mountain minnow? Note the barbells. It came home as an accidental surprise in a bag of platys from a big box store. That is a piece of duckweed and it is in a 1/4 measuring cup for size reference. 

Thanks for your ideas! 🙂

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 2:14 PM, AnsleyBleu said:

Do you know what this little one is? Juvenile white cloud mountain minnow? Note the barbells. It came home as an accidental surprise in a bag of platys from a big box store. That is a piece of duckweed and it is in a 1/4 measuring cup for size reference. 

Thanks for your ideas! 🙂

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

Is this a Koi? @WhitecloudDynasty might know…

• Like 1

Can't tell what it is but it is not a White Cloud Minnow as I have some of them. My first thought was a type of Carp. It is the wrong mouth for Reticulated flying fox, so no, can't be that one.

Edited by BenA
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the guesses. I got this little one a few months ago and it lives out in the pond. I will try to net it again and take more pictures. It is larger now - maybe just over 2".

@MACDanio albolineatus may be right. I think PetSmart carries these. The color variation might be due to being outside in the container pond. 

Edited by AnsleyBleu
added content

That appears to be either a Koi x Goldfish hybrid or a Koi x Bronze Bream hybrid. The anal fin is absolutely throwing me for a ride though so it is impossible for me to say, although I lean towards the latter. Given how wonky Cyprinidae genetics and subsequent hybrid morphs are you would likely need to do genetic sequencing to know it's exact hybridization. As contrary to popular belief hybrids can reproduce.

Seeing as all goldfish that Petsmart gets comes from outdoor breeding facilities in Indiana I am almost sure of cross "contamination." Tadpoles, sunfish, crayfish, and minnows have all been reported coming from their shipments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1