Help! Rebuilding fish room after major rack collapse

A year-a-go my very sweet husband bought and build a beautiful racking system for my new fish room. Unfortunately the boards that came with the selves where OSB. I was unsure about the OSB but I lost that battle. In the attached picture the bowing is very obvious but life happen and we put off fixing one day to long and, yesterday the tanks came crashing down lost three colonies of breading fish and shrimp. 

The rack themselves seem to be fine. I want to use 2X4's to use as decking and my husband was to use composite decking because if the water resistance. Looking for guidance. 

20210930_131004.jpg

20210415_133422.jpg

• Sad 3

2x4's would do the job, you can even paint them to help make them water resistant. composite decking material might make a better choice in the long run. i think either would serve you well. the osb the racks came with is only okay as a topper laid over something else that does the actual supporting.

• Administrators
On 9/30/2021 at 10:44 AM, glasscityfishwitch@gmail.c said:

A year-a-go my very sweet husband bought and build a beautiful racking system for my new fish room. Unfortunately the boards that came with the selves where OSB. I was unsure about the OSB but I lost that battle. In the attached picture the bowing is very obvious but life happen and we put off fixing one day to long and, yesterday the tanks came crashing down lost three colonies of breading fish and shrimp. 

The rack themselves seem to be fine. I want to use 2X4's to use as decking and my husband was to use composite decking because if the water resistance. Looking for guidance. 

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Yes, 2x4s are just fine. As long as you don't plan on soaking them during water changes, there should not be any issue. I have been using 2x4s on my fishroom racks/stands for years with no issue. If your husband is overly concerned, you could always treat the 2x4s with a deck sealant or something, but in my opinion, this isn't necessary.

This entire fishroom except for two tanks is built on untreated 2x4s and concrete blocks.

DFBD5623-C5E4-4684-A6CF-82CB8CD87B18.jpeg

On 9/30/2021 at 1:44 PM, glasscityfishwitch@gmail.c said:

20210930_131004.jpg

20210415_133422.jpg

I think a good compromise would be 2x4 pressure treated. Composite material that is sold at most box stores is decking only and is only 1”thick even doubled up I think it would still bow like the OSB. You can find composite 2x4s that are generally used for building playgrounds but the price is crazy high. 

I’ve used those type of medium duty shelves in my garage for tool storage etc. I think they’re marketed as heavy duty but I’m a bit concerned that they’re not really heavy duty enough for a rack of fish tanks. The metal cross pieces are pretty small for the type of weight you’re putting on them. The good thing is that while you’re upgrading the shelves with 2x4s you could add some center supports and maybe some diagonals to stiffen things up a bit. 

Ouch, that's rough! I feel for you!

Please do not use pressure treated lumber in your home. 🙂

I would advise painted or otherwise sealed 3/4" marine grade plywood, but last I checked, the price made me gag!

Edited by Vanish

On 9/30/2021 at 5:08 PM, Vanish said:

Please do not use pressure treated lumber in your home. 🙂

😖so sorry I went and researched and it’s true you should NOT use pressure treated lumber the chemicals could leach out on nets, towels, or anything really. So sorry for the bad suggestion. I should have thought it through or researched before posting.

the sealed marine grade plywood 👍

• Thanks 1

Oh my goodness! That must have been so scary, sad, and sooo much work to clean up.

I’m in the 2x4 camp, and I would recommend staining them really well before putting them on the shelves so there’s stain covering every surface of the boards. Or look into 3/4” thick hardwood plywood. I used maple plywood on the surface of my fish tank sand. You may need a few 2x4s under the plywood if you go that route.

When I built my stand, I needed a stain that wouldn’t off-gas too much because I have chemical sensitivities. I ended up using this one:

https://vermontnaturalcoatings.com/product/polywhey-exterior-penetrating-wood-stain/

If you’re regularly soaking the boards, I’d make sure you do plenty of thick coats!

I also agree with the suggestion that you use some diagonal cross braces to strengthen the stand. Based on my reading, twisting is the most common way these metal stands fail.

Wishing you luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, what a bummer!

When I set up my rack, I noticed some bowing as I filled the first 10 gallon.  So I emptied the first 10 gallon and we bought marine/outdoor grade plywood, 3/4” think to replace the 3/8” thick OSB board that came with the shelves.  I sealed the boards with polyurethane outdoors, then gassed out my hubby in the garage because I left them out there to cure for about a week until I couldn’t smell them any more.  😆 

Mine are holding up very well to water so far with 4, 10 gallons on a 48” shelf with room for a gap in the middle where I store stuff and the HOB’s also hang from the middle tanks.

On 9/30/2021 at 12:10 PM, glasscityfishwitch@gmail.c said:

thank you Zenzo but I get water everywhere much of the time mainly because I use a wheelchair and many adaptive devices. I have one of those crazy fish rooms with no running water hence 55 gallon garbage cans and a lot of buckets.

Fellow aquarist with disabilities, and I hard relate on this.

Have you seen the video Cory made, I want to say 2016? on building the racks for the shop?

It looks like all your tanks are framed, so they only need supports under the frames.

The 2" × 4" would work, and cross-brace the shelves every 18"  (customize for your tanks that are perpendicular so that all 4 frame edges are on a 2" x 4") for stability. It might be worth cross-bracing the metal frame for peace of mind, or run a cross-brace across the back of the racks (easier to attach to wood).

I second Hobbit's recommendation for Vermont Natural coatings. 

I am so sorry for your loss, I think all aquarists have at least one tale of similar magnitude, if we stay in the hobby for any length of time. 

• Like 1