1st Walstad tank!

Louise

This will be my first Walstad tank and I’m super excited! I used miracle grow soil capped with gravel and black sand. My plants are Anubius (not sure what kind), dwarf hair grass, flame moss, water sprite (floating), Amazon swords, and I think some kind of crypt. More background plants to come, but I wanted to show my semi finished tank!😁😁😁

17CFB830-0988-408F-A533-6640B0AFDBF1.jpeg

D35431BE-1873-4E94-945B-9612E8A14B36.jpeg

Also! Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!!

09/19- got some Ludwigia repens today for the background! Hopefully it will keep its red color. Does anyone have some that kept the red color without co2? Also, ordered some red root floaters for the surface that should be arriving in about a week😁

F0635968-807D-4F56-ADA0-6E32546ACD07.jpeg

Edited by Louise
Update
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

So I think I have finished planting for now! I added some red root floatersand I love they have already started growing new leaves and blooming. I was wondering though, if anyone can tell me what is growing off of my flame moss….

Taking any ideas for some nano fish to put in here!

17FF6BFF-9E11-4B21-90D5-66D383F60763.jpeg

2C0D2DFB-EC24-4482-BC58-8D0D56745C57.jpeg

Edited by Louise
  • Like 2

You have a beautiful tank. This probably is not too helpful but those look like terrestrial seed sprouts I start submerged in my hydroponics garden. Was your flame moss grown emerged..I know nothing about flame moss btw.  I’m curious to see what they are. Edit I love celestial pearl danios for highlight accents nano fish and they are robust

Edited by Guppysnail

It could have been grown immersed but I’m not sure…. I guess I’ll see what it turns into!

I really wanted to get some CPD’s but no one around me has any. I’ve even asked around in the aquarium clubs and nothing.

and yea I know they’re will probably be algae growth. I have bladder snail now but they don’t do a great job of cleaning algae so I’ve gotta do something else

I might get some back lash for doing this because some people don’t like it but really wanted try a betta sorority and I did!! I got 3 koi and 1 white crown tail along with 7 ember tetras, a nerite snail, and a stow away shrimp (not sure what kind) pictures of the fish below! I couldn’t find the snail or shrimp lol

everyone seems to be doing well. There is obviously some posturing between the bettas but one always swims away. 

the shrimp was green and white… anyone know what kind that could be?

1D82F489-24F3-43AD-8A71-7302F95AF2F4.jpeg

0F566411-B8B4-48DC-8A99-005FE882A66D.jpeg

D5C8C59A-4D21-4694-98BE-935711411DB6.jpeg

4C118944-F305-4AB2-9D57-12DF332C0995.jpeg

AE78CF87-D6B8-4250-98CB-2F75BD6642F2.jpeg

• Like 3

On 8/27/2021 at 8:56 AM, Louise said:

Unfortunately, I don’t have a day during the week that I would be home to receive them and my husband is too worried he will mess it up to try and do so ordering online isn’t an option right now 😩

I know you got the sorority already, but I have a similar situation. I just have my wife bring the box in from outside and open the mud so they can animate to room temperature. I then deal with transferring the fish put of the bags when I get home. It's worked well for me the few times I've ordered fish.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! How is your betta sorority going?  I am very recently considering this for a 55 gallon, though I'm worried because the opinions out there on this are so polarized.  I appreciate you sharing that you did it even though you were worried about backlash (and I hope that didn't happen to you after all).

Edited by SWilson
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 1:31 PM, SWilson said:

Hi! How is your betta sorority going?  I am very recently considering this for a 55 gallon, though I'm worried because the opinions out there on this are so polarized.  I appreciate you sharing that you did it even though you were worried about backlash (and I hope that didn't happen to you after all).

It’s going well! I ended up losing my white crown tail due to dropsy but have since added 2 more to make a group 5 since that is recommended. The biggest thing to know about bettas sororities from my (very little) experience is that it HAS to have a ton of plants or hides to block their view. My tank is 10 gallons (smaller than the recommended but I have so many plants blocking their vision that a lot of the time they don’t even see each other. I would definitely try to get females that have grown up together if possible. Mine were from petco (not from the same egg batch) and took a little longer to get a pecking order in place. But honestly I absolutely love it! They have so much personality and swim up in my hands and play with me all of the time. It’s my favorite tank that I’ve had. I know I just typed an essay lol but I say do your research and build the right set and go for it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2021 at 7:19 AM, Louise said:

09/19- got some Ludwigia repens today for the background! Hopefully it will keep its red color. Does anyone have some that kept the red color without co2?

Mine has! I also used Miracle Gro organic soil, though mine was capped with the black blasting sand from TS.

"Why do you say 'was capped'?"

Funny you should ask😅

I followed Diana's advice and got both blackworms and MTS to keep the substrate turned.... the MTS are overachievers and they have completely rescaped the tank🤣

However, the plants are much happier, and I have red leaved plants for the first time in my life.

You can check out pictures in my journal.

On 9/15/2021 at 12:31 PM, SWilson said:

Hi! How is your betta sorority going?  I am very recently considering this for a 55 gallon,

The easiest way to keep a betta sorority is to get 5 to 7 females (odd numbers seem to work better) that were raised together and have never been separated. Gianne talked about this in the members talk on bettas.

Bettas that are wild caught will be bottled together, and not fight!

For some reason, they don't do very well being reintroduced after being separated. Like @Louise said, heavily planted tanks help, too.

Create lots of height differences in your substrate, and plant on the "hills" to visually block line of sight, and create an extra "room" or two in your 55 g and you should be fine.

Fully cycle the tank, and add your dither fish first, to improve your chances of success. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2021 at 8:01 PM, Torrey said:

Mine has! I also used Miracle Gro organic soil, though mine was capped with the black blasting sand from TS.

"Why do you say 'was capped'?"

Funny you should ask😅

I followed Diana's advice and got both blackworms and MTS to keep the substrate turned.... the MTS are overachievers and they have completely rescaped the tank🤣

However, the plants are much happier, and I have red leaved plants for the first time in my life.

You can check out pictures in my journal.

Mine has as well it’s just slightly muted rather than vibrant.  Mine is tied to the top of a piece of spider wood directly under the light

• Thanks 1