Cat Fish, GBRs

Seacrestbf

Hello

I am having a tough time with cories? Can't keep the alive??? They are losing their Barbels?  Treated the tank with FURAN 2, did not help. Most of the other fish are doing great, Angels growing and breeding. Denision Barbs, Rainbows great. A little tough time with the GRBs, losing a few here and there, but they are breeding???   The parameters are good, water is a little soft? 

Thoughts? 

Thank you

07D6A22D-254F-4769-8A98-2D838E137C7C_1_105_c.jpeg

437A1ACA-F90D-4002-988F-003A6ECEF881_1_105_c.jpeg

F42DF1CD-A597-475E-B00F-4807B88908E7_1_105_c.jpeg

31881698-BF93-46E2-8353-44BF12F9A606_1_105_c.jpeg

D32AC3B7-22C8-43AE-8253-0AD1B085B37B_1_105_c.jpeg

Are you feeding proteins and worms. They get very little correct nutrition from algae wafers not specifically made for them. Repashy does great. If they are not getting what they need they dig way to much trying to find it wearing at the barbles and gaining them infection and actually die from malnutrition. Any worms fresh or frozen baby brine microfauna of any type. I hope this helps. If you already do this I don’t know any other reasons this happens. I’m sorry for your situation 😥

How long did you have them before they started dieing and Did you treat you GBR for parasites when you got them what  are your water parameters and what temp are you keeping them at

Edited by Colu

They usually last a 2-3 months or more, The PH is 76, the water is a little soft. The temp was 82 degrees, I was told that could be to hot, so I lower it to  79-80. No change. I have Lots of plants  The other fish are doing great. I did not treat for Parasites. They do not appear to be bloated, but the bellies are red? I brought one to the local fish store, (very knowledgeable. He did not have a answer for me? 

Thank you

On 8/9/2021 at 5:01 AM, Seacrestbf said:

They usually last a 2-3 months or more, The PH is 76, the water is a little soft. The temp was 82 degrees, I was told that could be to hot, so I lower it to  79-80. No change. I have Lots of plants  The other fish are doing great. I did not treat for Parasites. They do not appear to be bloated, but the bellies are red? I brought one to the local fish store, (very knowledgeable. He did not have a answer for me? 

Thank you

I haven't kept GBR's, but just about everything I've seen and read from people who have had long term success with them says the 82° is actually a little on the cool side, and 84° would be better.

I believe they also prefer lower pH.  My water is 8.2 pH and moderately hard, which is why I haven't tried them.

• Like 1

I don't think it's the substrate hurting your cories. I use eco-complete in my 29 gallon with corydoras, and I've never had that problem. I gravel vac a little bit where there aren't any plants. 84 degrees is just about right for German Blue Rams but a bit uncomfortably warm for cories.

Agree that it looks like an infection and a course of antibiotics is a good idea. I wish I had more advice than this. Do you have the numbers for your water parameters? I know you said it's good but numbers are helpful.

• Like 1