Dune 2021 - Anyone Looking Forward to This?

Fish Folk

Super excited to see this...immediately loved the visuals and performances that Villeneuve got in BladeRunner 2049, but it took me awhile to set aside what I wanted that move to be to really appreciate it (and the performances) for what it is.  I suspect that I'm going to have a similar struggle with Dune,  but think I'll eventually come around to it as well.  I did read that Villeneuve "learned" from Bladerunner 2049 that a nearly 3 hour movie is simply too much for many viewers,  and that this first Dune movie clocks in at right around 2h:30m of running time.

• Like 1

I can’t wait to see it. I remember watching the six-hour laserdisc version, or whatever it was, in 1993 or 1994. It was quite the deep dive into Dune.

Blade Runner is my most influential movie. I read books and wrote college papers about the production. I try to only watch it occasionally so that it remains fresh. 2049 was a nice surprise as a sequel.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 2:08 PM, Fish Folk said:

You’re right… I saw this recently.

The script was apparently cut into two nearly identical running time sections, so another film is apparently guaranteed as long as the first doesn't completely flop at the box office. 

On 9/2/2021 at 2:30 PM, Streetwise said:

Blade Runner is my most influential movie. I read books and wrote college papers about the production. I try to only watch it occasionally so that it remains fresh. 2049 was a nice surprise as a sequel.

The only time I've ever called in sick to work when not actually sick was to see the first showing on the first day of release of Blade Runner Director's Cut.  My boss gave me hard time about it as two other people I worked with called in the same morning...turns out that the three of us were all at the same screening (and could have carpooled if we had tipped each other off to our individual plans).

I didn't "get" 2049 until I saw an interview with Sylvia Hoeks where she said Villeneuve's direction was that her character Luv had the emotional understanding and life experience of a 12 year old- the polar opposite of Rutger Hauer's Roy Batty.   With that in mind,  2049 made a whole lot more sense.  If you haven't seen it- there's an additional 10 or so minutes of the backstory of the Sapper Morton character that was edited out that fills in details on why he fails to put up fight once "K" finds him.  Really good if you can still find it.

Interesting aside.  One of my ex-nieces got called to screen test for 2049 at Villeneuve's request (he saw her in a magazine ad she had done)....unfortunately everyone decided that she looked too young and "wholesome" for any of the female roles in the movie.  Dang.

• Like 2

I’ll stop linking after this. Just so helpful with grasping the background and overarching narrative. I think the bottom line reason why many people get lost in the Dune saga is its breadth and depth. The novel has so much context that is largely inaccessible to the light reader, that it is easy to feel out of the loop.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 11:13 PM, Lowells Fish Lab said:

Soooo much. Dune was my favorite sci-fi novel and I can't wait to see this. Both the miniseries and the prior movie did their own justice to the story but I have really high hopes for this new one.

Agreed! It's a month out. I'm going to re-read the first book just because . . . 

• 4 weeks later...