Excited for my tank and future!

Dakota

On 9/27/2021 at 8:03 PM, Dakota said:

Just got these guys a couple weeks ago and they are thriving! I am being very deligent about keeping tank parameters good. I am really enjoying these fish! They are absolutely gorgeous!

IMG_8133 (2).jpg

IMG_8137 (2).jpg

IMG_8141 (2).JPG

IMG_8142 (2).JPG

IMG_8145 (2).jpg

IMG_8157 (2).JPG

4th & 5th pictures down looks like the fish approve of your diligence. 

Someone looks like breeding is on your horizon. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 1:50 AM, Torrey said:

4th & 5th pictures down looks like the fish approve of your diligence. 

Someone looks like breeding is on your horizon. 

i really hope so! I think i have all females hoping to get 1 male this week. Would love to get some babies at some point.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:03 PM, Dakota said:

Just got these guys a couple weeks ago and they are thriving! I am being very deligent about keeping tank parameters good. I am really enjoying these fish! They are absolutely gorgeous!

IMG_8133 (2).jpg

IMG_8137 (2).jpg

IMG_8141 (2).JPG

IMG_8142 (2).JPG

IMG_8145 (2).jpg

IMG_8157 (2).JPG

Awesome! My favorite fish in the hobby. Hands down. There are some interesting Electric Blue and Golden variations, but this standard color form is just the best. Best wishes! PM if you need any particular feedback. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 9:20 AM, Dakota said:

I have read all of your journal and it has inspired me to do the best i can for them. Any tips? @Fish Folk

Your photos look beautiful! I’d enjoy a 2-min video of your tank, just to observe your fish in action.

If you’re wanting to breed them, you’ll need to confirm that you’ve got a pair. Of course the ones with a clearly pink belly are females. But sometimes they can be tricky to sex, if you’re female is a bit darker — rendering the belly more purple.

I’ve found that for breeding, temperature 80°-F or a bit warmer are preferable. They seem to respond well to 25% water changes and live foods. If you set a flat stone — the sort best for skipping on water — in the tank with a bit of sheltering privacy, a breeding pair will tend to gravitate towards that.

For just keeping long term (not breeding) they’ll appreciate that 80°-F temperature point, however, they’ll die sooner with warmer water since it speeds up their metabolism. They can be comfortable at 76°-F and up. In the wild, of course, temps vary widely.

Ill mention that there’s a young aquarist in New Zealand that my son’s gotten to know through the hobby who is finding success with Rams. It might be worth checking out his approach too, and seeing if he’s got any tips. His recent video on Rams is here…

• Like 2

I will post a video here a bit later. I keep my tank between 80-82F. They seem to be doing great. Would love for them to live a couple of years. I really need to set up a smaller tank for "pairs" and growing fry. Would love to eventually go into business with these guys, even if its just to support this hobby.

Edited by Dakota
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 3:31 PM, Fish Folk said:

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like you've got some females. I can make out the ovipositor on the two. Is there a third Ram? 

yeah pretty sure they are all 3 females. Her colors arent as pronounced but there is a pink belly on her. Those 2 you mainly see are the "Alpha Females" and the third less colored one is the runt.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 2:45 PM, ARMYVET said:

3 females for one male....tell me again why humans don't practice this ?!?!? 🤣

If I suddenly dissappear...my wife read that comment😱

Cories are the opposite.  Hmm, maybe that’s why I love cories so much!  Cute and smart!

• Haha 1