Dune 2021 - Anyone Looking Forward to This?

Fish Folk

221059939_ScreenShot2021-08-30at9_48_40PM.png.71c66dd98b2a4660ebbf9ded32e816fd.png

I am so little interested in movie releases anymore. This will be an exception. I really want to believe. It's the first installment in a new vision of the most epic space opera. You all out there in Washington State must be familiar with Frank Herbert!

Every time someone on the forum asks about water parameters, I laugh thinking, "Tell me about the waters of your homeland, Muad'dib . . ."

Any other NERMs into Dune?

Edited by Fish Folk
It’s Frank… not George…
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

On 8/30/2021 at 10:35 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m very excited about this. I read the series several time as a kid/teenager. My mom and stepdad actually bonded over the books when they first met. Instead of flowers he showed up for a date with a copy of the newly published Chapter House. 😀

Wow! That's wild! What character(s) really make / make an impression on you?

On 8/30/2021 at 7:50 PM, Fish Folk said:

Wow! That's wild! What character(s) really make / make an impression on you?

You know although I typically go for character driven novels I liked the Dune series for the grand story arc. Mystical society’s controlling the universe and all that stuff. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 10:53 PM, Patrick_G said:

You know although I typically go for character driven novels I liked the Dune series for the grand story arc. Mystical society’s controlling the universe and all that stuff. 

Yeah, that's really huge in Herbert's vision. Growing up in Washington with a desert in the middle of the state . . . but all of the geopolitical forces he drew the lines all the way out with too. The push for fossil fuels here on earth . . . middle east . . . use of titles and prophetic references form Islam . . . the warring families . . . just wild.

• Like 2

I think that the 1980s attempt at Dune fell short for a number of reasons. Though there was a lot of wild, imaginative setting and styling, it always felt like each set was an opera stage, and the show tried to tell the WHOLE saga. Makeup and lighting aesthetics has dramatically changed for the better nowadays, IMHO. The TV Miniseries (1999 / 2000) was better. But even there, they bit off so much, that certain elements were incommensurate with others. Emperor Shaddam’s court was memorable, but the CGI for ships on Arakkis itself was weak.

I think this 2021 version is going to work much better. Cast is great. Director is perfect. Unless they so butchered the script that it shifts the film’s weight entirely to depend upon atmosphere and aesthetics, it could be a blockbuster.

Far as I know, they’re not even getting into Shaddam or Feyd Routha. I’ve seen nothing about the Spacing Guild yet either. Telling less of the whole story better seems like a great plan. It’s set for about 3 hrs too. That should mean that they’ll be able to dial into details and really bring viewers in.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 9:39 AM, Gator said:

I've got a copy of the 1980's movie and the book that movie was based on, I didn't like either of them.

It is a unique thing to get used to. The book was from the 1960s. The movie setting was its own thing… very “cult classic.” I think this new one will be more accessible. But I guess if you don’t like the story, that’s a separate thing.

Do you have some SciFi movies / books you do enjoy?

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2

YES!  Heck I'm one of the few that liked the old movie and even watched the enhanced 5 hour version (with lots of TALKING!)

My favorite Sci-Fi Author is Charles Sheffield.   He's heavy heavy on the science, with just the right amount of fiction. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Oh no, I detect some heresy! I loved the original movie. I thought it was very successful, but maybe I was projecting because I liked it so much, I see it didn’t break even at the box office.  😀 Sting as Feyd was a favorite of mine. I was about 14 but I might also have had a crush on Sean Young as Chani. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/31/2021 at 10:45 AM, Patrick_G said:

Oh no, I detect some heresy! I loved the original movie. I thought it was very successful, but maybe I was projecting because I liked it so much, I see it didn’t break even at the box office.  😀 Sting as Feyd was a favorite of mine. I was about 14 but I might also have had a crush on Sean Young as Chani. 

I liked it a lot too, but I'm also a fan of other David Lynch films!  He was a strange choice for Dune, but I thought it worked well. 

• Like 1

The 2000 three part mini series was intriguing. I didn’t like what was done with sequels, but the first installment helped do some things better than the 1984 movie, I think. Sting as Feyd was good though. I think they’ll get Baron Harkonen just right though here in the 2021 adaptation. 

• Like 2

I've gotten intersted in sci-fi more as I get older. For whatever reason as a kid I just never really got into the genre besides like Star Wars if that counts. I'm going to watch Dune though since I know it's such a classic. I think it's on hulu. Will be the first time seeing it. Back in the 80s I was into like horror movies and war movies. I still like good horror movies but don't really get into war movies anymore.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 1:27 PM, sudofish said:

I've gotten intersted in sci-fi more as I get older. For whatever reason as a kid I just never really got into the genre besides like Star Wars if that counts. I'm going to watch Dune though since I know it's such a classic. I think it's on hulu. Will be the first time seeing it. Back in the 80s I was into like horror movies and war movies. I still like good horror movies but don't really get into war movies anymore.

I recommend either reading the first book "Dune" by Frank Herbert, or listening to it in an audio book format. The premise is huge. Far into the future, all galactic commerce depends upon "spice" a psychoactive chemical found / mined only on the planet Arrakis (Dune). By refining spice, the Spacing Guild protects the once-humanoid "navigators" - strange super evolved creatures, who are able to fold space to allow ships to travel. So whoever can control Dune controls the entire galaxy. Planets are controlled by "houses" -- basically, royal families -- who have everything their position affords at their disposal. House Harkonnen is particularly brutal, and has had control of Arrakis for a long while. But the Galactic Emperor (House Corrino) determines that Dune ought to be under the management of a more benevolent House, and orders House Atreides to move from their ocean-covered planet to the sand-covered plant of Dune in place of House Harkonnen. This sets up a great conflict to unfold between the exiled House Harkonnen, and House Atreides. It is, in a sense, an Athens vs. Sparta conflict. But there are other features to the plot. There is a shadowy cult order of women who call themselves the Bene Gesserit. They come off, as Herbert tries to define them,  somewhere between . . . Nuns . . . a coven of witches . . . and Greek Amazons. They are doing a secret breeding project, trying to bring about a new galactic order by bringing the houses together. One of theirs, Lady Jessica, is the concubine to Duke Leto Adreides. She was ordered to conceive a daughter, but bore a son instead. This is Paul Atreides (played in the 2021 movie by Timothee  Chalamet). He is heir to the House Atreides, but also an unknown free-radical in the blood line of the Bene Gesserit. He has certain visions that present the future to his mind (this, by the way, is much like the navigators who under the influence of spice already see the destination where they are going and bring it to come about as ships travel by the folding of space). So . . . the young man Paul Atreides heads to Dune with his family. All hell breaks loose as the brutal House Harkonnen decides to reclaim the spice and obliterate house Atreides. Paul escapes, and finds refuge with the native sand-dwelling Fremen that populate the planet, unaccounted for by the galaxy. From there, a jihad is waged to reclaim the planet for the natives, and basically control the entire galaxy.

That's my version!

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 5

On 8/31/2021 at 7:30 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

Never really a big fan of dune. I will be watching the movie i'm just not crazy about it.  @Fish Folk I am a native born Washingtonian and have never heard of George Herbert. But if you mean Frank Herbert the author of dune, he is somewhat of a small local legend to some around the puget sound area. 

FRANK … my bad. George is the English poet. 

• Haha 1

This video just explained some elements of the story and fighting style that I'd never fully grasped before...

Everyone has a personal body shield in the future that stops projectiles that move _fast_. So swords and knives are used carefully to pierce through at slow motion in hand to hand combat. Also, I'd forgotten how important the Sardaukar were . . .

• Like 2